The Island House Key West

Robbie L
This topic is 1553 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, bars, eats (not much of a foodie here), young men such as yourself to spend a little time with, a bit of debauchery. All the things that make a vacation great.

I do believe that @OliverSaks will be snowbirding in KW for an extended timeframe:

https://www.companyofmen.org/threads/key-west-fl-1-21-3-15.155247/

The bar scene in KW has gotten stronger on the straight side and very weak for the gay community. With the island more popular than ever and a continued cruise ship stop, the mecca that once was is no longer. That's not a bad thing... Just different.

801 Bourbon, Bourbon St Pub, Aqua, Backbar, LaTeDa, Saloon 1 and Bobby's Monkey Bar are all spots to hit. LaTeDa still has Tea Dance on Sundays (and killer bloody marys). Bourbon Pub's outside back bar can be fun with the right amount of cocktailage (Mark makes em' strong) and the gumption to strip down for a swim (there's a pool and hottub back there). Saloon 1 is the resident leather/kink bar on the island: It's a fun place to have a cheap drink and watch the popular big dick contest on Friday night. It's good for an adequate amount of sleaze, even if it's now feels a bit manufactured.

Eat at Half Shell Raw Bar, Santiago's Bodega, NineOneFIve and BO's Fish Wagon. You're not going to go hungry in KW, but try to stay away from the many chains that have opened on Duval and you should be fine.

Enjoy your time down there. It's still an incredibly special little place :)

I do believe that @OliverSaks will be snowbirding in KW for an extended timeframe:

https://www.companyofmen.org/threads/key-west-fl-1-21-3-15.155247/

The bar scene in KW has gotten stronger on the straight side and very weak for the gay community. With the island more popular than ever and a continued cruise ship stop, the mecca that once was is no longer. That's not a bad thing... Just different.

801 Bourbon, Bourbon St Pub, Aqua, Backbar, LaTeDa, Saloon 1 and Bobby's Monkey Bar are all spots to hit. LaTeDa still has Tea Dance on Sundays (and killer bloody marys). Bourbon Pub's outside back bar can be fun with the right amount of cocktailage (Mark makes em' strong) and the gumption to strip down for a swim (there's a pool and hottub back there). Saloon 1 is the resident leather/kink bar on the island: It's a fun place to have a cheap drink and watch the popular big dick contest on Friday night. It's good for an adequate amount of sleaze, even if it's now feels a bit manufactured.

Eat at Half Shell Raw Bar, Santiago's Bodega, NineOneFIve and BO's Fish Wagon. You're not going to go hungry in KW, but try to stay away from the many chains that have opened on Duval and you should be fine.

Enjoy your time down there. It's still an incredibly special little place :)

Thanks Benjamin!

I will indeed be in town, thanks for the shout @Benjamin_Nicholas

I love the Blu Q catamaran for a sunset cruise, very friendly crew and a lovely way to see the sunset. (http://www.bluqkeywest.com/)

zachary Taylor state park is also great for spending a beach day and ending with a lovely sunset view

haven’t been myself, but apparently there is a nude beach on Boca Chica (Geiger beach) - will probably investigate this coming weekend

happy to recommend things / shuttle for a drive up the keys if you’re interested

Thanks Benjamin!

I love the Blu Q catamaran for a sunset cruise, very friendly crew and a lovely way to see the sunset. (http://www.bluqkeywest.com/)

zachary Taylor state park is also great for spending a beach day and ending with a lovely sunset view

haven’t been myself, but apparently there is a nude beach on Boca Chica (Geiger beach) - will probably investigate this coming weekend

happy to recommend things / shuttle for a drive up the keys if you’re interested

Thanks Benjamin!

Thanks Oliver! I looked at the Blu Q schedule and am considering my options. Sunset cruise sounds nice as does a day out on the water. Not sure how much touring I am going to do while there. I am traveling right now so I might just stay put in Key West. Perhaps we can meet for a drink if your around so I can say thanks.

Thanks Oliver! I looked at the Blu Q schedule and am considering my options. Sunset cruise sounds nice as does a day out on the water. Not sure how much touring I am going to do while there. I am traveling right now so I might just stay put in Key West. Perhaps we can meet for a drink if your around so I can say thanks.

THIS 100%. Capt Steve and Capt Mo are really super guys who run a great gay boat.

@mattr If Sandbar Sundays are going on while you're down, book it. It's the perfect way to spend the day.

Thanks Benjamin. Sandbar Sundays sounds like fun. I am flying home ay 6:30 on Sunday night so it should be doable. I might have to fly home a little salty and sweaty but so be it. lol

THIS 100%. Capt Steve and Capt Mo are really super guys who run a great gay boat.

@mattr If Sandbar Sundays are going on while you're down, book it. It's the perfect way to spend the day.

Thanks Benjamin. Sandbar Sundays sounds like fun. I am flying home ay 6:30 on Sunday night so it should be doable. I might have to fly home a little salty and sweaty but so be it. lol

If you want a glimpse of the Key West for which brother @Benjamin_Nicholas is nostalgic, check out the TV series Key West on YouTube.

It ran for only 13 episodes in 1993 and then was summarily dropped by FOX without notice or the courtesy of a rerun.

It involved a young disgruntled New Jersey guy who hops into his convertible, drives it onto a beach and into the waves in Key West, draws a pistol and shoots it. He’s a Hemingway wannabe who starts by taking a job at the local newspaper whose owner editor is blind. Jennifer Tilley is the whore next door. It gets more quirky with each episode. All this I remember from 27 years ago.

When I looked it up on IMDB for this post I discovered all 13 episodes are now somehow available on YouTube. And if you’ll excuse me I’ve got some binge viewing to catch up on.

I have only ever visited Island House on a day pass. My personal preference is to stay at Alexander's and visit Island House on a day pass.

Alexander's is a beautiful property, the staff are excellent and I love the calm and serenity of the place at night. In recent years its clientele has become more mixed. You will have straight couples staying as well as mixed groups of straight/gay friends. The mix will be different each time you stay and if you're a solo male traveller looking to mingle you may be disappointed.

Island House can be a lot of fun. The gym has been refurbished in the past year or so and it's nice to people watch from the poolside cafe bar. But I prefer the option to escape if someone is being a bit overbearing.