"Miles" On Netflix

Avalon
This topic is 2180 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In the early 70's there was a controversy in our high school about a guy who wanted to sign up for Home Economics, specifically the cooking class. If I remember correctly, our principal was quoted in the high school newspaper as saying "If he wants to learn to cook he can get a job at McDonald's." He was allowed to take the class, in the end.

In the early 70's there was a controversy in our high school about a guy who wanted to sign up for Home Economics, specifically the cooking class. If I remember correctly, our principal was quoted in the high school newspaper as saying "If he wants to learn to cook he can get a job at McDonald's." He was allowed to take the class, in the end.

I was in 4H for three years. The first two years I raised a steer each year. The last year I took home economics. The class was all boys taught by one boy's mother. We put on a luncheon for our mothers.

• 3 weeks later...

In junior high school in the mid ‘50’s, some forward thinking educator got the idea for a grand switch: the girls would take shop and we would take home economics. I can remember preparing Welsh rarebit and biscuits. Not sure what the girls accomplished. The program lasted a single term. It seems we guys were notorious for pranks like mixing some soap powder into the flour which made classes after the first period problematic.