2018 Oscar Predictions

Kenny
This topic is 2242 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

"Call Me By Your Name" will win a single Oscar: James Ivory, Adapted Screenplay.

"Get Out" should win Best Picture, but won't. (Too inventive.) Nor will "Dunkirk," which is brilliant, or "Phantom Thread," which is brilliant. "Three Billboards" will, because Hollywood loves the flashy and totally improbable social-theme picture, plus its reliable cast.

Laurie Metcalf should win Supporting Actress, but Allison Janney will (flashier role).

More?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call Me By Your Name won't win if only because Moonlight won last year. The Academy won't give top honours to gay pics twice in a row. The movie also has undertones of Elio being the victim of sexual predatory practices. In the present political climate that could mean a hindrance on voting support.

Three Billboards also makes a hero of a racist cop. Again politically, that won't fly. I expect the winner will be The Shape of Water.

My mom has seen four of the best picture nominees: Billboards, Post, Darkest, Shape. Her favorite was Darkest Hour. A lot of the buzz is around The Shape of Water....which I have seen. Whilst I enjoyed it, it did not seem like Best Picture material to me. Mind you, I felt exactly the same about American Beauty.

http://ew.com/awards/2018/02/27/when-are-the-oscars-2018/

BEST PICTURE

Call Me By Your Name

Darkest Hour

Dunkirk

Get Out

Lady Bird

Phantom Thread

The Post

The Shape of Water

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

BEST ACTOR

Timothée Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name

Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread

Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out

Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour

Denzel Washington, Roman J. Israel, Esq.

BEST ACTRESS

Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water

Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Margot Robbie, I, Tonya

Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird

Meryl Streep, The Post

BEST DIRECTOR

Dunkirk, Christopher Nolan

Get Out, Jordan Peele

Lady Bird, Greta Gerwig

Phantom Thread, Paul Thomas Anderson

The Shape of Water, Guillermo del Toro

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Mary J. Blige, Mudbound

Allison Janney, I, Tonya

Lesley Manville, Phantom Thread

Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird

Octavia Spencer, The Shape of Water

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project

Woody Harrelson, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water

Christopher Plummer, All the Money in the World

Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

A Fantastic Woman, Chile

The Insult, Lebanon

Loveless, Russia

On Body and Soul, Hungary

The Square, Sweden

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

Abacus: Small Enough to Jail

Faces Places

Icarus

Last Man in Aleppo

Strong Island

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

The Boss Baby

The Breadwinner

Coco

Ferdinand

Loving Vincent

The same 4 actors have been sweeping the acting awards, hoping for a surprise win in the Best Actor or Supp. Actress categories. McDormand & Rockwell deserve to win theirs <3

3Billboards & Del Toro have swept best pic & director awards too, they'll probs win.

Kind of a dull year in terms of actual competition, way too predictable at this point...

Phantom Thread MUST win best score!

I only know what I like...

My heart is with Dunkirk, and yes, it was simply brilliant, as was Three Billboards, but I would love to see The Post win, which it won't, and I'd love to see Meryl win, which she won't. And before everyone starts throwing tomatoes, I liked Lady Bird. There I've said it, and I loved Metcalf.

Edited by bigvalboy

And before everyone starts throwing tomatoes, I liked Lady Bird. There I've said it, and I loved Metcalf.

Don't worry, it's one of the best from the 9 films nominated <3 Only people with bad taste would throw tomatoes @ you for liking it.

Laurie is a goddess, hope she wins in her category. Looking forward to the Roseanne reboot next month...

Entertainment Weekly

The Nominees:

Call Me By Your Name (James Ivory)

Logan (Scott Frank, James Mangold, and Michael Green; story by James Mangold)

Molly’s Game (Aaron Sorkin)

Mudbound (Virgil Williams and Dee Rees)

The Disaster Artist (Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber)

Predicted Winner: The last time James Ivory was nominated, it was for directing 1993’sThe Remains of the Day, itself an adaptation of a popular novel. Now the 89-year-old, the Academy’s second oldest nominee (eight days younger than Faces Places director Agnès Varda), seems to have a clear shot at his first win for his gentle and poignant treatment of André Aciman’s love story Call Me by Your Name.

