Jesus Christ Super Star live Easter Sunday

Cooper
This topic is 2230 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just set my DVR for Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert is broadcast nationally April 1 at 8pm EST, 7pm CST, and 8pm PST on NBC. The all-star cast includes John Legend as Jesus, Sara Bareilles as Mary Magdelene, Alice Cooper as King Herod, Brandon Victor Dixon as Judas, Ben Daniels as Pilate, Norm Lewis as Caiaphas, Jin Ha as Annas, Jason Tam as Peter, and Erik Gronwall as Simon.

main-jesus-christ-superstar-live-john-legend-sara-bareilles-alice-cooper.jpg

Edited by Cooper

So I guess it's a "concert" version - not sure what that ever means anymore. But I sure hope it's less over-produced than the NBC live musicals have become lately. All the extra hullaballoo during breaks, etc. (For instance, I thought their Hairspray was pretty well done - for once - but they really overdo the hopped up stuff in and out of commercials, which ruins the flow even more than just having commercials would.)

The original film version of Superstar was nicely inventive, if a bit odd at times, but its concept didn't distract from the story or the drama. (It actually added a bit of its own, especially at the end.) These recent live set of NBC musicals have varied from good (Hairspray) to average but stiff (The Sound Of Music) to downright awful (Peter Pan), and I just hope maybe if they trust the material this time and just let the performers sing, it'll be a respectable show. We shall see...

Also, though I do love Norm Lewis, I'm curious to see how he'll do with the low range that Caiaphas is supposed to have. I'm not sure he sings that low. Perhaps Philip Boykin (currently in the Broadway revival of Once On This Island) isn't as well-known, but he's got those notes down there...it would have been fun to hear him in the role.

All in all, a success, IMO. Certainly the best of the recent NBC live musicals. With a live orchestra this time, to boot. (Usually they're prerecorded.)

David Leveaux's direction worked very well for the most part - a few missed opportunities here and there, or moments that felt unfinished - but really quite well done, and inventive. The final scene was extremely well done.

There were only two vocal weak links in the cast - one, as I predicted, would be Norm Lewis, who is a wonderful baritone, but who had to really grunt the lowest notes that, for me, define Caiaphas' musical characterization. The other, unfortunately, was John Legend, who just didn't have the "classic rock tenor" voice to do Jesus' high-lying music justice. "Gethsemane" - the dramatic high point of the score for him, was just not anywhere in his wheelhouse.

However, Lewis did have a credible poise about him as Caiaphas, and I was impressed with Legend's take on the role in general - just that he couldn't sing it the way I feel it should be sung.

Brandon Victor Dixon, therefore, easily stole the show from Legend - which isn't hard to do anyway, as Webber sets it up for Judas to have some of the biggest moments. Dixon's voice is much more versatile, and he was clearly having fun playing the tormented soul. A huge triumph for him.

Sara Bareilles sang Mary with ease, and didn't overplay the role. Now that she has 2 musical theatre roles under her belt (she also stepped into the leading role in her own show, Waitress, on Broadway, for a time), I'm hoping she'll get offers to do more. Ben Daniels was a strong Pilate, even if he did overdo it vocally in his last few lines. The other supporting players were all spot on.

And then there was Alice Cooper. And talk about professionalism - he opted for the "less is more" route (as compared to, say, Josh Mostel's over-campy version in the original film) and it was perfection. The problem with the campier approach is that it makes one forget that Herod was a king - even if he was crazy, he did have power over Jesus, and the campier the song, the less sense of authority, no matter how fun. Cooper got it, though. He simply let Rice's satirical lyrics and Webber's music-hall pastiche music provide the fun - and he played the song simply and with poise. The song was no less funny, but it also had bite. To me, this is how it should always be done.

If the audience reactions were sometimes over the top, I also assume they were prompted and scripted. Much of it did add to the "rock concert" feel of the event. Though I do have to say that I think the phrase "concert musical" (or "in concert," in this instance) should now be not only retired, but banned. I have no fucking idea what it means anymore, and it's clear to me that directors don't either.

WAY too many commercial breaks - but at least we didn't get the hyped up, hopped up fanboy/audience "behind the scenes" mishegas that we got for the NBC Hairspray, etc, every time they went to a commercial. I'm glad that NBC decided to give us JUST the musical this time. And I hope they stick to that.

This is a score I've always loved, since I first heard it as a teen. People may ridicule Webber, but I've always thought that his collaborations with Tim Rice are among his best works - and tonight's version reminded me of just how powerful it can be. (I'm tempted to say "I laughed, I cried, and it was miles better than Cats" lol.) I did enjoy it, I was emotionally moved, and I'm ultimately very glad they attempted it. This one really worked.

While I loved the songs back in the day (one of my first LP's was the highlights of JC Superstar) for the most part it was nails on a chalk board. Alice Cooper was great but John Legend looked like he was on Lithium!

Kipp

I enjoyed it.

I thought the set and choreography was great for a concert version. I didnt care for the way they designed the 39 lashes. 39 extras running and leaping, smacking his ropes, didn't quite work, and distracted rather than building tension.

The lead guitarist who opened the show looked to be about 11 years old. I wondered if he's in School Of Rock. Wednesday, there was a special re: ALWebber, and they showed the School Of Rock youngsters performing Phantom numbers, with Webber commenting on their talents and versatility.

I thought the entire cast was excellent, with the exception of Ben Daniels as Pilate. He handled the dream well, but neither of his big songs.

In many ways, I thought it was the best of all of the live musicals Ive seen on TV. And it reminded me of how much I liked the score.

Wish I could have been in the audience for this live production. So much energy & enthusiasm. They went wild when Alice Cooper entered. Unfortunately, the TV cameras can’t capture it all. Hope to see more live TV Broadway show productions.

