NSA visitors center Maryland

GregM
This topic is 2273 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It is possible that Google made a mistake. My office is in the technology and admin center of a large bank. There is no branch or ATM, just a bunch of people who make the bank "go." Google Maps lists it as a full-service branch. We turn away at least two people per week.

It is possible that Google made a mistake. My office is in the technology and admin center of a large bank. There is no branch or ATM, just a bunch of people who make the bank "go." Google Maps lists it as a full-service branch. We turn away at least two people per week.

People are leaving gag 'reviews' of the accommodations based on the idea that @WmClarke referenced, that they hold people for interrogation at this location. :rolleyes: It's actually the "NSA Visitor Control Center", which is where non-personnel who have previously arranged to visit the site report to be admitted.

Before you get to the actual gate (it's on a military base, so while the guards at the gate may be accustom to dealing with people who are in the wrong place, try to avoid that and if you do end up there, try to behave) you can turn left on Colony Seven Rd. and drive past a gas station and eventually end up at the National Cryptologic Museumm, which is fascinating, well worth the trip. The story of that building was that it was actually a motel that was open to the public and someone realized that was probably not a good idea so close to an agency that at the time wasn't even publicly acknowledged to exist, so the .gov bought it and eventually turned it into the museum.

People are leaving gag 'reviews' of the accommodations based on the idea that @WmClarke referenced, that they hold people for interrogation at this location. :rolleyes: It's actually the "NSA Visitor Control Center", which is where non-personnel who have previously arranged to visit the site report to be admitted.

Before you get to the actual gate (it's on a military base, so while the guards at the gate may be accustom to dealing with people who are in the wrong place, try to avoid that and if you do end up there, try to behave) you can turn left on Colony Seven Rd. and drive past a gas station and eventually end up at the National Cryptologic Museumm, which is fascinating, well worth the trip. The story of that building was that it was actually a motel that was open to the public and someone realized that was probably not a good idea so close to an agency that at the time wasn't even publicly acknowledged to exist, so the .gov bought it and eventually turned it into the museum.

I loved the Military Hotel at Disney World -- Drop by the bar late once the kids and wives are gone -- and make new friends!

• 1 month later...
Before you get to the actual gate (it's on a military base, so while the guards at the gate may be accustom to dealing with people who are in the wrong place, try to avoid that and if you do end up there, try to behave)...

These kids are very lucky....

wapo.com: SUV passenger shot at by NSA police says wrong turn led to top-secret installation

Brown said his friend panicked when he saw police and hit the gas.

“I woke up with him slapping me in the face screaming, ‘I’m going the wrong way. I don’t know how I got here,’” said Brown, who works for a Maryland subcontractor laying sewer and water pipes. “I was screaming at him,” Brown said, “‘How the hell did you do this? And why aren’t you stopping?’”

---

Brown said the gunshots came a split second before the SUV hit a concrete barrier adjacent to a visitor’s gate accessible from an exit off Route 32, east of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway. One sign points to the NSA; another says “restricted address.” A third warns: “Person/vehicle subject to search.”

As much as I am sympathetic to these guys, they were not shot at because they took a wrong turn, they likely got shot at because after taking a wrong turn, they operated their vehicle in a way that was considered a threat, in a place where a threat is a real possibility. There was an incident at the CIA main gate recently, these are known targets.

These kids are very lucky....

wapo.com: SUV passenger shot at by NSA police says wrong turn led to top-secret installation

As much as I am sympathetic to these guys, they were not shot at because they took a wrong turn, they likely got shot at because after taking a wrong turn, they operated their vehicle in a way that was considered a threat, in a place where a threat is a real possibility. There was an incident at the CIA main gate recently, these are known targets.

In 1995, I made a wrong turn on the GW Parkway and wound up at CIA headquarters. It was barely a couple years after the mass shooting outside the building by a Pakistani national. The drive way was one way and gate house was directly ahead. There was no way to turnaround or back up the driveway. My passenger was nervous as she was handling the navigation (the pre Waze days) and was partly responsible for this cock up.

I pulled up to the gate and stopped. A uniform agent approached my vehicle while another officer approached the passenger side. I recall a marked protection vehicle pulled in front blocking me directly ahead.

The officer asked for identification and the reason I was there in a very firm but polite voice. Btw, my hands stayed on the steering wheel as is advisable during a law enforcement stop. While explaining that we’d made a wrong turn by accident, the undercarriage was inspected by another officer. He used one of those mirror paddles that allow a view under a car without crawling under the vehicle.

The agent took both of our identifications and entered the guardhouse. The other officers just stood around and obviously recorded our behavior. After what seemed like half an hour but was really like ten minutes the officer returned. He asked a couple other questions including our employer information. Thinking back, I’m assuming these were verification questions as the background checks likely pulled up all these details.

Satisfied we were truthful, the agent gave us back our identification. He also stated that I wasn’t the first to make this navigation error. That was kind of a relief, I wasn’t the first idiot to pull into the CIA driveway. He then gave me precise instructions on how to turn around and resume our original course. The patrol car moved so we could proceed as instructed. Once I got back on the road I hightailed it out there like nobody’s business.

The agents were all businesslike and professional. They were certainly on guard but were not abusive. At no point did we feel threatened. The key point here is we didn’t freak out and give the guards reason overreact. From reading the account of the incident above the individuals did some rather stupid things and acted foolishly in their behavior.

That CIA exit was rebuilt a while later and it’s now impossible to make such a driving error today. I wouldn’t want to experience that situation again that’s for sure.

Edited by ArVaGuy