Don't worry, it's one of the best from the 9 films nominated <3 Only people with bad taste would throw tomatoes @ you for liking it.

Laurie is a goddess, hope she wins in her category. Looking forward to the Roseanne reboot next month...

Laurie is on Breadway in previews for Albee's "Three Tall Women" with Glenda Jackson and Allison Pill.

Added: No performance of the play on March 4 or 5.

Edited by WilliamM

"Call Me By Your Name" will win a single Oscar: James Ivory, Adapted Screenplay.

"Get Out" should win Best Picture, but won't. (Too inventive.) Nor will "Dunkirk," which is brilliant, or "Phantom Thread," which is brilliant. "Three Billboards" will, because Hollywood loves the flashy and totally improbable social-theme picture, plus its reliable cast.

Laurie Metcalf should win Supporting Actress, but Allison Janney will (flashier role).

More?

OK. Time to place my bets:

PICTURE

The Shape of Water

ACTOR

ACTRESS

DIRECTOR

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Allison Janney, I tanya

SUPPORTING ACTOR

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Coco

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

The Shape of Water, Guillermo del Toro and Vanessa Taylor

ORIGINAL SCORE

The Shape of Water

Edited by StLouisOct

OK. Time to place my bets:

PICTURE

The Shape of Water

ACTOR

ACTRESS

DIRECTOR

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Mary J. Blige, Mudbound

SUPPORTING ACTOR

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Coco

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

The Shape of Water, Guillermo del Toro and Vanessa Taylor

Coco! A definite winner.

Actually it won't win because other movies are a.) much better, and b.) full of industry stalwarts who the Academy knows.

I do not agree that other movies are much better just better. Call Me By Your Name has a good story and a superb performance by an excellent young actor.But it is not a film that deserves best film of the year.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Loving Vincent

Saw this in the theaters last October. Absolutely mesmerizing! And such a gorgeous film to watch, the entire movie done in the style of the artist. It is also available for rent or purchase on iTunes, Amazon Video, Fandango Now, and Google Play. Watch it if you can! Highly recommended!!!

24037474838_eff09cfdb2_b_d.jpg

Edited by BroadwayDave

I do not agree that other movies are much better just better. Call Me By Your Name has a good story and a superb performance by an excellent young actor.But it is not a film that deserves best film of the year.

“Much” is indeed relative. Great script, several A+ performances, but some pretty serious flaws too. (The two big ones: miscasting Hammer; conventional Hollywood storytelling.) It deserves the nomination but not a win.

“Much” is indeed relative. Great script, several A+ performances, but some pretty serious flaws too. (The two big ones: miscasting Hammer; conventional Hollywood storytelling.) It deserves the nomination but not a win.

Even though I can buy the film for $15 from Comcast on Demand I have not bothered yet. I may wait to see if the Blu-Ray edition has commentary with the film.

Saw this in the theaters last October. Absolutely mesmerizing! And such a gorgeous film to watch, the entire movie done in the style of the artist. It is also available for rent or purchase on iTunes, Amazon Video, Fandango Now, and Google Play. Watch it if you can! Highly recommended!!!

24037474838_eff09cfdb2_b_d.jpg

Ya gotta have a gimmick, as they say, and this sure had one. It’s pretty, but not much more. I’m not a fan. Film has no surface, only a picture of one, and Van Gogh is all about the surface, about the stroke of thick paint on canvas, about the physical touch that he craved from another human but could not receive.

Edited by Kenny

Ya gotta have a gimmick, as they say, and this sure had one. I’m not a fan. Film has no surface, only a picture of one, and Van Gogh is all about the surface, about the stroke of thick paint on canvas, about the physical touch that he craved from another human but could not receive.

The Barnes Foundation (near my apartment) owns several Van Gogh paintings but most people come for all the Cezanne paintings. Pure chance. The Cezanne paintings were much more available when Dr. Barnes was buying art. I am thrill that he chose a few Van Gohn paintings too.

