Hoda Kotb: New "Today" Show Co-Anchor

This topic is 2356 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hoda Kotb will be the new co-anchor for the "Today" show after Matt Lauer, the former co-anchor, was fired last year following a complaint of sexual harassment by a coworker.

"This has to be the most popular decision NBC News has ever made, and I am so thrilled," co-host Savannah Guthrie said Tuesday morning on the "Today" show.

Congratulations to Hoda and the "Today" Show.

Hoda’s last name is consistently mispronounced as Cot-bee.

Her last name is the Arabic word for pivot or axis. Following Library of Congress rules, the correct transliteration of her name is Huda Qutb, with her last name pronounced in day-to-day English as Kutub, with the stress on the first syllable.

"This has to be the most popular decision NBC News has ever made, and I am so thrilled," co-host Savannah Guthrie said Tuesday morning on the "Today" show.

That Savannah. She can make your head spin.

Yesterday it was, "... I am so thrilled ... " (about her new co-host) and yet, just a month ago, she was near tears at the loss of the old one: "... We are devastated ... We are heartbroken. I’m heartbroken for Matt – he is my dear, dear friend and my partner, and he has been loved by many, many people here ... "

I wonder if Matt Lauer was watching yesterday (sitting at home, twiddling his thumbs, nothing much to do) marveling at Savannah's swift recovery from heartbreak and despair. Perhaps he was even a little cheered by the news that, come to find out, Firing Him isn't the most popular decision NBC News ever made. (Shhh ... don't tell the women he harassed.)

Yesterday it was, "... I am so thrilled ... " (about her new co-host) and yet, just a month ago, she was near tears at the loss of the old one: "... We are devastated ... We are heartbroken. I’m heartbroken for Matt – he is my dear, dear friend and my partner, and he has been loved by many, many people here ...

I will never forget the morning in 1974 when someone on the "Today" show had to tell the audience at 7 AM that anchor Frank McGee has died. McGee was only 53 years old, and apparently had been ill for a while. Still it was a shock to me.

Savannah Guthrie did not know until a few hours before 7 AM that morning Lauer had been fired. At least when McGee died the people on the "Today" Show knew he was in poor health and his death was near. Guthrie was put in a terrible situation.