The Kennedys - CNN

This topic is 2217 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm learning bits and pieces, though a lot of it is mostly common knowledge, I would think. Though for younger viewers it's probably a good dose of history they may not know.

But, I do generally like CNN's documentary series like these. The "decades" series are also very well done, IMO, and the current Pope series is interesting too. I haven't really gotten into the Amanpour sex series yet, but I'll catch up on those.

Otherwise, it's ironic that although CNN used to be my default news station, I've found myself almost entirely switched over to MSNBC at this point.

i just finished watching an episode of the Kennedys and am really liking it.

I watched MSNBC for about a year and a half and switched over to CNN this year. I got tired of listing to the same 10 pundits over and over again. they just play musical chairs when the next guy is ready to host his hour show. That said, I understand that CNN is pretty much the same deal, but at least it will take me a while to get tired of listening to their 10 talking heads.

I got tired of listing to the same 10 pundits over and over again. they just play musical chairs when the next guy is ready to host his hour show.

A funny memory -

Back when I was in my teens, I think (sometime in the late 70's perhaps?) our local TV stations started going from what used to be a half-hour dinnertime news program at 6PM, to a block that lasted an hour and a half, from 5-6:30. I still have this faint memory of one local anchor, who, in a very pompous "Ted Baxter"-ish way, would make this big fucking deal about "I'm now going to leave my 5:00 desk and make my way over to my 5:30 desk" or something like that. Maybe you had to be there, lol, but I always found it so ridiculous.

I got tired of listing to the same 10 pundits over and over again. they just play musical chairs when the next guy is ready to host his hour show.

After a few years of Chris, Chris & Rachel every night, I also stopped watching MSNBC. While I wouldn't label it fake, the spin is dizzying. Two + two equals "here's why you should feel righteous indignation regarding this."

But, I changed my overall news consumption pattern. I watch local news early morning. And tune into BBC and CNN for snippets throughout the day. Mostly, I prefer to read..... and seek out sources like Reuters, AP, etc. directly. I still love CBS for softer, more in-depth news stories every Sunday Morning.

The after party for the Madison Square Garden Marilyn Monroe "Happy Birthday, Mr. President" event was held in the Upper East Side New York home of Arthur Krim and his wife, Swiss-born Mathilde. Mrs. Krim died recently. She is better know as the founder of AmFAR.

Marilyn Monroe died during the summer of 1962, and Pres. Kennedy about 15 months later.

Edited by WilliamM

Why won't Ethel allow Bobby's papers from when he was AG to be made public? I've read that she has left instructions for her children not to release them after she's dead. What could be in them that she's hiding?

Not surprised. The Kennedy President Library does not compare favorably with other presidential libraries. John Kennedy was not alive to make sure it done correctly.

I was in university when Bobby Kennedy was elected as New York Senator. I wrote to him inviting him to come to my campus as a guest speaker when he might be in the vicinity. He declined but sent me a beautiful hand-written letter encouraging my future political involvement. Unfortunately the letter was lost in one of my many moves. But the fact that he would write such a letter has permanently put Bobby in my good guy column.

Comment: Does she really believe her father was right about the U.S. not entering World War ll? Family loyalty totally misplaced

READ Parade Magazine

Jean Kennedy Smith on Her Memoir and the Kennedys She's Loved and Lost

FEBRUARY 7, 2017 – 8:00 AM – 0 COMMENTS

f34a51ab85ddfce13fe324ad88e571d0?s=136&d=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.gravatar.com%2Favatar%2Fad516503a11cd5ca435acc9bb6523536%3Fs%3D136&r=G

By DOTSON RADER

Kennedy-Family-1939.jpg

The Kennedy clan in 1939 (Courtesy of the Kennedy family)

The-Nine-of-Us.jpg

Jean Kennedy Smith, the last surviving Kennedy of her generation, has written a beautiful new memoir, The Nine of Us. It is the story of growing up in an American family that changed the world. She writes of the values and events that molded the amazing Kennedy siblings, among them Jack, who became president; U.S. senators Bobby and Ted; Eunice, who founded the Special Olympics; and Pat, a national advocate for the literary arts. Jean, a diplomat like her father, was U.S. ambassador to Ireland for President Clinton and helped bring peace to Northern Ireland. Now widowed after a long marriage to businessmanStephen Smith, Jean is mother to four children, two adopted, and actively supports Very Special Arts (VSA), an organization she started in 1974 to support people with disabilities. Jean’s older sister Rosemary was born mentally disabled and underwent a devastating lobotomy. For her work on behalf of VSA, Jean was honored by President Obama with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian award.

Jean Kennedy Smith lives in an elegant duplex apartment on Manhattan’s East Side. It was there that Parade visited her on a cold afternoon. Over tea sandwiches and fruit salad in her living room, she talked about her extraordinary life and the Kennedys she’s loved and lost.

Why did you write your book, The Nine of Us?

I felt that my parents had been overlooked in all the biographies about my brothers. They didn’t give enough attention to my whole family, particularly my parents, and why we were all part of the deal. I tried to explain in The Nine of Us how we grew up with politics. At meals we talked about what was in the newspaper. We talked politics non-stop! Campaigning for our brothers was a part of our lives.

Do you think most families have serious conversations like that today?

I got a very nice letter the other day from a father about how he can’t get in a conversation with his son, who’s always playing a video game. “My son just talks to his computer. Nobody sits down and has an intelligent conversation with their family anymore.” I think it’s accepted as a part of everybody’s life now.

People bring their cell phones to dinner.

Well, it’s the world now.

In your book, the world seems very far away until your father becomes ambassador to England in 1938.

That brought it close. Dad was very much against the war. That was why President Roosevelt didn’t like him. My father said, “We should stay out of this. It’s a mess. Why should Americans go in there, across the sea, and for what?”

Do you think your father was right about not going to war?

Yes, I do.