The rich have the same problems as you and I...

samhexum
This topic is 2440 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I can't tell you the amount of times this has happened to me:

Billionaire developer Harry Macklowe is seeking to annex part of his estranged wife's $14 million apartment as they fight a nasty divorce battle, a new lawsuit charges.

Harry Macklowe built the 96-story building at 432 Park Ave., touted as one of the tallest residential structures in the Western hemisphere.

Linda Macklowe, 79, says in a new lawsuit that her 80-year-old husband secured improper approvals to tear down parts of her extravagant 78th floor unit so he can expand his footprint in the only other apartment on that floor.

"Plans show the demolition of what was previously (Linda's) master bedroom, master bath, library/bedroom and a portion of the full bath adjacent to the library/bedroom demolished, and reconstructed as part of the adjacent unit," papers read.

The annexation would reduce Linda's apartment from a three-bedroom, three-bathroom unit to a one-bedroom, one and a half bathroom apartment, the suit says.

The total floor area would drop from 2,663 square feet to 1,766, according to papers.

Linda says she finalized a purchase agreement for the apartment in Jan. 2013 but has yet to close on it. She says the building — identified in papers only by its LLC, 56th and Park Owner — is breaking the terms of their agreement.

Harry Macklowe’s wife grilled during trial over ruthless spending

Harry Macklowe got the green light for the Department of Buildings in July, papers indicate. His reasons for doing so were not explained in the lawsuit filed Tuesday in Manhattan Supreme Court.

The Macklowes are due back in divorce court Wednesday for a third week of hearings. Among other luxuries, Linda is fighting to keep her $100 million apartment in the Plaza, where she now resides.

Calls to attorneys for both sides were not immediately returned.

"Linda says she finalized a purchase agreement for the apartment in Jan. 2013 but has yet to close on it."

Seriously? She hasn't closed on it in over 4 1/2 YEARS? Is the building not complete?

Sounds like the divorce property settlement is dragging on and she doesn't have the funds. Or the husband is screwing with the process with the condo board or something. The article doesn't really give enough detail to know what's going on and who is the reason things are dragging out. I would guess each party is hoping to outlive the other and inherit it all because they're still married.

Archived