Taboo Montreal

P Gren
This topic is 2378 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Someone on here - don't remember who - sort of challenged me to go by Taboo and check it out (Montreal). I did. It's a bit off the beaten (no pun intended) track at the east edge of the gay village. Maybe a mile or so from Campus and Stock. It's in an area with generally quiet streets, no one around, other than being a block away from a Metro station. There were a few guys smoking by the doorway, other than that, didn't see anyone else on the street. The bar is a bit of a classic dive - low ceilings, basic furnishing, small space etc. I got a beer and sat by the bar just next to a group of people that were talking amongst themselves. I watched a guy perform. Not 'classically' attractive or particularly good with his dancing either. I don't know maybe 30, thin, some bad tattoos, basic dance moves. (I'm not trying to be hard on the place or the dancer, it was a Wednesday night.) I stayed about 30 minutes. I don't see myself going back.

You were expecting to see a ballet at the Taj Mahal?

Do you really go to a male strip club to see dance moves?

You responded with questions that seem to lack any curiosity. I can go to my gym for naked men that aren't performing. I've seen some very artful dancers at other clubs. Taboo, on the night I was there, felt like bad amateur theatre, kudos for getting up on stage, doesn't mean the reviews are going to be good.

Someone on here - don't remember who - sort of challenged me to go by Taboo and check it out (Montreal). I did. It's a bit off the beaten (no pun intended) track at the east edge of the gay village. Maybe a mile or so from Campus and Stock. It's in an area with generally quiet streets, no one around, other than being a block away from a Metro station. There were a few guys smoking by the doorway, other than that, didn't see anyone else on the street. The bar is a bit of a classic dive - low ceilings, basic furnishing, small space etc. I got a beer and sat by the bar just next to a group of people that were talking amongst themselves. I watch a guy perform. Not 'classically' attractive or particularly good with his dancing either. I don't know maybe 30, thin, some bad tattoos, basic dance moves. (I'm not trying to be hard on the place or the dancer, it was a Wednesday night.) I stayed about 30 minutes. I don't see myself going back.

I've not visited Taboo but I was informed by a few friends who've been there that the place is not particularly clean and that one needs to

carefully guard the wallet. Any truth to either descriptions?

I have been to Taboo many times. It's definitely a dive bar, with all that suggests, but I have never been robbed there (or been especially worried about it). I agree it's not the cleanest place I have ever been in my life. But if you like dive bars with sexy but not model-handsome young men, who take their clothes off and can be very adventurous in the private room, it's a blast. Keep an eye on your wallet, the way you would in any bar, and you'll be fine.

I watch a guy perform. Not 'classically' attractive or particularly good with his dancing either. I don't know maybe 30, thin, some bad tattoos, basic dance moves. (I'm not trying to be hard on the place or the dancer, it was a Wednesday night.) I stayed about 30 minutes. I don't see myself going back.The club, an amateur hour vibe, I expect anyone under 25 could get up on stage. Think of it as a bit of strip karaoke.

That's been my experience the last dozen or so times I've visited. My how the once mighty Taboo has fallen since its glory days pre-2006. Just like some baseball teams, Taboo has been in dire need of new management from the top down. It has suffered from a poor selection of twinks and has become a virtual ghost town on many a weekend. Taboo no longer benefits from the notorious 'barely-legal twink heaven' reputation it once held which once attracted an international clientele. It has become a gamble, or "throw of the dice," regarding whether-or-not you may find a diamond in the rough.

My partner and I have been going to Taboo for probably 20 years. While I agree that it has fallen from its glory days, I feel I must correct the idea that you have to watch your wallet. We have never felt the need to watch our wallets (except to watch how much we spend on lap dances) nor felt threatened in the bar or in the neighborhood walking from the Metro to the bar.

Another thread mentions that there is only room for 2 strip clubs in Montreal. We hope one of them is Taboo.

My partner and I have been going to Taboo for probably 20 years. While I agree that it has fallen from its glory days, I feel I must correct the idea that you have to watch your wallet. We have never felt the need to watch our wallets (except to watch how much we spend on lap dances) nor felt threatened in the bar or in the neighborhood walking from the Metro to the bar.

Another thread mentions that there is only room for 2 strip clubs in Montreal. We hope one of them is Taboo.

When I started the thread it was about the bar talent-wise not about the clientele or the neighbourhood. The neighbourhood was quiet late at night, no street life to speak of (good or bad), and it's right across from the Metro. The bar was quiet too - it was a Wednesday night, so no competition with Stock Bar that night (Ladies Night there). Didn't feel like I'd be robbed or anything bad was going to happen at any time. Safe in that way, I didn't even think about that while I was there. Was just expecting more there, there.

Archived