TRADING SPACES & WHILE YOU WERE OUT reboots

This topic is 1473 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

OPINIONS?

I'm just happy that when you watch it on demand, you can fast-forward through it. So few networks allow that anymore.

John Gidding is one of the new designers. He looked great on the reunion show with short hair.

1a23c2c341306d672834e6aec51d7281--my-future-husband-gorgeous-men.jpg

Edited by samhexum

• 4 weeks later...

I watched the first three to remind me of how ridiculous these shows actually were. The "bad" designs are awful, and those rooms will clearly have to be redone. Even the "good" rooms have major elements that would only look good from a distance, and would have to be awful to live with. I can't believe that people will keep that terrible slapped-together furniture made from painted MDF. That might work for sitcom sets, but not real life. At least each couple gets a free chachke from Overstock dot com.

• 9 months later...

Next week's WHILST YOU WERE OUT is going to feature a pair of designer teams... Frank & Vern from TRADING SPACES versus Hillary & David from LOVE IT OR LIST IT. It should be interesting seeing Hillary & David working together & him attempting to be a designer.

Trading Spaces has apparently promoted Ty Pennington and Carter Oosterhouse to "designer." There was a great moment on this week's episode where Carter unveiled his intention to glue a few dozen brightly colored frisbees to a wall. One of the homeowners said, "Are you trying to be Hildi?"

This show is becoming a guilty pleasure for me, once again. It's amazing to see designers pitching these slapped-together craft project collections as finished rooms. Most of them look like community theater set design.

Hideous Hildi was back last night. The couple that was working with her hated the design. The wife was in tears over what she was doing to her friend's master bedroom. The friend was a good sport about it, at least.

David & Hillary were kinda fun on WYWO. David had to be bleeped twice; I guess he's not used to doing so much manual labor. Vanilla Ice is one of the designers next week. My friend told me Hildi was the designer on one episode already and the homeowner hated what she did.

Edited by samhexum

I'm starting to wonder if the couples that go on Trading Spaces set aside a budget for correcting or undoing what will probably be done to their rooms.

I think that when a Trading Spaces couple runs to their neighbors' house and enters the room to find Hildi Santo Tomas as the assigned designer, the Let's Make a Deal "ZONK" sound and graphic should play.

Trading Spaces has apparently promoted Ty Pennington and Carter Oosterhouse to "designer." There was a great moment on this week's episode where Carter unveiled his intention to glue a few dozen brightly colored frisbees to a wall. One of the homeowners said, "Are you trying to be Hildi?"...

Oh, no. Hildi would glue feathers on the wall. While they were still attached to the live bird.

Edited by rvwnsd

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed this week's episode-with-a-twist: A couple that had been on in 2001 have now divorced amicably and are back with their new beaux. Last time they worked with Hildi while Doug did their house, so this time those 2 designers were back. One new wrinkle this year is that each designer gets their own carpenter, but since Ty had been the only carpenter in 2001, they did the same thing this time.

I mostly enjoyed the personalities and flashbacks; Doug's room looked fairly plain by his standards, and while Hildi's photos were beautiful, I think all of the 'bubbles' on them would start to bug me after awhile, & that's all i'd be able to see.

I enjoyed this week's episode-with-a-twist: A couple that had been on in 2001 have now divorced amicably and are back with their new beaux. Last time they worked with Hildi while Doug did their house, so this time those 2 designers were back. One new wrinkle this year is that each designer gets their own carpenter, but since Ty had been the only carpenter in 2001, they did the same thing this time.

I mostly enjoyed the personalities and flashbacks; Doug's room looked fairly plain by his standards, and while Hildi's photos were beautiful, I think all of the 'bubbles' on them would start to bug me after awhile, & that's all i'd be able to see.

There was a time when they would at least pretend that the homeowners had input into the design. It became clear that the designers were coming in with every aspect pre-planned. I also like the older episodes where the designers would pitch the entire design at the start -- explain the concept, provide drawings, swatches, and verbally describe the room at the time of the paint reveal. Now the formula is to expose one element at a time for shock value, and the working homeowners won't get an appreciation even for a nice design until it all comes together. Doug's room was a good example of this; the overwhelming paint colors and fabrics worked so well once the room was balanced by more anchoring colors in the couch and rug.

Hildi's room was (surprisingly) fine this time. I agree that the wallpapered photo prints looked shabby. Usually they have interns or production staff cleaning that stuff up behind the scenes, or so I thought. Also, the swinging day bed was kind of stupid. It looked like those eyebolts weren't going to hold up in the long term. There was no good reason why she couldn't have had Ty put legs on it, and it would have been much more practical.

Last week Jon Gidding's room with the chip board and raw plywood was kind of ridiculous. His motorcycle paintings looked childish and in the wrong proportions. The woman's church-going hat collection looked pretty stupid on storage shelves too rough-cut for my garage.

Brett Tutor is still the best eye candy they've ever had on the show.

• 1 year later...

Frank Bielec of TLC's "Trading Spaces" has died after a heart attack, according to a family member.

Bielec was 72 and died at a Houston hospital on Friday, his stepson Matt Gafford said.

The TLC Network issued a statement Saturday saying, it's "a sad day for the TLC family as we learn of the passing of beloved 'Trading Spaces' designer Frank Bielec."

His colleague, designer Vern Yip, tweeted on Friday night saying, "Funny, wise, nice, and talented, he always lent perspective and levity to every situation."

Home makeover host Ty Pennington tweeted about Bielec on Saturday, saying, "One of the best humans I've had the good fortune to call friend. You will be missed Frank."

Friend and longtime "Trading Spaces" makeup artist Randall Tang said Bielec was "one of the kindest and most generous people I've ever worked with." He also had the "best one liners ever. I could never keep up."

"I applaud his work ethic and sincerity with all he was to the cast and crew of 'Trading Spaces,' " Tang said.

Genevieve Gorder, who worked as a designer with Bielec on the show, said: "Frank was the rock of our family, an authentic leader from the heart and the purest of joy. This loss is deep, but our allegiance to his spirit...is forever. TO OUR UNICORN, to our center....RID (rest in doing) he couldn't sit still."

200516133616-01-frank-bielec-file-exlarge-169.jpg

EYI7wmRWoAAAefe?format=jpg

EYGb78nXsAU-Ztb?format=jpg

EYJBrF7XYAALVMa?format=jpg