Alexander Calder at the Whitney Museum

foxy
This topic is 2508 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There are many great artists that have created works of profound beauty. However there are some great artists that create works that put a happy smile on your face. Calder has always done that for me. There is a very nice show now at the Whitney with several mechanized pieces that haven't been on display for many years. It's on the 8th and top floor of the museum right next to the very good cafe with indoor and outdoor seating. It has great views of the West Village, the High Line, the Hudson River and the infamous Standard Hotel. It's vibrant part of town always filled with attractive locals and tourists from around the world. Great people watching! If you go I'd suggest late afternoon for the exhibit and then a cocktail on the balcony at sunset and a walk along the High Line as night falls and the city lights come on. Magical!

www.whitney.org

There are many great artists that have created works of profound beauty. However there are some great artists that create works that put a happy smile on your face. Calder has always done that for me. There is a very nice show now at the Whitney with several mechanized pieces that haven't been on display for many years. It's on the 8th and top floor of the museum right next to the very good cafe with indoor and outdoor seating. It has great views of the West Village, the High Line, the Hudson River and the infamous Standard Hotel. It's vibrant part of town always filled with attractive locals and tourists from around the world. Great people watching! If you go I'd suggest late afternoon for the exhibit and then a cocktail on the balcony at sunset and a walk along the High Line as night falls and the city lights come on. Magical!

www.whitney.org

Thanks foxy for sharing this information.

It is said that Alexander Calder "changed the nature of sculpture. He redefined what sculpture was, could possibly be & now is".

Here's a brief look at some of his works:

Thanks foxy for sharing this information.

It is said that Alexander Calder "changed the nature of sculpture. He redefined what sculpture was, could possibly be & now is".

Here's a brief look at some of his works:

Archived