So long, Gomer: Jim Nabors Is Dead at 87

Moondance
This topic is 2373 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Lars -- I know nothing about you or your history and you know nothing of mine - But I do know that it is a demonstrable historic fact that the Closeted Famous and Wealthy stayed safe warm and wealthy. While many of us struggled to keep our friends alive and to see that they were cared for - while trying to get the attention and money of an uncaring government.

The Voices of those Wealthy-Connected-Famous Closet Queens could have advanced that fight and JUST MAYBE helped One More Person live --

And so as I stated above this is not just about Jim Nabors I have like feelings for all those similarly situated stars.

If that makes me VILE in your opinion so be it ---- I will curse the closeted till I die

I understand your anger toward those of whom have come before us. But you're blaming the wrong people. A more in-depth understanding of why they were the way they were during this time is not so easy to dismiss if you're being honest with our own gay history.

Two days ago, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau apologized to the entire LGBTQ2 community of Canada for Canada's decades of discrimination and suffering due to their oppression and fear of people like you and me. And while some of this apology stems from, and is directed to, specific Canadian atrocities against their own LGBTQ2 community, most of it mirrors our own nation's oppression and hatred toward all us for decades.

We have all come a long way from where we once were. And it's now because of moments like this, coupled with our own personal stories and understanding of our past that we can now more fully understand the pain and silence of those who came before us. Please understand that the silence of many of our elders is perhaps most certainly far more painful to them than that of the anger of which you feel toward them today.

Edited by Larstrup

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are some of you beating up this dead guy? How do you know he didn't quietly donate money to gay related charities? Who cares if he didn't come out till much later in his life? That's the path he felt was right for him. I'm glad this is a fairly anonymous board cause I'm quite sure some of your paths are less than angelic and pure. Smh.

Hugs,

Greg

Hi Greg -- This will be my last comment on this thread, I have endeavored to explain clearly and in common language why and who - some chose to focus on typos - some chose to focus on "In those Days" and others just could not focus.

I have enjoyed your posts for a number of years and I have a great deal of respect for your decision to publicly discuss your status, and as we have discussed in PM I think that you have a good heart and are a lovely man.

If Nabors gave money privately - that would have been great.

My issue is with Closeted Stars/Famous - for as desperately as we needed money we needed VOICES!

I grew up in South Florida and as a kid was part of trying to stop Anita Bryants' first Anti-Gay Rights Campaign

(ANITA YA LIAR WE'LL SET YOUR HAIR ON FIRE!) There were no VOICES on our side, but us . . .

We lost -- Teachers/Nurses/Clerks/Foodworkers/Healthworkers/Groceryworkers/ Lost their Jobs -- Everyone was a target to lose their home and suffered silently with horrible landlords who in many cases left gay tenants living in near squalor.

Fast Forward - About 7-8 years and we started dying disappearing shriveling up and vanishing with no known medical reason.

Fast Forward a few more years at least there is a name -- AIDS - and anyone gay was considered to have IT. The US Congress introduced laws to have anyone Poz:

Sent to a Camp/Tattooed with a Red A on their forehead/Barred from working in Healthcare/Education/Senior Care/Food Handling and Serving etc.

Medical care was non-existent for the most part = We Were Dying Everywhere

We Needed VOICES -- Jim Nabors-had a Huge Religious Right Following for his holiday and Gospel Albums --- Rock Hudson was a beloved mega-movie star - Liberace was adored throughout red/square states/the South and so many more

Their Voices could have brought a humanitarian skew to the conversation in the media and politics (even a 1% effect) Could have save lives -- No One was Speaking for us but us -- And no one cared about what we had to say - We were just faggots

And the birth of the POLITICAL Religious Right grew off the shoulders of our dead.

Jerry Falwell/Pat Robertson/Jimmy Swaggart/Jim Baker/Rod Parsley/ and more and more --

So as I have described above my anger is NOT just with Jim Nabors -- It is with EVERY powerful/wealthy/renowned Closet Queen who hid and prospered while our community members died . . .

To Finish on a Positive note: For people like Oscar and Emily Schindler who protected and saved Jews from death by the Nazi's there is a special place of Honor in Jerusalem called "The Avenue of the Righteous"

Because of her tireless efforts Elizabeth Taylor shamed the talent, the dollars, and eventually the voices of Hollywood and Broadway to open their wallets - Lend their voices and their support for our community. She Is/Was a White Diamond! Perhaps one day their will be a Pink Place to Honor for The Righteous of the Fight for Human Rights and Against AIDS here in America for Elizabeth and those like her.

