paid membership

This topic is 2288 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey guys! This is a question for the friends who have their own blog or website with a paid membership. My blog is in wordpress and I am considering to create a premium members category to restrict some content to paid members.

I am not sure what plug in to choose.

The best ones seem to be Paid Membership Pro and Paid Members Subscriptions by Cozmoslabs.

Do you have any recommendations or words of wisdom?

Thank you!

It’s partly going to depend on which payment processor you use, and which features you need to suit your membership vision.

Start with figuring out which payment processor you want - not all processors will work with adult content (paypal definitely does not) if that’s what you’re putting in your membership section. Also, if you plan to accept Visa and MasterCard, there’s an annual fee of $500 each. Once you’ve selected a payment processor, ask them about plugins. They will have a tech team that can advise you on which ones will work with WP and their system. Also, if you use one of their recommendations, they’ll often do the installation and setup for you, and they’re expert at trouble shooting.

If you’re not going to have adult content, most of this post still applies. You’ll have more options for payment processors and you won’t have the Visa/MC fees.

Edited by Eric Hassan

It’s partly going to depend on which payment processor you use, and which features you need to suit your membership vision.

Start with figuring out which payment processor you want - not all processors will work with adult content (paypal definitely does not) if that’s what you’re putting in your membership section. Also, if you plan to accept Visa and MasterCard, there’s an annual fee of $500. Once you’ve selected a payment processor, ask them about plugins. They will have a tech team that can advise you on which ones will work with WP and their system. Also, if you use one of their recommendations, they’ll often do the installation and setup for you, and they’re expert at trouble shooting.

If you’re not going to have adult content, most of this post still applies. You’ll have more options for payment processors and you won’t have the Visa/MC fees.

Why is everything so fucking complicated? Thanks, Eric!

Start with figuring out which payment processor you want - not all processors will work with adult content (paypal definitely does not) if that’s what you’re putting in your membership section. Also, if you plan to accept Visa and MasterCard, there’s an annual fee of $500 each. Once you’ve selected a payment processor, ask them about plugins. They will have a tech team that can advise you on which ones will work with WP and their system. Also, if you use one of their recommendations, they’ll often do the installation and setup for you, and they’re expert at trouble shooting.

I am considering an alternative to avoid the complications of switching my blog to a paid site. What if I open an only fans account and work it associated with my blog. All the video materials would go through that outlet.

I just sent a message to Timarrie asking whether or not he is happy with the inly fans service he is getting.

I am considering an alternative to avoid the complications of switching my blog to a paid site. What if I open an only fans account and work it associated with my blog. All the video materials would go through that outlet.

I just sent a message to Timarrie asking whether or not he is happy with the inly fans service he is getting.

Are you planning to produce original content? Be careful about sharing copyrighted stuff and charging for it.

Are you planning to produce original content? Be careful about sharing copyrighted stuff and charging for it.

All the material I would publish would be original, amateur, home made stuff I would create.

also be aware that OnlyFans is not copyrighted (like Chaterbate), I don't think.

Anything put on there can be copied and spread freely. If that matters.

I think that is beyond my control, even if I sell the material from my blog.

Timarrie thinks it is a good idea. I can link from my blog to my onlyfans account.

Thet charge me 20%, and I do not have to be dealing with payment processors, credit cards, and administrating a paid membership system. They do all that shit.

I did not make yet a decision, but it looks very tempting.

I think that is beyond my control, even if I sell the material from my blog.

This is probably getting a bit ahead of where you are, but this isn’t entirely true. It is technically beyond your control, but the sharing of your copyrighted material is technically a violation. You have basis to file a DMCA complaint if your stuff gets shared, but once the horse is out of the gate, a takedown would only shut off the original source and your material is still out there. You could sue but obviously that isn’t within reach for most folks, and again, the horse is out of the barn.

One way to make any leaks work for you is to put a logo on your content - it’s what I do. That way, when something inevitably turns up on Twitter or Tumblr, at least there’s a way for people to know where it’s from.

On a personal tangent, the most interesting copyright issue I’ve ever had was when some dude tried to sell me my own video. The video was from the membership section of my website, and he reportedly bought it from someone else.

Edited by Eric Hassan

This is probably getting a bit ahead of where you are, but this isn’t entirely true. It is technically beyond your control, but the sharing of your copyrighted material is technically a violation. You have basis to file a DMCA complaint if your stuff gets shared, but once the horse is out of the gate, a takedown would only shut off the original source and your material is still out there. You could sue but obviously that isn’t within reach for most folks, and again, the horse is out of the barn.

One way to make any leaks for you is to put a logo on your content - it’s what I do. That way, when something inevitably turns up on Twitter or Tumblr, at least there’s a way for people to know where it’s from.

On a personal tangent, the most interesting copyright issue I’ve ever had was when some dude tried to sell me my own video. The video was from the membership section of my website, and he reportedly bought it from someone else.

I was planning to brand all pictures and videos with my blog name.

That was funny.

Timarrie just told me he pays 20%, and never had any problems with payments.

It cant hurt to try OF. Its free. I have some twitters that list Best OF, best gay sites, etc. daily. Lot of publicity. My guy Brian the Secrets guy has OF site but said he gets 50%. He makes a lot in tips though as you would in donations and I think OF only takes a small cut of that.

Anyway give it a spin and see how she drives. Good luck !