Optimal Chicago Hotel locations

This topic is 2149 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hello!

I’ve decided to take a trip to Chicago during market days and thought I could use it as a “business” trip also. Although, I’m a bit stumped on where to smack my hotel on the Chicago map in regards to ease to the train system, price, accessibility to clients, and etc...

I’d be delighted to receive input by anyone who has completed a trip! Thanks:)

I like the Loop or just north of the loop. It’s easy to get to for you and your clients.

Being in the burbs, I drive in to meet for incall. I've never meet someone in the neighborhoods, but when visiting friends, a lot of narrow streets, and parking can problematic. Plus, if I leave early in case there is traffic, and arrive early, What do I do, or where do I go to kill time beforehand if it's an unfamiliar neighborhood.

Always like if they stay at a hotel, can just leave car with valet. I tell them going to meet a friend for an hour or so (they know what's going on), and more often than not, with a $5 tip, they leave the car off to the side. If early, stop for a pop at the hotel bar. Another $5 tip to get the keys back.

Dont go any further south than that. Personally, downtown is kinda meh to stay at. The heart of the city is in the neighborhoods.

I understand about downtown. I've stayed at the W, and JW on Adams (by Willis Tower). Nice hotels, but it was dead at night. More activity further north.

Edited by bashful

Being in the burbs, I drive in to meet for incall. I've never meet someone in the neighborhoods, but when visiting friends, a lot of narrow streets, and parking can problematic. Plus, if I leave early in case there is traffic, and arrive early, What do I do, or where do I go to kill time beforehand if it's an unfamiliar neighborhood.

Always like if they stay at a hotel, can just leave car with valet. I tell them going to meet a friend for an hour or so (they know what's going on), and more often than not, with a $5 tip, they leave the car off to the side. If early, stop for a pop at the hotel bar. Another $5 tip to get the keys back.

I understand about downtown. I've stayed at the W, and JW on Adams (by Willis Tower). Nice hotels, but it was dead at night. More activity further north.

I have stayed at that downtown W hotel. It’s in the financial district so yeah I can confirm really dead at night.

I’ve locked in a hotel at Grant Park for now while I look for other locations

Grant Park which is also near Millennium Park is a nice place to stay especially if you don’t have any bookings at the time. Excellent place for sight seeing and go up to Mag Mile. You can talk the Red Line train from State Street to Belmont and you’re at the heart of Boystown. You can even take the water taxi along the Chicago river to go to Chinatown. Less expensive option for an architectural tour along the river instead of using the boat tours that are typically 3 or 4 times more. When you get a chance, make a trip north to Andersonville which has its own mini Boystown as well. There are the neighborhood bars along Clark. @tmosphere has go-go dancers from Thursday through Saturday.

Never heard of this Willis tower. Is it new?

Hugs,

Greg

I HEARTILY recommend the Chicago Athletic Association hotel if you want a cool downtown location; the staff is super laid back and valet / parking is easy. It has the perk of having a rooftop deck if clients want to hang out an it has a superb place to eat called the cherry circle room.

https://www.chicagoathletichotel.com/about

If you want a non gay neighborhood experience, check out the Robey Hotel in Bucktown. Awesome building, valet parking, great neighborhood.

https://www.therobey.com/

If you want something affordable / young / cool, check out the Freehand. Part of the building is hostel, and part of the building are hotel rooms. It was designed by Roman and Williams out of NYC, so the style is there.

https://freehandhotels.com/chicago/rooms/

And I would also highly recommend the Ace Hotel int he West loop. awesome neighborhood, easy parking, really cool.

http://www.acehotel.com/chicago

And, if you are looking for an airbnb situation in the middle of the gay nightclub strip (and full disclosure, I own an interest in this though i do not manage it) I know for a fact this airbnb will be perfectly fine to see clients in. Reach out and I can share a link,

I was being a smart ass. Only newbies refer to it as Willis lol

I worked in that building for several years after it became Willis Tower.

Yes, when I moved to Chicago in the 80's, it was Sears Tower, and I called it that for many years after the name change. But, when you walk through those doors 5 days a week, morning and night, for several years, you accept reality, and go with it.

I'm with Greg on the Grant Park hotels - not the best location. My advice is one of the hotels in River North. There's a very nice Hampton Inn on Illinois St right around the corner from the Grand Red Line. There's also a Hilton Garden Inn and an Embassy Suites practically on top of the Grand Red Line. The Wit is in the Loop near the Lake Red Line and the Clark and Lake Blue /Green/Brown/Purple/Orange lines stop. The Blue takes you to O'Hare and the Orange to Midway. Although most of the Loop is dead at night, that area is a bit more lively given the theatres in the area. From a transportation standpoint it cannot be beat.

Thank you for all the advice, I’m trying to figure out how to upload a screenshot via mobile phone to show the area of how the hotels look around boystown. ( they’re all booked, it’s quite funny how the area looks like a dead zone) and sadly the hotels in river north are all in the upward 300 dollar per night category and I wasn’t planning on spending that large of a sum of money for three days :(

Thank you for all the advice, I’m trying to figure out how to upload a screenshot via mobile phone to show the area of how the hotels look around boystown. ( they’re all booked, it’s quite funny how the area looks like a dead zone) and sadly the hotels in river north are all in the upward 300 dollar per night category and I wasn’t planning on spending that large of a sum of money for three days :(

What's it look like for Roger's Park Hampton Inn? Theres hotels in Evanston which are near the purple line. I wouldn't encourage Evanston cause of the distance but the area is safe.

Hugs,

Greg

Theres a Hampton Inn in Rogers Park that is right by the L. It's only 8 or 9 stops from Lakeview. It's a new property about 2 yrs old and the area is very safe. Any where downtown is fine too. We have the best public transport in the country that rarely has major delays.

Hugs,

Greg

Hi Greg, do you know the average rates

I always book a room when meeting with someone

I worked in that building for several years after it became Willis Tower.

Yes, when I moved to Chicago in the 80's, it was Sears Tower, and I called it that for many years after the name change. But, when you walk through those doors 5 days a week, morning and night, for several years, you accept reality, and go with it.

No fucking way. Once the Sears Tower, always the Sears Tower. It would be like forcing a New Yorker to call the Empire State Building the Malkin Tower. In fact, Donald Trump tried to acquire it or acquired part of it. Imagine the horrific possibilities - Trump Tower Manhattan.

No fucking way. Once the Sears Tower, always the Sears Tower. It would be like forcing a New Yorker to call the Empire State Building the Malkin Tower. In fact, Donald Trump tried to acquire it or acquired part of it. Imagine the horrific possibilities - Trump Tower Manhattan.

I understand your loyalty.