Linda Eder

This topic is 1748 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Benjamin_Nicholas Linda Eder is not giving much meaning to the words in "Don't Rain on My Parade," the only song of the three I heard out of town before Broadway (back in 1964). We seldom disagree, and I realize Ms. Eder would have sung the song differently if she was the original star of "Funny Girl."

Exactly. This was a concert performance. A chance for her to show off the fact that she's got at least 6 octaves at play ;)

But to be truthful, Eder was never a good actress. She colors her singing with beautiful emotion, but give her lines and it sounds as hollow as a tin can.

You know who probably still might do a great "Don't Rain On My Parade" (though she'd be long in the tooth to play Brice at this point)? Debra Messing. She went to my alma mater (Brandeis), starting the fall after I graduated, but I was staying on to work in the theatre department, and I got to work with her a number of times. "Parade" used to be her go-to audition song, and she was fierce with it. It's a shame in some ways that she hasn't done more singing in her career - but I'm not about to complain either - she's done pretty damn well for herself! :D

You know who probably still might do a great "Don't Rain On My Parade" (though she'd be long in the tooth to play Brice at this point)? Debra Messing. She went to my alma mater (Brandeis), starting the fall after I graduated, but I was staying on to work in the theatre department, and I got to work with her a number of times. "Parade" used to be her go-to audition song, and she was fierce with it. It's a shame in some ways that she hasn't done more singing in her career - but I'm not about to complain either - she's done pretty damn well for herself! :D

AS to Debra Messing, it is funny that she had a major role in Smash!!!, but she played a lyricist not an actress and as a result she sang very infrequently on that show.

As for Ms Eder, my wife was a huge Jekyll and Hyde fan so I saw Ms Eder in her role in that show about eight times including her final performance. She and Christine Noll were excellent vocalists but the acting was only passable.

I had a very minimal awareness of Eder... knew who she is, sorta recognized the voice.

Just yesterday, driving home, Sirius XM On Broadway station in the car.... Bring On The Men from J&H... maybe the first time I really listened to it.

Instantaneous fandom!

The song was eventually cut from the show and replaced with "Good and Evil" which is not nearly as good in my opinion.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=tightropetb&p=linda+eder+bring+on+the+men#id=3&vid=48bb99333de3ff4b821a3d198b8899e5&action=click

Guest DeepSouthDad53

I'm sold. How ashamed should I be for my complete ignorance of her existence? And is Deep South isolation a valid excuse?

I am not quite sure why Linda Eder reminds me of Kate Smith. I should mention that Kate Smith is still relatively well known here in Philadelphia because she would occasionally sing "God Bless America" in person before Philadelphia Flyer Game.

Jack Paar had a prime-time show on NBC after he left "The Tonight Show."

Note: Perhaps it's as simple as Linda Eder, Jack Paar and Kate Smith are/were special people.

Edited by WilliamM

• 2 weeks later...
Ms Eder was a rising star decades ago, and was compared to Streisand. she never really got the acclaim she truly deserved, and her career has not skyrocketted although she does work steadily. Perhaps a Vegas residency would help her along ?

I'm wondering if some of the issue is her link to her (ex) husband, Frank Wildhorn, and his music. His "popera" style is not to everyone's liking (IMO his tunes are often just fine, if not always inspired, but he settles for absolutely rotten lyric writing), and he has never had a true Broadway success - so if one doesn't like HIS work, one may disregard her by association. Similar situation to Brightman's link to Lloyd Webber, except that Eder is the real deal, while Brightman (IMO) has never really been anything all that special.

Ms Eder was a rising star decades ago, and was compared to Streisand. she never really got the acclaim she truly deserved, and her career has not skyrocketted although she does work steadily. Perhaps a Vegas residency would help her along ?

I'm wondering if some of the issue is her link to her (ex) husband, Frank Wildhorn, and his music. His "popera" style is not to everyone's liking (IMO his tunes are often just fine, if not always inspired, but he settles for absolutely rotten lyric writing), and he has never had a true Broadway success - so if one doesn't like HIS work, one may disregard her by association. Similar situation to Brightman's link to Lloyd Webber, except that Eder is the real deal, while Brightman (IMO) has never really been anything all that special.

Vegas isn't really her thing. She's got a beautiful horse farm in CT and spends most of her time advocating for animals when she's not singing. Eder seems refreshingly 'non-industry,' and it's probably one of many reasons she's kept that beautiful range of hers: She only accepts the gigs she wants to and doesn't overdo it.

It helps that she divorced well from Frank Wildhorn... She's been candid about that in interviews.

Just saw her a few days ago at a Dallas event. She sounded absolutely amazing, which was especially difficult considering it was an outdoor venue... In Texas... In August.