Chicken Egg Salad

Guy Fawkes
This topic is 2227 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason recipes now call for measuring the temps of cooked meats a lot more often than they used to. I believe it is because of the repeated outbreaks of bacterial infections. At any rate, I guess there can be other types of outbreaks also.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/20/604445631/romaine-lettuce-dont-eat-it

Do you suppose if you’ve rimmed enough asses that you develop an immunity to E-coli?

For some reason recipes now call for measuring the temps of cooked meats a lot more often than they used to. I believe it is because of the repeated outbreaks of bacterial infections. At any rate, I guess there can be other types of outbreaks also.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/20/604445631/romaine-lettuce-dont-eat-it

Do you suppose if you’ve rimmed enough asses that you develop an immunity to E-coli?

Anyone have a suggestion for a substitute for olive oil in recipes? I just don't like the flavor of olive oil.

I love butter!

However, now that I'm avoiding butter (at least until after my next blood work :)), I usually use canola oil and then add a tiny bit of butter or "I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S NOT BUTTER!!" spray just to give it a little flavor.

Canola oil has the additional advantage that is has higher a smoke point than olive oil so there's less chance of setting off the kitchen smoke detector. lol

Edited by Hoover42

I learned to cook from my mother thus I am a stand back and throw cook. I look in my pantry, then I look in my refrigerator for what meat and vegetables I have on hand and then I stand back and start throwing things together. I don't generally follow recipes unless I’m preparing something I’ve never cooked before and even then I’m prone to tweak it here and there. Of good example of this were the empanadas I prepared for the recent Palm Springs Sunday Pool Party. I do enjoy attending cooking classes but only to get new ideas. Many years ago I attended a class taught by a prominent local chef. After a short introduction to the class by the chef/teacher a women raised her hand and asked him what would be good substitutes for the butter and salt in his recipes. He pauses only for a moment and then simply said NOTHING, he then offered her a refund – I could barely keep from laughing. I cook principally with olive oil, canola oil and butter. I deep fry only with canola oil or Crisco. I do NOT bake because to be a successful baker one has to measure carefully and I’m just not capable of doing that.

I learned to cook from my mother thus I am a stand back and throw cook. I look in my pantry, then I look in my refrigerator for what meat and vegetables I have on hand and then I stand back and start throwing things together. I don't generally follow recipes unless I’m preparing something I’ve never cooked before and even then I’m prone to tweak it here and there. Of good example of this were the empanadas I prepared for the recent Palm Springs Sunday Pool Party. I do enjoy attending cooking classes but only to get new ideas. Many years ago I attended a class taught by a prominent local chef. After a short introduction to the class by the chef/teacher a women raised her hand and asked him what would be good substitutes for the butter and salt in his recipes. He pauses only for a moment and then simply said NOTHING, he then offered her a refund – I could barely keep from laughing. I cook principally with olive oil, canola oil and butter. I deep fry only with canola oil or Crisco. I do NOT bake because to be a successful baker one has to measure carefully and I’m just not capable of doing that.

I have always been so envious of people that can just create on the spur of the moment with the things they have on hand. I will end up starving because I cannot deviate from recipes whose ingredients I lack. Also, can't beat olive oil (of any variety - I could bathe in it), butter, and canola oil.

Can you elaborate on this tip? It’s a new one to me...

Only talking about a thigh, no leg attached. It is slightly curved. The skin side would be considered convex, and the underside, concave. A thicker bone is perpendicular to the wide side of the side that has vertebrae. Bend the thigh back, as if to fold the skin side together until it cracks, or breaks. That way the thigh will lay flat in the pan, allowing it to cook evenly, and the blood vessel that runs along the thicker bone detaches, and drains while cooking.

If you buy bone-in thighs without the vertebrae attached (trimmed off at the end of the thick bone), no need to do this.

Edited by bashful