And if any do not understand that -- Then may I say as would Dame Edna would say = Fuck Off and Eat Your Own Tow Jam --- And I Mean that in the Most Lovely Way Possible!

Edited by Bearofdistinction

I understand your anger toward those of whom have come before us. But you're blaming the wrong people. A more in-depth understanding of why they were the way they were during this time is not so easy to dismiss if you're being honest with our own gay history.

Two days ago, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau apologized to the entire LGBTQ2 community of Canada for Canada's decades of discrimination and suffering due to their oppression and fear of people like you and me. And while some of this apology stems from, and is directed to, specific Canadian atrocities against their own LGBTQ2 community, most of it mirrors our own nation's oppression and hatred toward all us for decades.

We have all come a long way from where we once were. And it's now because of moments like this, coupled with our own personal stories and understanding of our past that we can now more fully understand the pain and silence of those who came before us. Please understand that the silence of many of our elders is perhaps most certainly far more painful to them than that of the anger of which you feel toward them today.

Thanks JT -- Pass Me a LaBatts -- At least our friends to the north get it!

I respect a person's right of privacy BUT with the AIDS epidemic and Reagan in the White House a few Hollywood types coming out and putting pressure on Reagan and his administration might have helped.

Rock Hudson was probably the biggest Hollywood Star at the time, a personal friend of the Reagans and it was no secret to them or the administration his sexual orientation. Yet when he begged Nancy Reagan to intervene and approve a transfer to a French military hospital which, at that time, believed (incorrectly) they could save his life, Nancy Reagan rejected his request.

Ronald And Nancy Reagan have the blood of thousands of gay men on their hands due to their indifference towards the gay plague, but this is our history. Not unlike any other of the atrocities which where happening at that time in our history.

We can’t change our history. We can only learn from it and ensure it never happens again.

There's another thread about Jim Nabors that was wisely shut down due to vile comments of certain posters by @Guy Fawkes. I've copied the last post below. Perhaps some should quell their misplaced anger at such "a gentle and kind person" and learn that forgiveness is a virtue.

Guy FawkesAdministratorStaff Member

Correction: Jim Nabors died today at 87. He was a gentle and kind person. Hooboy was a personal friend. He will be missed.

http://www.thechatterboxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/besilent-780x597.jpeg

Thread locked in respect for Jim.

Last edited: Today at 2:14 AM

Hi Greg -- This will be my last comment on this thread, I have endeavored to explain clearly and in common language why and who - some chose to focus on typos - some chose to focus on "In those Days" and others just could not focus.

I focused on "typos" concerning Katharine Hepburn because you named her as a woman you admired.

Forget the typos.

What did Ms. Hepburn do for the gay community during the plague?

I know she strongly defended Montgomery Clift against director Joseph Mankiewicz bullying during the filming of "Suddenly Last Summer," and likely many other gay and Lesbian actors/ actresses as well.

She tried to help Judy Garland and Spencer Tracy stay sane.

Judging someone only on what they did, or did not do, during the plague is unfair, especially for Hepburn.

Because of her tireless efforts Elizabeth Taylor shamed the talent, the dollars, and eventually the voices of Hollywood and Broadway to open their wallets - Lend their voices and their support for our community. She Is/Was a White Diamond! Perhaps one day their will be a Pink Place to Honor for The Righteous of the Fight for Human Rights and Against AIDS here in America for Elizabeth and those like her.

Dr. Mathilde Krim and Elizabeth Taylor were co-founders of amFAR. Dr. Krim worked on medical research and fund raising. Her husband, Arthur Krim, had significant Hollywood and political connections. The Krims were especially close to President Lyndon Johnson.

Mrs. Krim is 91-years old now.

She deserves something better than "those like her."

Edited by WilliamM

And the birth of the POLITICAL Religious Right grew off the shoulders of our dead.

Jerry Falwell/Pat Robertson/Jimmy Swaggart/Jim Baker/Rod Parsley/ and more and more --

I don't mean to nit-pick, but it was the success of the Black Civil Rights movement in the 1960s that birthed the Religious Right as a political movement, which began in the 1970s, not the 1980s. Falwell, especially, launched the political ambitions of evangelical fundamentalists, because he was losing his school's tax-exemption for refusing to desegregate. The Radical Right was birthed by racism. A decade later, homophobia threw gasoline on their already raging fire of bigotry.

