Man in an Orange Shirt

BigK
This topic is 1651 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I watched this tonight on PBS'S Masterpiece Theater telling the story of gay love in the 1940's which then jumps to a view of gay love today. I was somewhat interested in the first hour but then the 2nd hour jumping to a 3rd generation with Vanessa Redgrave playing the matriarch the is the thread through all 3 generations.

It replays tomorrow. I recommend it.

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/television/2018/06/pbs_man_in_an_orange_shirt_tells_of_forbidden_love_over_generations

I remember the world as it was; and I live the world as it is now. The ending was very moving for me. Grandpa made it possible for Grandson to find love.

Loved this! Redgrave played the "conservative" wife/grandmother--quite a switch for her. But, she got her licks in during the final hour when she explains to another character that it's hard to change and it was hard for her to "ease into liberalism."

Solid production. Highly recommended.

Loved this! Redgrave played the "conservative" wife/grandmother--quite a switch for her. But, she got her licks in during the final hour when she explains to another character that it's hard to change and it was hard for her to "ease into liberalism."

Solid production. Highly recommended.

I also liked it. All the acting is great, including Frances de la Tour and Vanessa Redgrave. It must have been difficult for Redgrave to play such a conservative, anti-gay character who had to spew rather horrible language. But she is an actress after all. At my age it is still hard to be comfortable with all the male-to-male bonding on television. It was ironic however that they still had to put a "warning" regarding some of the "disturbing" contents at the beginning of the program. I wonder if that was just in America or if it also had to be shown in the BBC's version?

I also liked it. All the acting is great, including Frances de la Tour and Vanessa Redgrave. It must have been difficult for Redgrave to play such a conservative, anti-gay character who had to spew rather horrible language. But she is an actress after all. At my age it is still hard to be comfortable with all the male-to-male bonding on television. It was ironic however that they still had to put a "warning" regarding some of the "disturbing" contents at the beginning of the program. I wonder if that was just in America or if it also had to be shown in the BBC's version?

The PBS version, which is the version I saw at Frameline, was not the same as the BBC version. It was edited to spare us the "disturbing" image of Julian Morris's ass, among other things.

I watched it last night and loved it as well. Realizing it was not all that crucial to the story, I was curious about what happened to Michael, the grandfather, and to Adam's father (Michaels' son, who we only saw as a child). They made a brief reference to Michael dying young but that was about it, and it certainly seemed that Flora and Adam were the sole surviving members of the family.

And Oliver Jackson-Cohen; damn, very easy to watch (not to mention Julian Morris). I was convinced that Oliver Jackson-Cohen was another Oliver, Oliver Stark, who was in "Into the Badlands". Both have amazing chests :-)

• 1 year later...