Very relevant to have this performed on Easter Sunday. Always used to watch Judy Garland in the Wizard of Oz on Easter.

David Leveaux's direction worked very well for the most part - a few missed opportunities here and there, or moments that felt unfinished - but really quite well done, and inventive. The final scene was extremely well done.

I really enjoyed that the opening number, Heaven on Their Minds, had Judas with Jesus. Even though I think the lyrics just represent what Judas is thinking, them being together underscores the closeness. In the movie, Judas is already distant, which puts a different spin on the relationship.

With a live orchestra this time, to boot. (Usually they're prerecorded.)

At least that makes the 'in concert' label accurate. ;) I've enjoyed recent 'in concert' versions of Sweeney Todd and Company.

...John Legend, who just didn't have the "classic rock tenor" voice to do Jesus' high-lying music justice. "Gethsemane" - the dramatic high point of the score for him, was just not anywhere in his wheelhouse.

I wondered if there was something wrong with his mic. Not only did it sound odd at times, it was frequently very low in the mix beyond what I think would be acceptable.

Brandon Victor Dixon, therefore, easily stole the show from Legend - which isn't hard to do anyway, as Webber sets it up for Judas to have some of the biggest moments. Dixon's voice is much more versatile, and he was clearly having fun playing the tormented soul. A huge triumph for him.

BVD can definitely get it. ;):eek::D I think he's put on some muscle recently. There is an interview wth him where he admits he only knew the songs he auditioned with and was apparently watching the first movie for the first time in pieces and was like 'what! Judas comes back after he dies and sings a big number?' :) I thought he was amazingly expressive. He also talked about how he felt it was his job to make people look at Judas differently. I didn't think anyone could do as well as Carl Anderson, but I was wrong. BVD was great, in a different way.

Not political commentary but just noting, BVD was the Hamilton cast member that read the cast statement to Mike Pence from the stage after the show when Pence went to see it. He was the subject of a Trump tweet later, accusing him of not being able to remember his lines.

And then there was Alice Cooper. And talk about professionalism - he opted for the "less is more" route (as compared to, say, Josh Mostel's over-campy version in the original film) and it was perfection. The problem with the campier approach is that it makes one forget that Herod was a king - even if he was crazy, he did have power over Jesus, and the campier the song, the less sense of authority, no matter how fun. Cooper got it, though. He simply let Rice's satirical lyrics and Webber's music-hall pastiche music provide the fun - and he played the song simply and with poise. The song was no less funny, but it also had bite. To me, this is how it should always be done.

You mean you don't like the version from the 2000 film?

I loved the songs back in the day (one of my first LP's was the highlights of JC Superstar)

I remember how transfixed I was when I saw the first movie when it came out. I went right to the record store and bought the soundtrack.

...John Legend looked like he was on Lithium!

I think his normal on-stage experiences didn't really translate to this presentation. BVD mentioned they only had a couple of weeks to rehearse and since it was a one-off performance, he didn't have a lot of time to work out physical and musical riffs and this is coming from a highly experienced stage performer, so it's easy to imagine Legend just being in over his head and deciding to play it a little too safe.

I didnt care for the way they designed the 39 lashes. 39 extras running and leaping, smacking his ropes, didn't quite work, and distracted rather than building tension.

It didn't help that a bunch of people didn't hit their marks during that sequence. But here is what I think. While I'm sure a lot of believers watched this, so this is an important part of the story, for some of the rest of us, I think showing a black man being whipped live on national TV might just be a bit too real. I know it would have taken me right out of enjoying the show.

The lead guitarist who opened the show looked to be about 11 years old. I wondered if he's in School Of Rock.

Brandon "Taz" Niederauer, he was in School of Rock the Musical. I think he just turned 15. I got to see him up close in a Hendrix tribute concert last year. He's quite good, particularly for his age. He's about to go on a tour.

http://www.brandonniederauer.com/about/

Edited by oldNbusted

I really enjoyed that the opening number, Heaven on Their Minds, had Judas with Jesus. Even though I think the lyrics just represent what Judas is thinking, them being together underscores the closeness. In the movie, Judas is already distant, which puts a different spin on the relationship.

I agree.

One of the moments I think Leveaux missed was the end of the end of the Mary/Peter moment in "The Denial." I've always thought it's stronger when Mary can sing directly to Peter, "It's what he said that you would do / I wonder how he knew" - and to see Peter's reaction to that revelation. But in this version, Peter had already exited by then. One can justify that he felt the need to get out of there and not risk being seen with Mary - but I think then we miss the point of Peter realizing he had fulfilled the prophecy. Webber/Rice give no specific moment for Peter to weep, as in the gospels, but I've seen productions where that happens there.

It didn't help that a bunch of people didn't hit their marks during [the 39 lashes] sequence. But here is what I think. While I'm sure a lot of believers watched this, so this is an important part of the story, for some of the rest of us, I think showing a black man being whipped live on national TV might just be a bit too real. I know it would have taken me right out of enjoying the show.

I have to admit I wasn't thinking about the race of the actor at that moment. And I have to say I did like the way this moment was staged in this stylistic manner - though I understand why people might not.

BUT - I did think it was otherwise a great and important choice to have Jesus portrayed by someone non-caucasian, without long blonde hair, etc. There actually was a criticism I saw on an online chat about that - someone who actually dissed the production for not having a "real" Jesus (i.e. giving into that iconic white male longhaired image). I responded back, pointedly asking if this person had been there to actually see the real Jesus - i.e. how did he/she know what he ACTUALLY looked like, and not to trust the images white male artists have foisted on us for centuries.

I got no reply, naturally. :rolleyes: