Deleting search history from Firefox

Kevin Slater
This topic is 2484 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I use Firefox on a Mac. If I enter text into a search field (on this site to search forum posts, for example), it remembers past searches and suggests them when I click on that field next time. I used to be able to clear out specific entries by highlighting them and holding the shift and delete keys. Beginning yesterday, this no longer works; when I try, the entire pop-down list of suggestions just disappears, only to pop up again next time I perform a search. Thoughts?

Kevin Slater

I use Firefox on a Mac. If I enter text into a search field (on this site to search forum posts, for example), it remembers past searches and suggests them when I click on that field next time. I used to be able to clear out specific entries by highlighting them and holding the shift and delete keys. Beginning yesterday, this no longer works; when I try, the entire pop-down list of suggestions just disappears, only to pop up again next time I perform a search. Thoughts?

Kevin Slater

This is for a Firefox for Windows - I'm not sure how it may differ on a Mac: I enter a letter ('space' seems to serve as a wildcard) and a scroll-box opens with all my form history. I hover over one, not click, and press Delete and it is removed from the list.

THIS article seems to say that shift-Del should work on a Mac. Also, it says "you can delete your entire autocomplete lists from the Firefox "History (or Tools) -> Clear Recent History" menu"

So, basically, I'm no help whatsoever.

I found a solution. If I click and hold on a term, it then gets highlighted and shift + delete then gets rid of it. Strange that it would change after all these years, but I'm glad to again be able to erase any embarrassing term I may have once searched for. :p

Kevin Slater

Archived