Happy Victoria Day

Avalon
This topic is 2216 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When I was young growing up in Ontario Canada we always referred to the Victoria Day holiday as either "The 24th of May"or "firecracker day" . Our allegiances now are for Canada day on July 1st although some people still explode fireworks on the Victoria Day holiday.

When I was working in a factory while going to university, an American head office official called the plant perplexed he could not reach any of the bosses on May 20. The caller was told it was a Canadian holiday. "What holiday is that", the American asked "The 24th of May he was told.

I remember growing up in Seattle in the '70's, the last big event of the school year for my High School Band was taking the ferry to Victoria, B.C. to march in the Victoria Day Parade. I was never part of the school band (due to being tone-deaf & musically inept)--but I was regaled by the lucky participants, who had numerous stories of sneaking beer back to their hotel rooms (thanks to fake IDs). I don't think Queen Victoria would have been amused.