MassuerFinder bans undocumented

tassojunior
This topic is 2156 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A friend just told me his and a friend's accounts at MF have been closed because they cannot provide evidence of legal US residency or US drivers license. They both have foreign passports and licenses showing age.

Are others being affected by this and are there work-arounds? I suggested getting an id or license from one of the states that have special ones for the undocumented.

Since MF is in no way employing or receiving a percentage I don't get their logic.

The guy's friend is now working grindr.

Any experiences?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is scarey. It affects a lot of the providers. I dont know why MF or any place one just advertises would care. I know my Czech friends will stop coming over too unless they can do a RentMen or MF "visit" , if RM is also doing this.

Awful.

They are not the ones who care. It’s the Trump administration that cares. “First they came for the undocumented massage therapists...”

A friend just told me his and a friend's accounts at MF have been closed because they cannot provide evidence of legal US residency or US drivers license. They both have foreign passports and licenses showing age.

Are others being affected by this and are there work-arounds? I suggested getting an id or license from one of the states that have special ones for the undocumented.

Since MF is in no way employing or receiving a percentage I don't get their logic.

The guy's friend is now working grindr.

Any experiences?

I'm very sorry to hear that... I wonder if other sites are next.

Thanks @tassojunior for posting this. The hell with MF!

MF was my go to site. Now I find it less useful by the day and the number of masseurs listed is decreasing. They will be gone soon.

They will ALL be gone soon. The so called Trump Administration will see to that.

You do understand that this is all in response to Justice Department directives and enforcement measures, right? Jeff Sessions isn't just sitting at his desk ordering child snatching at the border. He has a VERY full to do list. Harassing gay people may be close to the top.

No one is sitting at MF headquarters and saying to themselves "let's make our site less interesting".

Edited by Typical

I am constantly amazed that people on this forum become upset with websites that are simply trying to stay in business in an environment of increased governmental scrutiny. The websites do not deserve your anger; the government does.

You ask what’s next? Unfortunately, frighteningly, we are on the list. Homosexuals, even privileged white men, are in danger with this administration. That is where our anger and our money should be going - to defeat them before it’s too late.

These are the warning signs.

I am constantly amazed that people on this forum become upset with websites that are simply trying to stay in business in an environment of increased governmental scrutiny. The websites do not deserve your anger; the government does.

You ask what’s next? Unfortunately, frighteningly, we are on the list. Homosexuals, even privileged white men, are in danger with this administration. That is where our anger and our money should be going - to defeat them before it’s too late.

These are the warning signs.

Yeah. It is funny how people sometimes point their ire in the totally wrong direction. It is pretty classic manipulation by those in charge to incite disharmony amongst those who should be allied against the powers that be. This is a small but interesting example of the phenomenon.

Vote this November. And if you can, contribute to the Democrats. If Republicans maintain both sides of Congress this year, you won't recognize this country by 2020. Trust me: finding a massage therapist will be the very least of your problems.

There's colors on the street

Red, white and blue

People shufflin' their feet

People sleepin' in their shoes

But there's a warnin' sign

on the road ahead

There's a lot of people sayin'

we'd be better off dead

Don't feel like Satan,

but I am to them

So I try to forget it,

any way I can.

~Neil Young, Rockin' in The Free World~

No. This is not in response to any government directive. Its nonsense for a gay web site on which guys advertise to start doing immigration checks.

If you advertise in the Washington Post to cut grass or clean gutters they don't do an immigration check on you.

If MF were checking to see if someone were a licensed massuer it would be different. But they don't.

If an undocumented person advertised on MF there is no way the government would do anything to MF. If it were a lapdance club or strip club it would be different. But many of those are undocumented !

A gay business should not be checking immigration status any more than is legally required.

Sorry, this us an instance of one of our gay sites acting more fascist than Trump. And it's up us to let MassuerFinder know that the gay community will not tolerate this unneccessary and unwarranted intrusion into advertisers' personal lives.

If MF sets this precedent RentMen will follow, gay bars will check employees, strippers will be checked, advertisers in gay papers will be checked, for immigration status.

It"s an outrageous intrusion by RentMassuer that cannot be tolerated by the gay community. Too many of our brothers and sisters will lose their livlihoods. It is pitting gays against immigrants for no reason required by law.

Edited by tassojunior

No. This is not in response to any government directive. Its nonsense for a gay web site on which guys advertise to start doing immigration checks.

If you advertise in the Washington Post to cut grass or clean gutters they don't do an immigration check on you.

If MF were checking to see if someone were a licensed massuer it would be different. But they don't.

If an undocumented person advertised on RM there is no way the government would do anything to RM. If it were a lapdance club or strip club it would be different. But many of those are undocumented !

Sorry, this us an instance of one of our gay sites acting more fascist than Trump. And it's up us to let MassuerFinder know that the gay community will not tolerate this unneccessary and unwarranted intrusion into advertisers' personal lives.

If MF sets this precedent RentMen will follow, gay bars will check employees, strippers will be checked, advertisers in gay papers will be checked, for immigration status.

It"s an outrageous intrusion by RentMassuer that cannot be tolersted by the gay community. Too many of our brothers and sisters will lose their livlihoods.

Besides it's outrageous that the site requires an ID for someone to post an ad.

Guest MikeThomas

If an undocumented person advertised on RM there is no way the government would do anything to RM. If it were a lapdance club or strip club it would be different. But many of those are undocumented !

It"s an outrageous intrusion by RentMassuer that cannot be tolersted by the gay community. Too many of our brothers and sisters will lose their livlihoods.

You mean MF in your last paragraph... I think.

