Any CA Road Warriors?

LaffingBear
This topic is 2151 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

TUESDAY UPDATE: NOT GOING

Received a last minute invite, spontaneous Independence Day party plans. I'm in SF Bay, party is in LA SFV.

Too late for anything but gouge 'em airfares, rental cars, etc... not worth it for 1-2 nights. So, its drive or dont go.

Common sense tells me not to do the I5 drive days before & after holiday.

Anyone with any CA I5 holiday travel experiences or insights?

Edited by LaffingBear

Add some additional destinations and make it a longer trip. Leave Monday to beat Holiday commute traffic and return later in the week or over the weekend.

Regarding I5 or 101, check google driving directions and choose your route when you depart. 101 has more potential detours and is a beautiful drive. There are also several passes to consider as travel conditions change.

I've driven the 5 on christmas day; if anything it was lighter than at other times I've driven.

Northbound through valencia last friday was not fun; on the way down the previous monday, it was clear sailing until I hit

the glendale free way exit in the SFV. I agree with what ludo said.

5 is my only consideration. Its not a leisurely drive; Im looking to make time.

Right now, still undecided. If I do it, Ill get on road 6-7 am, hoping to arrive mid-day. The idea of hitting snail's pace at Grapevine, 2-3 extra hours if bad holiday traffic throughout, and then going to a party tomorrow afternoon is daunting. As is just driving around 101 in SFV.

And 7/5 day after potential traffic might be worse.

More and more, avoidance seems prudent. If it wasnt last minute, Id have made lengthier plans, flown, etc.

5 is my only consideration. Its not a leisurely drive; Im looking to make time.

Right now, still undecided. If I do it, Ill get on road 6-7 am, hoping to arrive mid-day. The idea of hitting snail's pace at Grapevine, 2-3 extra hours if bad holiday traffic throughout, and then going to a party tomorrow afternoon is daunting. As is just driving around 101 in SFV.

And 7/5 day after potential traffic might be worse.

More and more, avoidance seems prudent. If it wasnt last minute, Id have made lengthier plans, flown, etc.

Find a friend with frequent flier miles that can help you out. For example on 7/3 United still has saver award space SFO-Burbank, and on 7/5 there is saver space from a few airports for the return to SFO. Each segment is 10k miles.

Edited by GBoi

Find a friend with frequent flier miles that can help you out. For example on 7/3 United still has saver award space to SFO-Burbank, and on 7/5 there is saver space at a few airports for the return to SFO. Each segment is 10k miles.

Thats very helpful advice, thanks.

I have gotten more tickets on the 101 than the 5. If you don't already have it, download the WAZE app and pay attention to the reroutes and police warnings. It's pretty incredible, really how much time it has saved us.

+1

WAZE app is incredible, AND...

101 is a speed trap....

Take the 5. It is less scenic, but faster. Years ago I learned to watch the Trucks. If they are going fast, then you can go fast. If they are going slow, that means the CHP is near, so observe the speed limit until you see the Trucks speed up again. Given that this is a Holiday weekend this may be pointless. All the roads may be packed.

If you take the train, the scenery is spectacular along the central coast. There is a stretch through Vandenberg AFB, that is about as close as you can get to seeing what California looked like before 40 million people arrived. Remember the Train arrives in Emeryville in the East Bay, not in San Francisco.