Sublent in DC available!

hunterlee
This topic is 2473 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live nearby. Until recently, I was on the board of my building and have some idea of rents for different sized units in this area. I know what furnishings add/don't add (not much esp. for a studio) and how little high end appliances matter to renters (and how much they cost in repairs to owners). I also know that well managed buildings generally do not permit short-term rentals. And a lot of people concerned about their investment won't buy in one that does. I've lived in 4 different DC buildings--3 times an owner, once a renter. One building where I owned was quite modest, while the others are a bit more grand. None of these buildings (I still know people in all three) allows a lease of of less than 6 mos (and the condo or co-op board needs to see the lease). The building where I rented was a middling building surrounded by "Best Address" buildings--they allowed 3 month leases. My guess is that Hunter is stuck with a big mortgage and is trying to make a little money and doing it in a building that doesn't care---nothing wrong with that, but a long time ago I learned that enterepreneur often means a sucker looking for a bigger one. I think that's what we have here. I'm not being mean although I did need to dig when Hunter advertised his place as being a bit far from the location he advertised. Address inflation is common in DC--there was a time when buildings now advertised as Logan Circle were advertised as "Dupont East" or something else to draw-in people who wouldn't have looked otherwise, but it's become much more difficult to do now that there are so many "in demand" neighborhoods and therefore kindof funny when people do it.

I live nearby. Until recently, I was on the board of my building and have some idea of rents for different sized units in this area. I know what furnishings add/don't add (not much esp. for a studio) and how little high end appliances matter to renters (and how much they cost in repairs to owners). I also know that well managed buildings generally do not permit short-term rentals. And a lot of people concerned about their investment won't buy in one that does. I've lived in 4 different DC buildings--3 times an owner, once a renter. One building where I owned was quite modest, while the others are a bit more grand. None of these buildings (I still know people in all three) allows a lease of of less than 6 mos (and the condo or co-op board needs to see the lease). The building where I rented was a middling building surrounded by "Best Address" buildings--they allowed 3 month leases. My guess is that Hunter is stuck with a big mortgage and is trying to make a little money and doing it in a building that doesn't care---nothing wrong with that, but a long time ago I learned that enterepreneur often means a sucker looking for a bigger one. I think that's what we have here. I'm not being mean although I did need to dig when Hunter advertised his place as being a bit far from the location he advertised. Address inflation is common in DC--there was a time when buildings now advertised as Logan Circle were advertised as "Dupont East" or something else to draw-in people who wouldn't have looked otherwise, but it's become much more difficult to do now that there are so many "in demand" neighborhoods and therefore kindof funny when people do it.

Please tell me more about my place that I've lived in that you don't.

Great info for bringing light to the possible challenges of finding a place in D.C. area!

As for me...this is just me, I wouldn't sublet again unless I was included on the actual lease. I know it's different situation, but I "subletted" (and that definition can be as broad as just letting someone airbnb/couch surf to actually giving them the keys to take over the lease.

Archived