Ya gotta have a gimmick, as they say, and this sure had one. It’s pretty, but not much more. I’m not a fan. Film has no surface, only a picture of one, and Van Gogh is all about the surface, about the stroke of thick paint on canvas, about the physical touch that he craved from another human but could not receive.

I’ve seen his work. I’ve been to some of the greatest museums in Europe (I lived there for two years) and in the US during my extensive travels from coast to coast. The Carnegie Museum of Art in Pittsburgh, which I visit often, has his work gracing their walls.

Once the Corcoran Gallery of Art in DC (it no longer exists) had a wonderful exhibit taking famous paintings and turning them into huge 3-dimensional displays. Three of my favorites were: “Rainy Day” by Caillebotte; “Christina’s World” by Andrew Wyeth; and “Bedroom in Arles” by Van Gogh.

And last year I visited the magnificent Butler Museum of American Art in Youngstown, Ohio. I have this enormous coffee table book that was given to me as a birthday gift by the museum director. I can still appreciate all of the stunning pieces of work that I saw that day: from Homer to Audubon, Bierstadt to Vonnoh, and Rockwell to Sargent. I also have a textbook from a college-level art course that was given to me by a friend. It’s fantastic to browse through and see all of the gorgeous works.

I can appreciate art and paintings no matter the medium its in: film, two-dimensional, three-dimensional, or book. It’s a shame you can’t.

Edited by BroadwayDave

I can appreciate art and paintings no matter the medium its in: film, two-dimensional, three-dimensional, or book. It’s a shame you can’t

Having lived in Europe myself, I was shocked by your examples. Apparently it has eluded you that reproductions of Van Gogh are not actual Van Gogh.

As for that wonderful exhibit at the Corcoran of famous paintings made 3-D, those are complete junk. The hack who makes them is J. Seward Johnson, heir to the Johnson & Johnson fortune, who has more money than talent. If he spent his money more wisely, perhaps donating to museums, maybe the Corcoran would still be open.

I appreciate actual art, not copies and gimmicks. It’s a shame you can’t.

I appreciate actual art, not copies and gimmicks. It’s a shame you can’t.

So, what I’ve seen at the National Gallery in London, Museum of Fine Arts Boston, Louvre, Rijksmuseum (pre-Van Gogh Museum), Art Institute of Chicago, MoMA in NYC, Musee D’Orsay, National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC, The Met in NYC, Getty Center, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Cleveland Museum of Art, The Uffizi Gallery in Florence, the Vatican Museums, The Nelson-Atkins, and The Prado, etc., among countless other small museums in the United States like the aforementioned Butler Institite of American Art, The Westmoreland Museum of American Art, the tiny Kennedy Museum of Art, etc. was not all actual art of all kinds and style, but just copies and gimmicks.

Right.

“Loving Vincent” is a gorgeous film. And the uniqueness of how it was made, what it took to make it, and the painstaking process that brought it to the screens should earn it the Oscar. But it’ll instead go to another computer animated movie by Disney or Pixar.

So, what I’ve seen at the National Gallery in London, Museum of Fine Arts Boston, Louvre, Rijksmuseum (pre-Van Gogh Museum), Art Institute of Chicago, MoMA in NYC, Musee D’Orsay, National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC, The Met in NYC, Getty Center, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Cleveland Museum of Art, The Uffizi Gallery in Florence, the Vatican Museums, The Nelson-Atkins, and The Prado, etc., among countless other small museums in the United States like the aforementioned Butler Institite of American Art, The Westmoreland Museum of American Art, the tiny Kennedy Museum of Art, etc. was not all actual art of all kinds and style, but just copies and gimmicks.

Right.

“Loving Vincent” is a gorgeous film. And the uniqueness of how it was made, what it took to make it, and the painstaking process that brought it to the screens should earn it the Oscar. But it’ll instead go to another computer animated movie by Disney or Pixar.

You forgot the Ringling.

“Loving Vincent” is a gorgeous film. And the uniqueness of how it was made, what it took to make it, and the painstaking process that brought it to the screens should earn it the Oscar

Van Gogh is not my favorite painter, but I enjoyed the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam very much.