How much of a client's fee does a spa massseur keep?

beethoven
This topic is 2429 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I know every spa differs, but I'm just curious as to how much of the $60 or $90 that I pay for a spa massage goes to the masseur? Do they get paid a % of each massage they do, or do they get paid for every hour they're on duty, no matter how many clients they see? There was a recent post where one person said 35%; what does everyone think? I'd venture a guess, but I really have no idea. Thanks!

I managed a high-end spa once. Unless someone tells you his pay negotiation, it's very difficult to know what an individual's arrangement is. Typically, only a handful in high-end spas get more than 50% commission, and that is usually contingent on tenure, size of clientele, and whether the boss really likes you and wants to keep you. The boss always makes the most money on the lowest paid workers. Beginners often start out with a very low commission, like 7-10%, or a very small salary like minimum wage, until they prove themselves capable of building a following. Many owners attach an additional fee for supplies used. Laundry is usually outsourced and the service is not cheap. I don't know any spa that offers paid health care to its employees.

No massage therapist in a spa setting is making a killing. The low-end spas are basically candle-scented slave ships. Service workers are all tip dependent. There are only so many hours in the day and the work is exhausting. High turnover is a challenge in this business. Burn-out is a common problem. Oftentimes, the only way to get a raise is to go work for someone else or go off on your own.

The best guys in the business often try to find a way to go out on their own. It's the only way to maximize profits. However, it's not easy to sustain a word-of-mouth business, legit or not. The therapist has to be prepared for high and low moments, and then there's the issue of incall/outcall, table or bed. Most professionals will not work on a bed or want to travel with a table. A lot of guys will advertise on CL with sexy photos to boost sales, but have no intention of doing anything sexual when you see them. It's a tough business. High tippers get the best treatment.

(Edit)

I should also add, that some spas collect tips and disperse them equally, while others don't. Many diva spa employees will never share their tips. Oftentimes, this issue is contentious when trying to recruit someone. It is tradition in the spa/beauty business that owners, if they are working service individuals, do not accept tips. They make plenty of money off the backs of their hard working employees, customers reject any notion of tipping an owner on top of the service price. If an owner allows it, it's considered extremely greedy and tacky. When a massage therapist or a hairdresser goes off on his own, he/she then becomes the "owner." The no-tipping tradition is usually respected be these individuals. They set a firm price and inform their customers that tips are no longer accepted.

Much like hairdressers, most newbie massage therapists will start out at a well-run, low-paying spa with the promise of building a loyal following. The busier the spa, the more customers a new therapist will get a chance to serve. The more expensive spas attract the wealthier customers.

A loyal following is defined by customers who will follow you almost anywhere if and when you decide to move on. It takes a long time to build such a following. It takes a particular talent, too, and I'm not talking sex. I have no experience with a low-end spa. I don't know how they get away with their work since every employee is required to be licensed. Without a license, the business will be fined and/or shut down if ever inspected.

Tipping is the only way a therapist can survive financially. Even if booked with 5, 1-hour clients a day, and say each customer tips $20, the therapist takes home $100 per day. $100 a day is not bad pay for a service provider, but 5 massages a day times 5 days a week is not an easy schedule to accomplish, not to mention maintain for a long period of time. It's not enough money to live alone in a big city.

Most of the best massage therapists don't work in the business for their love of money. Most do it because it's a calling, a holistic gift. Tipping well is great way to say thank you, especially if they made you feel better.

Archived