I Aways Wondered About...

OneFinger
This topic is 6597 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It's always been a big joke in Rio de Janeiro that the Catholic Church owns (and leases) the property next to the biggest church in Copacabana to a lurid sex shop with peep shows and a big billboard advertising its presence! Of course, if G-d actually cared about human sexuality, the hypocrites visiting the sex shop, or leasing church property to one, would have been blasted into cinders by now. Obviously, the Almighty must think there are other, more important issues to be concerned about! As for the hypocrisy represented, I'm sure the hypocrites involved will get their just rewards in due time. . .

Guest zipperzone

>It's always been a big joke in Rio de Janeiro that the

>Catholic Church owns (and leases) the property next to the

>biggest church in Copacabana to a lurid sex shop with peep

>shows and a big billboard advertising its presence! Of

>course, if G-d actually cared about human sexuality, the

>hypocrites visiting the sex shop, or leasing church property

>to one, would have been blasted into cinders by now.

>Obviously, the Almighty must think there are other, more

>important issues to be concerned about! As for the hypocrisy

>represented, I'm sure the hypocrites involved will get their

>just rewards in due time. . .

Whenever I hear about the hypocrisy of the Catholic Church I always think of the book "In God's Name" which deals with the murder of a pope about 25 years ago, by members of the Vatican who did not want to allow him to institute the reforms he had planned. I forget the popes name - he was only pope for a very short period - just a few months, at most.

I have always assumed the book must be factual for otherwise the CC would have sued the publisher and had the book taken out of circulation. This never happened and it is still in print and available.

In the book, it lists the many business investments that are owned by the church. The most surprising one to me was that they (who are so opposed to birth control) owned and operated the largest condom manufacturing plant in Europe. If that is not hypocrisy then I don't know what is.

There were also very interesting information about the Vatican bank and it's money laundering techniques.

Its a great read, highly recommended.

>I've been looking for "In God's Name" ever since I re-watched Godfather three.

Just checked on eBay and it's available there. One copy from Canada is about $30. There's also a signed edition from the UK available for about $75.

But, I think I'll try the local library first. Really sounds like an interesting book (assuming it is factual and can be verified). I always amazed at what happens in the name of religion.

Guest zipperzone

>But, I think I'll try the local library first. Really sounds

>like an interesting book (assuming it is factual and can be

>verified). I always amazed at what happens in the name of

>religion.

I don't know what kind of verification you would be looking for but as I stated earlier, the fact that the church with all their battery of lawyers were never able to stop it's publication is indication enough for me that it is factual.

They have put it on their list of books that the faithful are prohibited to read. I always thought that list was kind of stupid. What could possibly get one to read a book faster than be told you can't. And they are trying the same dumb tactict with the movie of The DaVinchi Code.

>I don't know what kind of verification you would be looking for...

Well, for starters, I'd like to see a CSI-style investigation into how the Pope actually died. Perhaps that's been done. Since I'm not Catholic, I've not actually researched the death of JP I.

I've read a lot of books that have made some wild claims that didn't hold up under scientific research. But, it does sound like an interesting book that is worth reading and looking into their claims.

I not willing to accept anything on face value. As a Born-Again Skeptic, I'm not willing to embrace their theory without getting a better feel for it.

Should make for interesting reading this summer. ;-)

Archived