Fin Fang Foom With A Computer Problem

Fin Fang Foom
This topic is 6748 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Actually, a friend has the problem, I don't. So I have turned to you, my dear cyber-sandbox playmates. I'm sure there's at least one cock-sucking computer geek here.

Here's the problem.

He has a 5yo DELL Inspiron laptop with Windows ME. When you turn it on, it scans the C drive and then opens in, what looks like, safe mode. The icons are really large and it's less than 256 colors. The problem is that the mouse arrow doesn't exist so I can't click on Start, etc. You just have to turn it off and start all over again with the exact same results. One side note: the keyboard does work.

Any ideas what he should do?

Appreciatively yours,

FFF

>Actually, a friend has the problem, I don't. So I have turned

>to you, my dear cyber-sandbox playmates. I'm sure there's at

>least one cock-sucking computer geek here.

1) I sent you an email with a possible solution as not to bore the populous with tech talk.

2) For anyone that has tech questions go to http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all . Rendie told me about this place and they answer everything and anything.

3) I am not a moderator but maybe this thread may get moved to Daddy's Place as it is of tech nature?

4) I may have thrown down a few cock(tails) in my time but I am not a geek you foul-balled clamwrangler! ;)

PEACE and may your "friend" find his solution. ;)

The sometimes helpful and always ready for action,

VDN

The first question to ask is "What changed?"

Did your friend recently install something that may have whacked Windows? (You'd be surprised how often people will neglect to mention that they just did something major before the machine stopped working.)

That said, a hardware failure for that product at that age isn't out of character. Inspiron is Dell's "budget" notebook line, and they keep the price down by using whatever peripherals were cheapest the day the machine was built.

Once mouseless Windows is running, press CTRL-ESC to pop up the start menu and use the arrow keys to get to a command prompt. From there, you can at least copy important files to floppy disks or a USB memory stick. (I'm assuming there isn't a recent backup.) You can also wander around the start menu and run Dell's diagnostics if they're still installed.

While you're in the command prompt, check to see if the CD-ROM still works. The next step MAY be the recovery disk. If it shipped with the machine and if your friend can find it. (You can probably download it from Dell's website if your friend doesn't have it. Burn it to a CD on your PC.)

Once you've got a good backup, and know whether the CD-ROM works, call Dell support. They can help determine whether the next step is hardware repair or the recovery disk.

Oh, and Lilla's Inspiron page dates from approximately that time frame and may have some useful information: http://www.edgeworld.com/notebook/i7000.htm

Archived