"Brokeback" expanding to more theatres faster than planned

deej
This topic is 6711 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RE: Brokeback and politics

"Until we are no longer second class citizens, our very existence is a political act."

Bullshit! There will always be second class citizens in a democratic, capitalist society and that has NOTHING to do with gay. They call it Coach Class. If you desire Communism, check out Cuba.

Some gay men are stuck in some time-warp, self-imposed view of themselves. Like Jack said to Ennis, "Maybe you oughta move to Texas." :-)

RE: Brokeback and politics

Bilbo did not say that he looked forward to a time when there were no second-class citizens. He said that gays in the U.S. are second-class citizens. He was not making a statement about forms of government. Please read more carefully.

RE: "Brokeback" and politics

Was it that greedy snuff-film, The Passion Of The Christ, that infused America with the kind of blood lust that makes a film like Hostel gross in one weekend what Brokeback's taken in in one month? Or does America generally just love gore (not the ",Al" or "Vidal," kind of course)?

http://www.RodHagen.com

Fun, Fit, Friendly Fucker in West Hollywood.

-Rod Hagen

RE: "Brokeback" and politics

America just loves gore. How else can you explain the popularity of slasher movies? Pour all the money you like into story-telling, but lump together a lake, and gaggle of teenagers, and an axe murderer and you've got a box office hit. (And probably sequels galore.)

I saw an interesting article today by a female writer explaining BBM's popularity with women in a way I hadn't considered. Her theory is that women love the movie because FOR ONCE it's not a woman doing the heavy lifting emotionally. It's an interesting theory.

Dearest Steven...

"I am proud to be who I am."

So am I. I can't remember a moment in my life where I felt like a second class citizen, even when my wallet was empty and I flew Coach.

No need to clarify for me, Steven. I got your sense of humor but I have a feeling you didn't get mine. Whenever a gay or straight friend brings something from "the left field of gaydom" into the dialogue, a favorite response is, "You're so gay." It's a way to give permission to laugh at ourselves and not take everything too seriously.

I should have put a smiley at the end of my sentence. You know I adore you.

RE: Dearest Steven...

>I should have put a smiley at the end of my sentence. You know

>I adore you.

Now that's really gay javascript:smilie(':p')

javascript:smilie(':p')

RE: Dearest Steven...

Yes I do understand how to use the edit function, but couldn't find the message in time. Wow, this topic is so popular we are now on page seven. Anyway, I am enjoying the byplay between Steve and Rock.

Archived