Won't you be my neighbor? A new documentary on Mr Rogers

FreshFluff
This topic is 1908 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

He was great with kids cause he talked to them, not down to them. If we could clone him thatd be awesome.

I know that Rogers was (and still is) frequently the butt of jokes for his style - even back when I was a kid watching that iconic PBS late afternoon lineup, I knew there was a general sense that Rogers was "un-hip" and potentially even a little creepy, lol. But the fact is, his style really worked, and his care for children, and for all of us, really shone through. Sure, we can poke gentle fun at him and the show, but I also can't deny that it was a crucial part of many of our childhoods. And I thank him for that.

And also so much thanks for his musical partner Johnny Costa, who introduced so many of us to piano jazz before we may have even known what it was. Rogers' iconic little songs may have had simple kid-like melodies, but Costa filled them out in wonderfully sophisticated ways - let alone all the wonderful music he played during transitions, etc.

• 10 months later...

Watched it tonight on PBS SoCal.

Most folks that grew up watching Mr. Rogers Neighborhood should see this movie. Near the end the movie touched on how daunting life has sadly become all these years since he passed, but also held out a glimmer of hope. Quite a poignant well done documentary. The scene of King Friday building a wall against change was strikingly eerie.