Ever Rent Furniture?

Avalon
This topic is 2129 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I had neighbors who would "rent-to-own" but then every couple of months the truck would come back to pick it up. The prices are so high!

Do you have a link or any idea about prices?

I just don't want to happen to this thread what happened to your other thread about taxes: not enough information.

No, but I bought my console table for my flat screen TV from the back clearance room of a furniture rental store. 2 deep dovetail constructed drawers that I store CDs and other stuff. Only paid about $175, can't remember for sure, was 14 years ago. Wish I would have bought both of the ones they had.

The same people who are gung-ho about renting to own are the exact same people who live their lives at check cash in advance businesses. It took my rental office asking me how I was enjoying my furnished apartment one day to get me off my ass and buy a house. When I told them my furniture was my own, they clammed up. Turns out I was over-paying by nearly $300 a month compared to new tenants for almost 4 years. :oops: Frustrating to know I gave my property owner nearly 15 grand more than anybody else over time.

In my personal life I've NEVER rented furniture.

But, when working for a project in Canada, the company provided me with an unfurnished apartment (their expense) and say they would pay for rental furniture. So my two bedroom apartment had rented furniture for the 2 years I was assigned to the project. The only living expenses I occurred was for groceries. The apartment, furniture and utilities were reimbursed monthly thru expense reports.

Rent to own is basically taking advantage of people who don't have money to buy. They are living above their income. But I guess it is no different than buying a $1500 TV with 20% interest. You can make it sound good by saying $35 month but they don't bother calculating the end cost. But I guess it can be like a lease and just send it back when they want something else with I sort of understand.

Rent to own is basically taking advantage of people who don't have money to buy. They are living above their income. But I guess it is no different than buying a $1500 TV with 20% interest. You can make it sound good by saying $35 month but they don't bother calculating the end cost. But I guess it can be like a lease and just send it back when they want something else with I sort of understand.

For a while I investigated investing in Aaron’s Rents - they are far less prolific on the West coast than the Southeast and elsewhere. It’s actually a pretty good business model....but the “faith and justice” part of my Jesuit education starting kicking in and I ended up passing. I’m not sure it’s 100% my responsibility - and there are lots of people who rent that don’t fall into the “living above their income” customer. But yeah, thumbs down on being a part of that for me.

and there are lots of people who rent that don’t fall into the “living above their income” customer. But yeah, thumbs down on being a part of that for me.

You are right, that was a broad generalisation that may not be fully accurate. To rent furniture maybe short term somewhere or knowing temporary I can see it being useful. As long as someone really considers the overall cost if it is worthwhile.

You are right, that was a broad generalisation that may not be fully accurate. To rent furniture maybe short term somewhere or knowing temporary I can see it being useful. As long as someone really considers the overall cost if it is worthwhile.

Realtors staging houses, corporate temporary executive relocations, movie studios...albeit that’s not the major part of the furniture rental clientele but just some examples.