Does Anyone Remember This Movie?

Avalon
This topic is 2208 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It's a coming out story akin to "Doing Time On Maple Drive" and "Consenting Adult". From that same time period. I can not remember its name.

It's about a high school boy who is struggling with his sexuality. I can only remember one scene. He's alone in a classroom with a male teacher. The teacher writes on the blackboard "I AM GAY" and then erases it. No one at the school knows that he is gay. He tells the boy that he has a partner and they have a good life.

Welcome Home, Bobby (1986 TV Movie)

• When a Chicago teen is arrested for drug possession, the ensuing investigation reveals that he has had sexual contact with an older man. Discovering his sexual encounter, other students start shunning him and call for his expulsion from school. His conservative blue-collar dad also rejects him, while his mother does try to offer support.

MV5BMTQ4Nzg0NDA2Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzY0MjA0OQ@@._V1_UX32_CR0,0,32,44_AL_.jpg Timothy Williams ... Bobby

MV5BMTY2NjI0MzYwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDEyNjcxOA@@._V1_UX32_CR0,0,32,44_AL_.jpg Tony Lo Bianco ... Bobby's dad

MV5BMTY4MzUyNzE5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzAxODg1._V1_UX32_CR0,0,32,44_AL_.jpg Adam Baldwin ... Cleary

name-2138558783._CB499603809_.png Anthony Candell ... Donny Cavalero

MV5BMTc4OTgzMDI4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjMyMjY5MDI@._V1_UX32_CR0,0,32,44_AL_.jpg Nan Woods ... Beth

name-2138558783._CB499603809_.png Stephen James ... Mark Reed (the older man)

MV5BMTk5NTg5NzkxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDA4MTQ4NA@@._V1_UX32_CR0,0,32,44_AL_.jpg John Karlen ... Geffin (Bobby's teacher)

name-2138558783._CB499603809_.png Gisela Caldwell ... Rose Cavalero

MV5BMTc5MjE2NjkyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjYxMzM1NDE@._V1_UX32_CR0,0,32,44_AL_.jpg John Pleshette ... John Hammill

Welcome Home, Bobby is a made-for-TV movie that aired on the U.S. television network CBS in early 1986, and was one of the first TV movies in the U.S. to portray openly gay teenagers. The plot centered around a troubled high school student (Timothy Williams) from an old-fashioned Italian family, who, even though he has a girlfriend (Nan Woods) at school, falls in love with an older man in his mid-thirties, and then finds himself the object of ridicule, both at school and at home with his father, played by Tony Lo Bianco. The movie also starred Adam Baldwin, John Karlen and Moira Harris.

Although the TV movie carried a message for the gay community and its acceptance into the mainstream, CBS only aired Welcome Home, Bobby once. It was filmed on location in Illinois in the spring of 1985.

Edited by samhexum

Welcome Home, Bobby (1986 TV Movie)???????

• When a Chicago teen is arrested for drug possession, the ensuing investigation reveals that he has had sexual contact with an older man. Discovering his sexual encounter, other students start shunning him and call for his expulsion from school. His father as his conservative blue-collar dad also rejects him, while his mother does try to offer support.

MV5BMTQ4Nzg0NDA2Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzY0MjA0OQ@@._V1_UX32_CR0,0,32,44_AL_.jpg Timothy Williams ... Bobby

MV5BMTY2NjI0MzYwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDEyNjcxOA@@._V1_UX32_CR0,0,32,44_AL_.jpg Tony Lo Bianco ... Bobby's dad

MV5BMTY4MzUyNzE5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzAxODg1._V1_UX32_CR0,0,32,44_AL_.jpg Adam Baldwin ... Cleary

name-2138558783._CB499603809_.png Anthony Candell ... Donny Cavalero

MV5BMTc4OTgzMDI4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjMyMjY5MDI@._V1_UX32_CR0,0,32,44_AL_.jpg Nan Woods ... Beth

name-2138558783._CB499603809_.png Stephen James ... Mark Reed (the older man)

MV5BMTk5NTg5NzkxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDA4MTQ4NA@@._V1_UX32_CR0,0,32,44_AL_.jpg John Karlen ... Geffin (Bobby's teacher)

name-2138558783._CB499603809_.png Gisela Caldwell ... Rose Cavalero

MV5BMTc5MjE2NjkyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjYxMzM1NDE@._V1_UX32_CR0,0,32,44_AL_.jpg John Pleshette ... John Hammill

Welcome Home, Bobby is a made-for-TV movie that aired on the U.S. television network CBS in early 1986, and was one of the first TV movies in the U.S. to portray openly gay teenagers. The plot centered around a troubled high school student (Timothy Williams) from an old-fashioned Italian family, who, even though he has a girlfriend (Nan Woods) at school, falls in love with an older man in his mid-thirties, and then finds himself the object of ridicule, both at school and at home with his father, played by Tony Lo Bianco. The movie also starred Adam Baldwin, John Karlen and Moira Harris.

Although the TV movie carried a message for the gay community and its acceptance into the mainstream, CBS only aired Welcome Home, Bobby once. It was filmed on location in Illinois in the spring of 1985.

THANK-YOU so very much!!!

I see that it is available on YouTube.

Here's your scene. I wonder if Mary Beth knew... ***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sd1_EVdlK0

*** Coincidentally, "Bobby" appeared in an episode of Cagney & Lacey the same year he made this movie. Small world!

Thanks again! I watched the entire movie today. Interesting that all I could remember was that one scene. I don't know if anyone else is going to watch it so I won't give away any spoilers.

It's a coming out story akin to "Doing Time On Maple Drive" and "Consenting Adult". From that same time period. I can not remember its name.

It's about a high school boy who is struggling with his sexuality. I can only remember one scene. He's alone in a classroom with a male teacher. The teacher writes on the blackboard "I AM GAY" and then erases it. No one at the school knows that he is gay. He tells the boy that he has a partner and they have a good life.

A little off topic, but I only discovered "Doing Time On Maple Drive" late in its life - 15 years after release date. Enjoyed it immensely. Not your typical Jim Carrey movie, that's for sure!

A little off topic, but I only discovered "Doing Time On Maple Drive" late in its life - 15 years after release date. Enjoyed it immensely. Not your typical Jim Carrey movie, that's for sure!

The actor Philip Linton who played the best friend Andy died before the release of the film. I've wondered about the cause of death. He was only 28yo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doing_Time_on_Maple_Drive