Does an awesome massage trump a fake pic?

Martin
This topic is 1097 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm conflicted about this... Just had an amazing therapeutic and sensual massage with an articulate, friendly and professional masseur. He was on time, if not early, prepared and obviously knew his craft. The only thing is his pics were NOT him! He's probably 15-20 years older and although not unattractive, was not the ripped person shown in pics. At first I'm like WTF? But after 30 min into the massage my disappointment wore off.

So the question is, are fake or decade old pics made to lure you into an appointment dishonest if the massage was excellent?

https://rentmasseur.com/nycgroomer

Can you pm me

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an old thread, but I'll add my two cents. There's a difference between using someone else's photos and using old ones of yourself. Yesterday I saw, for the first time, a masseur who uses pictures at least 15 years old, and says in his ad that he's 16 years younger than he really is. I know his real age because he says it openly on his video and gives his birth date in his book. Having seen the video, I was prepared for this.

It didn't make any difference at all. He has a great personality, was generous with his body, and gave a GREAT massage. The "extras" were also A+.

Yes, the photos on his site and his taking 16 years off his age were deceptive, but not as bad as using a model's photos when you don't look anything like him -- or aren't him at all! A recent post (by Martin, July 2017) called the milder deception "puffery." That's about right. (Especially since my guy was a bit puffy, compared to the slim and trim photos of 16 -- or more -- years ago.)

Yesterday I saw, for the first time, a masseur who uses pictures at least 15 years old, and says in his ad that he's 16 years younger than he really is. I know his real age because he says it openly on his video and gives his birth date in his book. Having seen the video, I was prepared for this.

Who was it?

This is an old thread, but I'll add my two cents. There's a difference between using someone else's photos and using old ones of yourself. Yesterday I saw, for the first time, a masseur who uses pictures at least 15 years old, and says in his ad that he's 16 years younger than he really is. I know his real age because he says it openly on his video and gives his birth date in his book. Having seen the video, I was prepared for this.

It didn't make any difference at all. He has a great personality, was generous with his body, and gave a GREAT massage. The "extras" were also A+.

Yes, the photos on his site and his taking 16 years off his age were deceptive, but not as bad as using a model's photos when you don't look anything like him -- or aren't him at all! A recent post (by Martin, July 2017) called the milder deception "puffery." That's about right. (Especially since my guy was a bit puffy, compared to the slim and trim photos of 16 -- or more -- years ago.)

I don't think there's any difference at all here. Appearance is an essential criteria of the kind of hiring decisions most people discuss here. In other words, we look at photos to learn a masseur's identity and looks. I know it, you know it, and he knows it. That's why he used photos that don't accurately show what he looks like (15-year-old photos in your case, which only got the identity criteria right but not the looks)...because he expects those photos to attract business that he wouldn't have otherwise earned. That is not puffery. That's called a scam, fraud.

His personality might be great, except for the scamming tendencies, but that still doesn't make what he did acceptable. That, of course, assumes that you're not willing to let yourself be scammed so brazenly when all you would have to do to avoid it is walk away.

What's interesting to me is that you went in there knowing you were being scammed. You were "prepared" for it. I'm not sure why one would do that, given how many excellent and honest masseurs there are out there. But to each his own.

I realize this might read as if I'm coming for you hard, but I'm not. This is isn't personal. My vendetta is against those who run scams in an industry where there are so many people working hard and honestly to try to make a living. So what I'm coming for is your rationalization of the fact that your masseur is running a scam.

Edited by thedanNYC