World Travel Advice...

easygoingpal
This topic is 2407 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hello... Would someone kindly give me some advice on traveling to Australia (Sydney/Melbourne) around the first or second week in February 2018 for about a week? So far, I have searched round trips from SFO to SYD and I see a non-stop flight for less than $1000 flying Monday to Monday (best days to travel?). Should I consider 10 days instead of 7 (jet lag)? I have an US passport and I see that for a short stay, I need to request an ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) from the Australian government (search results say about $20). I have a membership with Hilton, but I can easily adjust to bargain hotels. Mainly, what would be your advice on hiring in Australia? I am familiar with the process here in San Francisco, but I don't wish to do something that would get me in trouble on the other side of the world. Thanks in advance.

Feb is peak season in Sydney, the Mardi GRAS festival is in full swing with the big parade and party on March 3,2018.

Lots of hotels and flights sell out early, lots of hiring opportunities.

Happy for a PM, I'm a Sydney resident.

Thanks... I'm certainly looking for tips on how to make it a fun visit. This trip has been in my bucket list for a number of years. If March is a better option than February, I could reschedule my plans. I will PM you shortly. Best...

Several comments: 10 days, not 7; little jet lag to Australia, much more upon returning to the U.S.; I was there in February in the the 1990s (also two other times), I suggest just before the Mardi Gras or just after.

As to hiring, it was different on each trip, so I can not help on current hiring. Different in the sense that houses of boys sadly disappeared by my second and third trips. Big loss.

Thanks WilliamM, it's looking that 10 days is the way to go because of losing time getting there and adjusting to the jet lag. Upon return, I will take a couple more vacation days to recover from the time change. Would you mind expanding on your suggestion to travel before or after Mardi Gras? Are things too chaotic? What's your opinion?

Regarding the hiring, I may just do that once and will probably look at RM or another site that is local.

Best...

Would you mind expanding on your suggestion to travel before or after Mardi Gras?

Just my personality, I do not like traveling at peak times. There's so much to see and do even 10 days is not enough. I rented an apartment, rather than staying in a hotel. People are extremely friendly. I was interested in little-known beaches, so saw a lot of the city searching.

Yes, my personality will come into play in making a final decision on my traveling dates... Most of the time I am on my own and once in a while I attend crowded events. This being my first time traveling to Australia, 10 days may be just right, plus I will need a couple more days after the trip to recoup. I am still in the work force, so that adds to the time limitation.

Renting sounds like a great idea... Would you recommend to open an account with Airbnb? How did you get around to visit those little-known beaches? Uber?

Many of the less-visited beaches are accessible by public transport.

Yes, I always took public transportation, and much walking. I also asked as many people as possible about beaches (other than Bondi and Manly). I had more time though and it was my third time in Australia. I live in Philadelphia, so usually spent a day or two in LA on the way home.

Archived