Subliminal Suggestions?

sync
This topic is 2181 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There is so much more irrational talk and behavior invading our society these days, my paranoia needs cyber-savvy individuals to assure me that bad actors do not have the capability to implant subliminal suggestions into social media platforms.

Please, hit me up with some media comfort.

Sorry, but they do.

It's inherent in all social media platforms.

Why do you think Social Media company founders are Billionaires? They attracted a lot of subscribers?

So not the answers I wanted, but thanks for the reality check.

There is so much more irrational talk and behavior invading our society these days, my paranoia needs cyber-savvy individuals to assure me that bad actors do not have the capability to implant subliminal suggestions into social media platforms.

Please, hit me up with some media comfort.

I do not believe this is even possible, specific to subliminal suggestion as the phrase is used by the general public, which is to say a technique to convey meaningful information some way that a person is not able to consciously perceive, even if the suggestion is explicitly pointed out to the person, with the effect of modifying that person's conscious attitudes or behaviors in a specific way. Does that help? ;)

I do believe there may be a strategy of chaos around the phenomena of misattribution of arousal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misattribution_of_arousal

Maybe not so helpful... :p

• 2 weeks later...

It's called pareidolia. But here is the thing. Even you you believe you can see something, and even if you believe that editing an image to suggest something is effective (stories about people doing this verge on urban legends, there are never first person accounts, it's always hearsay), the evidence shows it doesn't work. Believing something doesn't make true.

It turns out the story that started the whole thing was a lie:

snopes.com: Popcorn Subliminal Advertising