Edited by Kenny

I focused on "typos" concerning Katharine Hepburn because you named her as a woman you admired.

Forget the typos.

What did Ms. Hepburn do for the gay community during the plague?

I know she strongly defended Montgomery Clift against director Joseph Mankiewicz bullying during the filming of "Suddenly Last Summer," and likely many other gay and Lesbian actors/ actresses as well.

She tried to help Judy Garland and Spencer Tracy stay sane.

Judging someone only on what they did, or did not do, during the plague is unfair, especially for Hepburn.

My admiration of Hepburn had nothing to do with AIDS/or the Gay Community --

I am new to this site and I have seen more negative comments here then I have seen on other sites.

LOTS of angry people on here.....and not sure why.....

I met Jim and worked with him many years ago - and he was always a gentleman and kind. I am sorry to see he passed away and even sadder that so many people feel the need to bash someone who is no longer here to defend themselves. He made decisions on how he wanted to live his life - and while many of you may not agree with that decision - it’s was HIS decision. I think if someone is closeted and in a position of power and is bashing gay people or making laws which discriminate against LGBT people that is a different story. He had the right to be closeted if that was what felt right to him. Just because he was a celebrity doesn’t mean it’s his responsiblity to be out.

Sorry there are so many angry people here! Just my 2 cents.

Anyone wonder why no one took you up on your Thanksgiving dinner offer?

Actually several replies were received - but either the timing or the chemistry was not right. Instead I spent a lovely day with a neighborhood friend. The following day, Black Friday I spent the romantic day I had planned with my Friend and Regular Gentleman Caller.

Yes it was filled with laughter, fun, hot play, dining, fine wines. We enjoy cooking a meal together as we chat, tease, kiss and flirt

And when we cook he wears nothing but an apron he is a hot furry boi. No leftovers for us instead:

We made Seared Marinated Jumbo Shrimp in Lemon/Olive Oil/Chopped Fresh Dill and Rough Ground Pink/Black Peppercorns as a pre-appy to snack on as we cooked. I had pre-made a Sweet-Hot Lemon/Lime dipping sauce for the shrimp.

Then as the appetizer individual Cassoulets' of Coquille St. Jacques with Asiago crusted Potatoes

Pan Seared Prime Tenderloin of Beef au Poive sprinkled with crumbled Blue Cheese -- and Grilled Garden Fresh Asparagus drizzled with a Buerre Blanc -- Served with the last of the Black Duck Wild Rice Pecan & Porcini Pilaf and for dessert we had set up the sling . . .

Whether anyone responded or not to the post seeking a Thanksgiving Companion has no relevant connection to this thread other than to try and insult and intimidate me --- I do not intimidate easily at all and regardless of your feelings I stand by what I have said in my posts -

It seems to me (and I may be wrong) that the folks who are most disturbed by my writings are themselves fully or partially in the Closet

Edited by Bearofdistinction

I am new to this site and I have seen more negative comments here then I have seen on other sites.

LOTS of angry people on here.....and not sure why.....

I met Jim and worked with him many years ago - and he was always a gentleman and kind. I am sorry to see he passed away and even sadder that so many people feel the need to bash someone who is no longer here to defend themselves. He made decisions on how he wanted to live his life - and while many of you may not agree with that decision - it’s was HIS decision. I think if someone is closeted and in a position of power and is bashing gay people or making laws which discriminate against LGBT people that is a different story. He had the right to be closeted if that was what felt right to him. Just because he was a celebrity doesn’t mean it’s his responsiblity to be out.

Sorry there are so many angry people here! Just my 2 cents.

Welcome to the Site Tolsty - At times discussion becomes very heated here. But the moderators endeavor to keep us all in line. Stay tuned - Hang On -- Gird Your Loins -- We are an Interesting group

Y'all taint never lived in the South

Bless your heart!

I’m Alabama born and raised, as Deep South - Heart o’ Dixie segregated and all those negative portrayals that come with it.

I had “toe jam” between my toes every summer until I was 25.

But I ain’t neva heared of no “tow jam” which must mean something to do with a tow truck hitting a peach tree or maybe running off road into a strawberry field.

But I learned the difference in spelling synonyms even with a Suthern ‘Ack-Cent’ “Typos intentional.”

Edited by instudiocity