This Is Us

Avalon
This topic is 2375 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

One of the stories in the recent episode was the adoption of baby Randall. However I remember that was not his original name. He did not get that name until several years later.

I thought Toby was Jewish but he is Catholic.

Kevin has been quite the ladies' man since his youth but it never works out. Maybe he should try gay? The actor Justin Hartley played a character on "Revenge".

Usually I find it difficult to follow shows that jump back and forth in time but in this show because of the ages of three siblings it's easy to follow.

Although Randall's biological father died last season I like because of the time jumps we still get to see him. I hope we'll see more of his boyfriend.

We now know Jack (the father) died in a house fire but not what led up to it. Looking forward to seeing how it happened.

I watched all the episodes last season, but never really got into the show. Kevin & Toby were so incredibly annoying the first half of the season (Kevin with his stupidity and shallowness, Toby because his constant earnest goodness made my teeth hurt), I was praying for Toby to die after his heart attack and for that AT&T spokechick to hit Kevin over the head with a phone (an old-fashioned heavy rotary model). They got less nauseating as the season went on.

I never started watching this season, and now it seem like too daunting a task to catch up... maybe I'll do it next month when everything will be in reruns.

Then again, due to the shocking Toby scandal, maybe I'll have to boycott the show on moral and ethical grounds.

Edited by samhexum

• 2 weeks later...

In the recent episode Kevin returned to his high school for an alumni award. A fellow alumna told him that both the girls and the gays had crushes on him back then.

They retired Kevin's jersey. It was #1.

I was no athlete. In high school in p.e. my jersey was #1.

Edited by Avalon

In the recent episode the mother said that she was asked if she wanted to hold Kyle the triplet who did not survive for closure. She declined. I thought that Kyle was never born, that he was "absorbed"?

Again in this episode the (black) baby was called Randall. But I remember he did not get the name Randall until several years later.

Edited by Avalon

Avalon, the various timelines in the stories may have confused you. The triplets were all fine right up until birth, when Kyle didn't survive so he couldn't have been "absorbed". The parents had no idea there was any problem up until that time.

As for Randall's name, he was originally given the name Kyle but Rebecca had trouble bonding with him. She went to see his birth father, William, and discussed this with him. He suggested they give the baby his own name rather than the name intended for the third triplet. Rebecca asked William the name of his favorite poet, and Randall was the poet's last name. That's where his name came from. Not several years later, probably just a few days.

Avalon, the various timelines in the stories may have confused you. The triplets were all fine right up until birth, when Kyle didn't survive so he couldn't have been "absorbed". The parents had no idea there was any problem up until that time.

As for Randall's name, he was originally given the name Kyle but Rebecca had trouble bonding with him. She went to see his birth father, William, and discussed this with him. He suggested they give the baby his own name rather than the name intended for the third triplet. Rebecca asked William the name of his favorite poet, and Randall was the poet's last name. That's where his name came from. Not several years later, probably just a few days.

Thanks alot for the clarification. I noticed that the actor who plays William - Ron Cephas Jones - is in the opening credits although he is not seen in every episode.

There was an episode where the mother took the daughter and Randall to the public swimming pool. The mother met a black woman there and it came up that Randall needed black friends. That's when I thought the name change came about.

Edited by Avalon