Crazy Rich Asians

LoveNDino
This topic is 2031 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on my second reading of the book by Kevin Kwan. The character development is awesome. This clip doesn't make me want to see the movie, but I will because I really enjoyed the book. Agreed that Henry Golding is hot. Perfect for the playing the character Nicholas Young.

I have read the 3rd book, as well - it's a light, very fun read all in all! I look forward to seeing these characters on screen.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
I just saw and it was fluff but it was everything. Representation is a powerful thing!

I haven't seen it yet but one friend who has told me he thought it was sort of a "My Fair Lady" story with an all Asian cast and thus not very original! :rolleyes:o_O

Does Henry give massages?

I could fantasize that Henry might be adept at many other pleasurable things but, alas, it would only be fantasy. :(

TruHart1 :cool:

I haven't seen it yet but one friend who has told me he thought it was sort of a "My Fair Lady" story with an all Asian cast and thus not very original! :rolleyes:o_O

Not very, but worth it. I don't really see the "My Fair Lady" reference because, she didn't need an "upgrade" nor did he need to find his "heart." Also, they were very much in love from the beginning.

More fish out-of-water than anything else...

In the meantime, a Chinese version of "Yellow."

I could fantasize that Henry might be adept at many other pleasurable things but, alas, it would only be fantasy. :(

It’s more like Pride and Prejudice. Rich young good looking heir looking for a bride (who happens to be poorer- though i wouldn’t say an NYU economics professor is exactly poor). Great outfits. The book has better descriptors of the clothes and jewelry. Nice little summer bonbon.

Hahahaha. Not sure i understand correctly what your emoji's are meaning, but in response to the comment, it is exactly the point that "Hollywood" would widely market and distribute a pretty down the middle contemporary Romantic Comedy with an all Asian primary cast (not a martial arts action or mysticism based ancient warrior film). That is the "originality" as traditionally Hollywood would think that it would be too much of a financial risk due to lack of wide market acceptance. :)

Hahahaha. Not sure i understand correctly what your emoji's are meaning, but in response to the comment, it is exactly the point that "Hollywood" would widely market and distribute a pretty down the middle contemporary Romantic Comedy with an all Asian primary cast (not a martial arts action or mysticism based ancient warrior film). That is the "originality" as traditionally Hollywood would think that it would be too much of a financial risk due to lack of wide market acceptance. :)

Once again, I've yet to see this film. I certainly find the cast list impressive. Though I first saw Constance Wu in "Fresh Off the Boat" on TV as the in charge mother who always attempts to be in control, I went back and saw the first season of Eastsiders on Netflix, a series that got its start on Youtube, was picked up by Logo and was then bought by Netflix, about an on again off again relationship between a gay couple set in Silverlake (L.A.)

Ms. Wu played the Asian American best friend of one of the couple, who had relationship and alcohol addiction issues of her own. Though Eastsiders is a very dark comedy, she was very impressive in the role, which often brought up serious relationship and addiction issues. She left the series after the first season, I would guess to take the role on "Fresh Off the Boat."

Michelle Yeoh was so excellent in Ang Lee's "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" that I anticipate a fine performance from her. Henry Golding is a hot looking man, though I have no idea if he's a great actor or not. Still, if the scenery is wonderful to look at (I'm talking about HIM, not the backgrounds! ;)) I am looking forward to seeing him in action!

The last major film with a predominantly Asian cast (that was not a martial arts flick) to my recollection seems to be the 1961 movie version of the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical "Flower Drum Song," which concerned an illegal Chinese immigrant and a marriage contract. The most popular song from that musical was "I Enjoy Being A Girl."

The last major film with a predominantly Asian cast (that was not a martial arts flick) to my recollection seems to be the 1961 movie version of the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical "Flower Drum Song," which concerned an illegal Chinese immigrant and a marriage contract. The most popular song from that musical was "I Enjoy Being A Girl."

Joy Luck Club! ;)

Just watched the movie and thoroughly enjoyed it. The scene at Peik Lin's lunch had some of the funniest lines. The dad (Ken Jeong) told his kids to eat their food: Don't you know there are kids who are starving in America? Then he pointed to Rachel (Constance Wu) and asked his kids: Do you see how thin she is? Do you want to be like her? The kids then all shouted: No! The whole theater just burst into uproarious laughters. :D

For a romantic comedy, I also like the fact that the heroine is a well put-together person, not some screwed up hot mess in most of the other romantic comedies...

Edited by JohnGerman

Pretty dull, standard rom-com. (Does the flaming homo always have to be a comic sidekick?) The best scene was the mahjong match, where the play of specific tiles was a clever commentary on the narrative.

Oh, and Pierre Png (Michael, a.k.a boy-toy) has great abs.

Pretty dull, standard rom-com. (Does the flaming homo always have to be a comic sidekick?) The best scene was the mahjong match, where the play of specific tiles was a clever commentary on the narrative.

Oh, and Pierre Png (Michael, a.k.a boy-toy) has great abs.

Damn. If the gay character is the clown (again) I'll pass. <--EDIT. I saw it afterall. Friends invited me. See my thoughts below!:p

That's one of the things I loved about the movie Dear White People, how the gay character was written as an actual human being with a story.

Edited by E.T.Bass

The gay character, played by Nico Santos from NBC's Superstore, was somewhat clownish and rather stereotypical, but it has more depth than what you'd expect from some "typical" gay comic sidekicks. An example was how he, when asked for help by the matriarch, broke up the movie financing son and his gold digging wannabe movie star girlfriend. Plus, the character is a fashion designer! He is supposed to be flamboyant...