HBO's Looking

Snbrd
This topic is 2335 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I assume HBO is rerunning this if you just watched it last night. I think it was originally on a couple of years ago and I assume there is a previous thread here about it.

Overall I think there were too many flaws for me to recommend this series, but it did get a bit better in season two.

It was as ridiculously contrived as the American version of QAF, but many of us watched it anyway.

True, but in both cases (QAF and Looking), there was something for gay men starved for stories about us. In the case of QAF, if you stripped it of everything but the Justin/Brian scenes, it would have been much better. Those two had something!

It was as ridiculously contrived as the American version of QAF, but many of us watched it anyway.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I couldn’t disagree more. Personally, I loved the show, thought the writing was excellent, and could really identify with many of the story lines based on experiences I’ve had or people I’ve known. Far more realistic and less contrived than dated shows like Tales of the City or Queer As Folk. For example, I’m quite certain there has never been a place like “Babylon” in Pittsburgh, whereas the venues and scenes portrayed in Looking are genuine San Francisco. Obviously, the series is not to everyone’s tastes, but I have no hesitation in recommending it as a smart but entertaining take on contemporary gay urban life for those in the 25-45 age-range.

*I do agree that the movie they made after the show was cancelled seemed rushed and the quality was not up to the same standard as the episodes in seasons 1 and 2.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I couldn’t disagree more. Personally, I loved the show, thought the writing was excellent, and could really identify with many of the story lines based on experiences I’ve had or people I’ve known. Far more realistic and less contrived than dated shows like Tales of the City or Queer As Folk

I mostly agree.

Jonathan Groff was too old for the character he played, but every other role was well cast, specially Doris (Lauren Weedman) as mentioned above.

Thanks, @saminseattle.

I watched Episode 1 of Season 1 last night. Did many watch it? If so, what did you think of it? It was bit slow but I understand early episodes set the story, introduce characters, etc. In the day, I was a big QAF fan.

To me, what happens on the bus in S1 Epi 1 is definitely a foreshadowing of what is gonna happen for Richie. I thought it was really well done . I love Looking. It's about time to binge watch again.

For those that enjoyed S1 and S2, the movie is great.

Edited by OCClient

I'm surprised that there have been two positive mentions of Lauren Weedman so far. For me, she was the worst part of the series. Has she appeared in anything else worthy of watching? I couldn't tell if she was simply a bad actress or if her lines were just incapable of being spoken without sounding ridiculous.

Hey, if we all agreed on things, life would be incredibly uninteresting ;)

I agree. And though it's rare, once in a while I've learned I was wrong about something. :D

In response to some previous posts, I thought Laura Weedman's character Doris was crucial. Both dramatic and funny.

**************SPOILER*********************

In S1 Epi 1, on the bus, Richie was so innocent, sweet and engaging. After finishing S1, S2 and the movie, then, on my second viewing of the bus scene with Richie, I went....oh shit...this sweet guy's heart is gonna get so broken by this drama queen. You want to get on that bus and warn him!

mais c'est la vie, o Así es la vida

Jonathan Groff was too old for the character he played

I totally disagree with that. Jonathan Groff was not the problem with this show, especially not his age. If anything, he is the reason to watch it. There are problems with the character, Patrick, for sure.

Lauren Weedman played the "Grace" in almost every gay man's life, and she did a fine job, considering the material and this ensemble.

IMO, Agustin was the worst character. An annoying, selfish downer, whose presence in this group made no sense.

There was no on-screen chemistry between between Patrick (Groff) and Richie (Castillo), a match that fed the plot but nothing more. Patrick had much more chemistry with his boss Kevin (Tovey), but that relationship was just another gay man's fantasy.

Dom (Bartlett) and Patrick's friendship had the most potential for being real. Dom and Lynn (Bartlett and Bakula) also provided an interesting sub plot.