American parents invented 1,100 new baby names last year

Avalon
This topic is 2190 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this case I’m with Germany where they have an extensive list you can choose from.

Back to the land of the free and absurd. Among my favorites are:

LaTrina

VelVeeta

La’Dasha (the ‘ is silent)

All true.

Probably not true.

Family name King. Baby name Nosmo.

Last thing mom saw being wheeled in was a No Smoking sign. Hence NoSmo king. I truly hope this isn’t true.

In French-speaking Africa, there are quite a lot of people called “FetNat”.

This is because people were used to call their child based on the catholic saint <something> that they found on the printed calendar, nearly always written in French. So if you were born on June 23, you were likely to be called “Jean” (John) because June 23 is the catholic tradition to celebrate Saint John. Every day of the year has a prominent catholic saint with a common name.

But on the 14th of July, there was no saint name printed on the French calendar, that spot was taken by the abbreviation “Fêt. Nat.” which was meant to mean “fête national” (national holiday, which is bastille day in France).

Most people had no idea it was not a Saint, (they were African farmers, why would they know or care about bastille day after all?) and so they called their child an abbreviation.

In this case I’m with Germany where they have an extensive list you can choose from.

Back to the land of the free and absurd. Among my favorites are:

LaTrina

LaTrina is to close to latrine?

However some of the names in the list are not new inventions, just ethnic names-I know people with those names- ethnic adults.

My first partner's first name was Geta, which people who only saw it or heard it usually assumed was a female's name. This was sometimes convenient for me, back in the Dark Ages pre-Stonewall, when I casually discussed my domestic situation with strangers. The name could have been awkward for him, but he was a Southern WASP (bless their little quirks!), and it was also his father's name, so he usually added "Jr." to make his gender clear. Serena Williams' new baby girl, however, is legally named Alexis Ohanion, Jr., after her father, which seems really perverse to me, although her parents at least seem to refer to her as "Olympia," which is her middle name. I agree with Quora that it is not fair to a child to give it a name which inevitably causes confusion and mistakes when the child is growing up and claiming his or her identity among peers. Let the child choose its own odd name or spelling for itself when it is an adult.

My first partner's first name was Geta, which people who only saw it or heard it usually assumed was a female's name. This was sometimes convenient for me, back in the Dark Ages pre-Stonewall, when I casually discussed my domestic situation with strangers. The name could have been awkward for him, but he was a Southern WASP (bless their little quirks!), and it was also his father's name, so he usually added "Jr." to make his gender clear. Serena Williams' new baby girl, however, is legally named Alexis Ohanion, Jr., after her father, which seems really perverse to me, although her parents at least seem to refer to her as "Olympia," which is her middle name. I agree with Quora that it is not fair to a child to give it a name which inevitably causes confusion and mistakes when the child is growing up and claiming his or her identity among peers. Let the child choose its own odd name or spelling for itself when it is an adult.

When I think of the name "Geta" I think of the son of the Roman Emperor Septimius Severus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geta_(emperor)

Bingo! That was actually the source of his name, bestowed on his father by his Latin-history-loving grandfather.

I hope he didn't have a brother named Caracalla.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caracalla

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sorry Virgil but my favorite Roman poet is Ovid because of his Metamorphoses and Fasti. Most of his other works are too female for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ovid

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Virgil himself was gay. And in his Aeneid he has two same-sex lovers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nisus_and_Euryalus

Edited by Avalon