5 Star Hotel and/or Restaurant Ratings

tanman4u
This topic is 2189 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I do a fair amount of reviews on TripAdvisor and Yelp on hotels and restaurants when I'm traveling. Especially if I've used either of those to choose a place I feel like I should do a review myself.

This past trip I stayed at a couple of very nice high end hotels, and I stayed at a couple of Holiday Inn Express'. All were great hotels. But how can I justify giving a 5 star rating to an Intercontinental Hotel and also to the HIEX? I mean normally a HIEX would be considered a 2-3 star category hotel. But if I gave then 2-3 stars for my review it would indicated that I didn't like it as much.

Same with restaurants. I ate in two of what are considered the top restaurants where I was and hell yea they were 5 star quality. But I also ate in a couple of very local places that wonderful food and great service. It would be a disservice to them in Yelp if I only gave them 3 stars, etc.

In the end I wound up giving 5 stars to the places in all four of my examples above and just hope anyone reading them realizes it's not quite an apple to apple thing.

What say you?

Different interpretations. There is no absolute correct when dealing with opinions.

If I get great friendly service and delicious food in a sparkling clean diner.... isn't that 5-star?

I tend to think of review sites based upon my expectations, and whether they were met, or exceeded. Ive only written a few on TripAdvisor, and I tried to be thorough in explanations and details. I use Yelp alot. Ive given 5-stars to food trucks, and less to Michelin Star restaurants that were excellent but didn't wow me.

@LaffingBear is right, it is how well they did respective to your expectations.

Given a local restaurant charges much less than a Michelin rated one, you can give them 5 stars if they met all your expectations, given the price you paid.

Similarly, a 5 star hotel at $500 a night that had a rude guy at the front desk deserves a bad review, even if everything else was perfect. At that price, they should have enough money to train him appropriately.

It’s like competitive diving scores. In that case, there’s one for the degree of difficulty and one for the execution. When I look at hotel listings, I distinguish (on, for example, Hotwire) the rating for the type of hotel, which is determined by services and amenities, and the quality rating from customers.

In college courses, a student can receive an “A” in a 100-level course and later on in a 400-level course in the same subject area. Someone reading the transcript understands that while both grades reflect excellent work, the 400-level course required a different level of mastery.

I don't see the dots on the tripadvisor reviews the same as stars or diamonds given by a book reviewing hotel sites. The stars review how luxurious the facility is. The dots on a tripadvisor report relate to how well that hotel does in relationship to other hotels of that quality. At a Holiday Inn Express, I would rate with 5 dots a property which is clean, quiet, functional, has friendly staff, a decent breakfast line-up, and internet which works well. For an InterContinental hotel, I expect a luxurious experience with plenty of attentive staff, a luxurious bathroom, beautiful common areas, and knowledgeable and available concierges, in addition to anything I would expect with a 3-star property such as a HIX.

I don't see the dots on the tripadvisor reviews the same as stars or diamonds given by a book reviewing hotel sites. The stars review how luxurious the facility is. The dots on a tripadvisor report relate to how well that hotel does in relationship to other hotels of that quality. At a Holiday Inn Express, I would rate with 5 dots a property which is clean, quiet, functional, has friendly staff, a decent breakfast line-up, and internet which works well. For an InterContinental hotel, I expect a luxurious experience with plenty of attentive staff, a luxurious bathroom, beautiful common areas, and knowledgeable and available concierges, in addition to anything I would expect with a 3-star property such as a HIX.

Thank you, that validates what I was thinking.