Anything to see in San Paulo?

12is12
This topic is 2310 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest RBmont-real

The FrenchArt/ParisSchool collection on the top floor of MASP is impressive if you like that sort of thing. No other museums in Latin/South America have the same breadth of Impressionist Art. Most of the notable masters. It was close to me when I stayed in Sao Paulo and I went almost everyday, really cheap admission. All the pieces are hung on partitions and capture much of the natural light from perimeter windows, in contrast to most galleries where art is hanged on walls, often in darkish rooms. Not to be missed.

The Sao Paulo Dance Company, more contemporary, is fantastic if "on program" in town. I have seen them on North America tours.

I think that Sao Paulo is a great city for the employed and those with money and kin to enjoy the gourmet dining. Otherwise, a few historic churches, top-floor mammoth bldg views, a few cultural landmarks, and parks/gardens. Personally, I find it huge and somewhat intimidating and not much to offer after whipping through the major sites. Not very fun without a travel companion. Club scene geared for the young.

I was going to go back to Lagoa one time recently on an overnight layover to Rio. It took about 2 hours for a short airport-zone hotel shuttle ride in pouring rain. I concluded it would take a taxi forever to get to Ibirapuera district to sample the fare.

Hi All,

I googled "top attractions in SP" and didn't find anything special.

All you guys familiar with Lagoa and Fragata, anything to see/do in the city other than the saunas?

Thx

(-:

Been to Lagos and had hot time with a tall, handsome, well hung guy with piercing beautiful brown eyes. Saw a lot of other guys hanging around there.

Having been to São Paulo nine times I think it is fair comment that Lagoa is its principal attraction. It does have some nice restaurants for a nice post Lagoa dinner. Having said that I have become rather fond of São Paulo. The New York Times travel writer once described it as the ugliest and most dangerous city your ever likely to love. I think I know what he means.

• 1 month later...

The New York Times travel writer once described it as the ugliest and most dangerous city your ever likely to love.

I think I know what he means.

Your recollection about the quote from the New York Times article is extraordinarily accurate.

Job well done!

"It may be the ugliest, most dangerous city you'll ever love."

Here is a link to the full article which will tell the OP about a few more things to see and do in Sao Paulo:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/14/travel/14hours.html

Edited by coriolis888

Check to see what's at www.tripadvisor.com, www.viator.com, and do a goggle check, "Must Sees or Visits" while in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

I've been there four X's and was not at a loss for its culture. ...had four different private gay travel guides; plus I used guide books to seek out what you are inquiring.

After you return I think a report here would be appropriate for future gay travelers.

[Only one of my guides still does this type of work. Find him on Facebook; his name is Danilo Horten... (...can't spell his surname). He's a superb guide who is now CEO of his company.

He'll do cultural but not sexual tours now. He's gorgeous and is now married to a doctor.

Edited by Axiom2001

Hi All,

I googled "top attractions in SP" and didn't find anything special.

All you guys familiar with Lagoa and Fragata, anything to see/do in the city other than the saunas?

Thx

(-:

Here is a link to something unusual in Sao Paulo. Most locals have not been to this exhibit.

The exhibit (building) was "inspired" by New York's Empire State Building - Of course, the building is smaller but is based on a similar principle - taking elevators and stairway to the top of the third tallest building in the city for spectacular views of the city.

You need to bring ID with you but the elevators and top visit are free. It is open only during the day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altino_Arantes_Building

(from the above link) -

"The Banespa Tower is one of the best-known skyscrapers of São Paulo. In the highest point of the building, accessible from 33rd floor by 2 sets of stairs, there is an observation deck with views of up to 40 km."

• 4 weeks later...
Guest RBmont-real

Thanks, all, for these added tips. I am planning a longer than previous visit to Sao Paulo in early Sept. Long stretches of free time 'tween Lagoa visits. I think I will consider an excursion by bus to Ubatuba on the state's coast. 3-4 hours ride, I believe.