Anyone else have trip anxiety?

gallahadesquire
This topic is 2155 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite a lifetime of travel, that was once enjoyable, I too get some anxiety, especially about getting to the airport. Since I fly out of Boston primarily, I usually will stay at the on-airport Hilton - which is very comfortable though dated. With the car parked away and only a brief walk to the terminal, it makes for a peaceful rest the night before with no traffic and transport worries. Global entry has made the airport experience remarkably less stressful too - security and customs.

As an unfortunate immigrant from Canada residing in the US. I face anxiety every time i come back, even though i have global entry and permanent residency. You are always at the whim of immigration. I travel 2-3 times monthly. Usually domestic, but travel overseas at least once a month as well.

My carry on was pulled over for inspection. It has six compartments: anRF shielded one; a smaller pocket for kindle; bigger bicker for tablet/ laptop; big compartment fir clothes or whatever (pharmacy, books, headphones) and two shoe compartments.

They went through all of them. On the last one, they found a bottle of water that is picked up when not traveling by air.

I'm an idiot but it was fun to watch.

Yes, Global Entry is the best and it gets you tsa pre which makes going through security bearable...

The new twist for international is Mobile Passport. Free app you can even download as arriving, fill out passport and customs info and just flash a barcode they send you at an agent and go out. No line. As fast or faster than Global Entry. Instant and free ! As more people start using it maybe lines will form but for now it's wonderful.

I just came into IAD a week ago from Europe and there were no onboard announcements or flyers about it as I understand other international airlines are providing. There were a couple ads in the airport I noticed but didn't bother trying to find the app. I waited in line (with irritable smelly people off long flights) for over an hour while Global Entry or Mobile Passport people got out in under 30 seconds.

Mobile Passport app

The new twist for international is Mobile Passport. Free app you can even download as arriving, fill out passport and customs info and just flash a barcode they send you at an agent and go out. No line. As fast or faster than Global Entry. Instant and free ! As more people start using it maybe lines will form but for now it's wonderful.

I just came into IAD a week ago from Europe and there were no onboard announcements or flyers about it as I understand other international airlines are providing. There were a couple ads in the airport I noticed but didn't bother trying to find the app. I waited in line (with irritable smelly people off long flights) for over an hour while Global Entry or Mobile Passport people got out in under 30 seconds.

Mobile Passport app

Do you need to have an American passport for this to work?

I'm going to Oklahoma City for the 4th of July, and I'm anxious as hell about it.

Anyone else getting acute anxiety when they travel?

Moderate anxiety when travelling internationally: How do I get from the airport to the city? What if I can't read the signs? Did I bring enough exchanged money until I can get to a bank? etc.

gotta say these travel horror stories are fun to read!

like others in this thread, the only real "anxiety" I feel is very poor sleep the night before if I go to bed knowing I MUST get up at a hard time early the next morning for this very important event (the trip)...…

+1

I'm a very experienced traveler. I'm always sleepless the night before an early flight but once I'm at the airport.....I'm golden. Crap can happen and I just go with the flow. My biggest worry is just waking up. The rest is easy.

+1

I'm a very experienced traveler. I'm always sleepless the night before an early flight but once I'm at the airport.....I'm golden. Crap can happen and I just go with the flow. My biggest worry is just waking up. The rest is easy.

Agree. Last time I flew, I had an 8 hour flight leaving around 10 am. I was sleepless the night before too. I set my alarm for 4 am, reserved a cab for 6 am to be sure there early enough. Surprisingly was pass security by 7am. Went to the club, and joined the other drinkers at the bar. I was surprised at how many of us were there.

Do you need to have an American passport for this to work?

It’s available for US citizens and Canadians. In contrast to the global entry/nexus card, it is not vetted (background check). It does not allow for TSA precheck. I have both global entry and mobile passport. Both are very easy to use and have facilitated travel immensely. It literally takes no wait time, unless you are called in for secondary screening, which some friends have been through (randomly). One got dinged for not declaring a bag of chips (which is considered a “food” item).

Edited by cany10011

I used to get anxiety over travel, but smartphones changed my life.

Now you have complete access to all kinds of information, and help for any trivial inconvenience is only a phone call away.

I don't feel "abandoned" and left to fend for myself anymore on trips...esp. in foreign countries.