Just so you are clear: This is in direct response to Justice Department actions, policies and inquires. The Justice Department is looking for ways to shut down such sites. Employing or facilitating the employment of undocumented people is perhaps grounds for action. (Action successful or not, who knows... Does MF have the resources to contest such a case? Of course not!)

Again, MF is not sitting around trying to make life difficult for their clients. They couldn't care less where your masseur was born. They wish to make money. They are being reasonably cautious in this environment.

And does the Washington Post sell ads to grass cutters or gutter cleaners? I really don't know. Seems improbable. And even if they did, the two situations are in no way comparable.

You are directing your ire at the wrong target.

Just so you are clear: This is in direct response to Justice Department actions, policies and inquires. The Justice Department is looking for ways to shut down such sites. Employing or facilitating the employment of undocumented.

They are not employing. They are simply running an ad. There is ZERO chance of them being shut for immigration problems of advertisers. That is the furthest of their potential problems.

Maybe they think that by appearing more-right-wing-than-thou they will get brownie points to use against any FOSTA action. Not how it works.

If anything they are shooting themselves in the foot because if they can check immigration status of advertisers they can sure check state licensing status. This was exactly the government's position in the BackPage case; that BP helped the advertisers with suggestions on ads and reviewed much of their information, therefore they were not just a neutral advertising site.

Awful move on their part.

Edited by tassojunior

How? Email? Call? What should we write or say so they get it?

Im actually at the end of a vacation in Prague right now but I am composing a hot email to MassuerFinder. I have used their services many times and suggested it to many friends. This unwarranted action makes me view them in a very hostile light now.

They are not employing. They are simply running an ad. There is ZERO chance of them being shut for immigration problems of advertisers. That is the furthest of their potential problems.

Maybe they think that by appearing more-right-wing-than-thou they will get brownie points to use against any FOSTA action. Not how it works.

If anything they are shooting themselves in the foot because if they can check immigration status of advertisers they can sure check state licensing status.

Awful move on their part.

Agree. 100%.

They are not doing “immigration checks” per se, they are checking IDs, which those masseurs cannot provide.

Comparing an advertisement in a national newspaper for landscaping, etc. to an adult-oriented website advertising massages is absurd. And, again, they’re not checking immigration, they’re ensuring identification.

If an undocumented person advertised on MF there is no way the government would do anything to MF. If it were a lapdance club or strip club it would be different. But many of those are undocumented !

Are you certain about that? Are you SURE the government wouldn’t do anything? In today’s political climate, as a business owner, you can’t be sure. As someone mentioned upthread, maybe they don’t want to take the chance. I know I wouldn’t.

A gay business should not be checking immigration status any more than is legally required.

And that’s what they’re doing, requesting ID to ensure the advertiser is over the age of consent.

How is this an intrusion on their personal lives? If you want to advertise on an adult-oriented website, proof is needed that you’re of the majority age. You cannot purchase a vehicle without a license. You know the dealer would be more than willing to sell you the car if they could get away with not following the rules, but that could cause problems. Same thing here.

Employers are REQUIRED to check employees’ immigration status with either a Social Security card or an I-9 form before hiring them. Why do you think this should not be done?

It"s an outrageous intrusion by RentMassuer that cannot be tolerated by the gay community. Too many of our brothers and sisters will lose their livlihoods. It is pitting gays against immigrants for no reason required by law.

Wow! Talk about histrionics! It’s not an intrusion. I doubt these people will “lose their livelihood” from not being able to advertise on a particular website. And no one is pitting the gay community against “immigrants” (by the way, you left out the word ‘illegal’). Do you think that because this website doesn’t allow them to advertise that the gay community is suddenly going to hate immigrants, or the particular website? Why would this website’s policies change the way one would feel about immigrants? That makes no sense.

As a business owner, my primary responsibility is to make sure my business stays up, running and viable. It would not be a stretch for the government to come in and say, “See! Cruiser is contributing to the sex slave trade! He even allows undocumented immigrants (the most victimized) to advertise on his website. Why, he didn’t even check to be sure they’re of legal age, he never checked their IDs at all! This has to stop!” Whether or not any of that is true isn’t the point. The point is I’m not going to lose my business by defending against these charges. I’d rather err on the side of caution and not permit the advertisement at all.

By the way, illegal immigrants (or as the politically correct love to say for some reason, ‘undocumented’) are not supposed to work in the United States without the proper...you guessed it...documentation!

backpage did not employ or receive a percentage either? I believe this is SOSTA related. From what I heard from providers, they were asking for massage license etc, apart from no shirtless ads.

SOSTA is going to end up like this child separation law with draconian measures being taken by hungry empty pension law enforcement types all over, looking to fill their coffers. Nobody will defend our kind either. Laws on books matter.

If you want to argue that MF is correct in asking for identification, Cruiser, then at least make the correct argument. They are not simply checking IDs to ensure the advertiser is of legal age; they are insisting advertisers have government identification issued by a government authority in the US. I don't think anyone would argue that refusing ads from minors is wrong. And if someone wants a fake ID I think it's pretty easy to get one still, so who are they fooling anyway? Since all of this is being done on line, not in person, it seems like it would be very easy for someone to submit something that looks like legitimate ID that is merely something Photoshopped on a computer. Since MF is not employing the advertisers, there is no law requiring them to document advertisers' authority to work in the US so all MF is doing is a poor "cover your ass" action that isn't necessary but that sends a negative message, at least to some in our community.

I personally think MF is going overboard in its reaction to the current political climate. The website became much less useful when they removed the categories. Then came their stupid shirtless photo rule. Now this. Maybe the site owners should simply shut down their site because, from my perspective, they are steadily making choices that will drive away business -- both advertisers and potential customers.