Jerry Springer The Opera

foxy
This topic is 2263 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've never seen more than 5 or 10 minutes of the actual Jerry Springer show so I surprised myself by buying a ticket to this production. Based on a friend's recommendation and this glowing review in the Times I figured I'd give it a try.

It has a large cast of 17. It's strangely disconcerting to hear highly trained voices, some of operatic quality, singing the most obscene lyrics. If you didn't listen to the words, and closed your eyes you'd think you were at a serious musical event. But it's too much fun to see with your eyes open. The cast are not just fine singers but very funny actors who seem to be having a great time onstage.

There's something to offend everyone in this show. No kinky stone is left unturned.

So "roll me in chocolate and throw me to the lesbians".

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/22/theater/jerry-springer-the-opera-review-terrence-mann.html

Edited by foxy

I believe the time for this operetta has come and gone. I really hope this doesn't try to transfer to Broadway.

When it played the West End, it was a brilliant commentary on society at the time: Now, it feels a little clunky. The original had cast standouts like David Bedella and Alison Jiear, who helped elevate the material through fantastic performances.

NY missed the opportunity to produce this when they should have... Back in 2005.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Jerry Springer the Opera last night at the Signature Center on 42nd St. If bizarre can be used in a good way to describe a show, then, it was most bizarre. By now, most of us are immuned to offensive language and attacks on religions. After all, we survived the Book of Mormon. Just park your beliefs and morals at the door, sit back, and enjoy the show. And, yes, there's even a demonstration by the KKK.

The way the stage is set up, there's seating on 3 sides. In the 1st row on each side sits the cast. They are amusing to watch especially when Jerry is talking with his guests. They also have incredible voices. The OPERA part of this musical should not be overlooked, it's top notch, however, hard to take seriously with all the strange things going on and the shouting out from the cast. A show like this is timeless and political situations are updated to keep it current.

It runs till April 1st. Easy ticket to get at TDF or TKTS.