Do You Recycle?

Avalon
This topic is 2205 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did at my old place since we had city pickup and a separate container you could put all your recyclables in. My current place has a dumpster for everything and if I want to recycle I have to store the stuff in my condo and drive five miles to a Kroger that has recycling bins and then sort everything out. I don't have the room in my condo to store stuff and it's too big of a pain. Now if I am drinking bottled water in a city that has recycling bins with the trash bins I throw the water bottle in the recycling can

It isn't the city, but all of the private trash haulers here make separate pickups for recycling. We have to provide our own bins (or rent them from the provider), but I generally have more in the recycle bin than in trash.

The city provides semi-annual electronics recycling events, where people can get rid of those old TV sets, computers, printers, etc. There's usually quite a line because you can get fined if you're caught putting them in trash.

I save and bag my soft drink cans for a guy who comes around every couple of weeks. I have for several years. Better than have him rummage through the garbage can.

There is always someone more in need than I am.

Who the hell doesn't now a days?

Damn @jjkrkwood @bigvalboy C'mon not even cans?

d233fad16dbe1487f9c4601ca41a0504.jpg

http://www.bobvila.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/ManMade-Recycling-Solution-dsc_5105_large-1.jpg

recycling_bin_lifestyle.jpg

http://cdn3.buschsystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/multi-recycler_full-3.jpg

8971289f6985e2de50fe152409c89d3c--under-kitchen-sinks-ikea-kitchen.jpg

There must are who don't because I still see people going through the dumpsters looking for bottles to take to the recycling center.

Even my landlord!

That's what I call entrepreneurial spirit. I saw Chinese women doing that in San Francisco because (I assume) they're too old to work in a restaurant and they don't have papers to get any other job. I would give them automatic citizenship, they deserve to be an American more than so many lazy deplorable folks out there.

Yes, I do recycle; it's helped cut down on what's deposited in the land fill; it's also helping our environment in various and sundry ways!

I also give away my plastic water bottles because I don't want to have to take off the caps and load into a container at the facility that gives money for these.

In CA we formerly received 5 cents per bottle; now the plastic goes by the pound. I don't want to go through all this, so I'd rather help out an individual in need.

There must are who don't because I still see people going through the dumpsters looking for bottles to take to the recycling center.

Even my landlord!

I live by the ohio/michigan border. Michigan has a 10 cent deposit law on containers for carbonated beverages (which includes beer) but it's stupid that they don't for bottled water because it's meant to cut down on littering (bottled water may not have been popular when they introduced the law).

There are poor people that dumpster dive for soda and beer cans in Ohio that will take them across the state line and put them in the container return machines and get a dime for each can and bottle. There's also college students that will do the same, they'll buy their pop and beer in Ohio and then take the empties across the state line and get a dime for each. I think it's stealing but it's a cleaver way for college kids to get a little extra money

I understand some states put their abbreviation on the bottles so people will not be able to cross the stateline and get more money.

I think on one of my trips to Michigan one of the big grocers had an automatic machine take the bottles or cans. This was out near Grand Rapids.

Hugs,

Greg

I think on one of my trips to Michigan one of the big grocers had an automatic machine take the bottles or cans.

Many years ago there was a machine here that accepted cans, ground them up, and paid based on the weight. Locals called it the electric goat.

Once in a while it would turn up out of order and you just knew some redneck fed it a chunk of iron for the weight. o_O

It isn't the city, but all of the private trash haulers here make separate pickups for recycling. We have to provide our own bins (or rent them from the provider), but I generally have more in the recycle bin than in trash.

The city provides semi-annual electronics recycling events, where people can get rid of those old TV sets, computers, printers, etc. There's usually quite a line because you can get fined if you're caught putting them in trash.

PS Waste Disposal does an electronics recycling pick-up twice per year, but you can drop off your electronic waste at their office at any time, and I always do.

I understand some states put their abbreviation on the bottles so people will not be able to cross the stateline and get more money.

Our cans says 10 cent michigan deposit on the top even though they are bought in Ohio. I think it's because I'm near the border and a lot of stores in SE michigan near the Ohio border use a Toledo bottler and it's too expensive for them to stamp cans different. The major grocery chains in Michigan have machines you insert the cans and bottles into and they just read the barcode to make sure it's a brand they accept and shoot out a receipt that you give to the cashier.

Best buy will also accept a lot of electronic devices for recycle. That's why I did with my last old tv

Staples has a recycle program too (as do other retailers). But note that most of them will not take old tube-style televisions. Those are actually getting difficult to get rid of. Here, you have to wait for the city's bi-annual collection.

One of the reasons I bought my last TV from BestBuy was to have GeekSquad deliver and set it up and haul away the old one for recycling.

• 2 weeks later...

Recycling has been legally mandated here since 2006. http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Mandatory-recycling-program-working-well-1198413.php

We also have mandatory food waste composting. http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/New-Seattle-law-No-more-food-in-trash-5983805.php

However, the courts recently ruled that the city is not allowed to inspect people’s garbage to see if they are in compliance. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/09/14/trash-talk-seattle-war-on-waste.html Still, I always recycle and compost, in part because the rates for garbage collection incentivize this, in part because the city makes it easy to do, but mostly because I try to be a good person.

Our cans says 10 cent michigan deposit on the top even though they are bought in Ohio. I think it's because I'm near the border and a lot of stores in SE michigan near the Ohio border use a Toledo bottler and it's too expensive for them to stamp cans different. The major grocery chains in Michigan have machines you insert the cans and bottles into and they just read the barcode to make sure it's a brand they accept and shoot out a receipt that you give to the cashier.

I don't much pop, but I do remember seeing the Michigan 10 cent refund noted on cans/bottles here in Illinois.