We still love you, Judy

stevenkesslar
This topic is 2544 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

https://www.reviewjournal.com/entertainment/celebrity/judy-garland-laid-to-rest-in-hollywood-forever-mausoleum/

LOS ANGELES — Judy Garland has been laid to rest in a mausoleum named for her at Hollywood Forever Cemetery.

A spokeswoman for Garland’s estate says her family and friends held a private memorial service for the actress on Saturday, which would have been Garland’s 95th birthday. She was buried in the Judy Garland Pavilion.

8711721_web1_8711721-28bbf00187a5492cbad4a2f3ef071125.jpg

I believe this live 1961 Carnegie Hall recording is Garland's best version on "Over The Rainbow." Yes, she is tired because the song is almost 2 hours into the concert, but I doubt she ever sang the end of the song with such conviction. By that point in the concert, she knew the it was being recorded and would almost surely save her career.

If anything, she underestimated the power of the 2-LPs.

That CD got me through a year of driving across Oregon in my organizing days. Every week I was driving all over the state and I listened to its endlessly.

I saw Judy perform a few month later (October 1961) at Boston Garden. She sang a few different songs, including Billie Holiday's "What A Little Moonlight Can Do,"but otherwise sang the same songs.

Area shows were seldom done in 1961. What you would not know from the recording: Judy danced around the stage doing high kicks while the orchestra played during "That's Entertainment." And the audience reaction in Boston to "Come Rain or Come Shine" was ever stronger than at Carnegie Hall.

I also saw Judy Garland at Felt Forum, part of New York's Madison Square Garden. By Christmas week 1967, Judy was missing shows, or showing up late. At the performance I saw, she complained about the venue too much, but enjoyed the fans' many Christmas gifts.

Her voice was diminished, but Judy still knew how to hold the audience's attention. She sang "The Battle Hymn of the Republic," for perhaps the first time since the Kennedy assassination. I remember walking close to the stage as Judy was still taking bows. Of course, I did not know I would never see her again.

I also saw Judy Garland at Felt Forum, part of New York's Madison Square Garden. By Christmas week 1967, Judy was missing shows, or showing up late. At the performance I saw, she complained about the venue too much, but enjoyed the fans' many Christmas gifts.

Her voice was diminished, but Judy still knew how to hold the audience's attention. She sang "The Battle Hymn of the Republic," for perhaps the first time since the Kennedy assassination. I remember walking close to the stage as Judy was still taking bows. Of course, I did not know I would never see her again.

WilliamM...a wonderful post. You've had a full life. Cheers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhWS2XuNZAg

This is my favorite moment from the "Judy Garland Show," which was broadcast from 9 to 10 PM Sunday nights on CBS during 1963-1964.

Sorry this song is taken completely out of context. Judy started the show and ended the show with "Just Once in My Lifetime," but it's confusing because she is dressed at the end as a clown because of the previous song.

"I'm going to do great things!"

Judy Garland was about 5 feet tall, except on stage where she seemed much, much taller. :):)

Much like her daughter. (I'm not talking about Lorna!)

Both knew how to quite literally TAKE the stage and make it theirs. They could literally hold an audience in the palm of their hand.

No pyrotechnics. No hunky backup dancers. No multimedia. No circus animals. Just a lady and a microphone. (Although in Judy's case it's amusing to watch her drag that mic cable across the stage in old videos. She even did that well!)

It's a class of performer that is sadly behind us.

I saw George Jessel sing Al Jolson songs when I was in the Army in 1968. One could say Judy Garland was in the tradition of Jolson because she started in Vaudeville and sang songs associated with Jolson..

Jessel was an asshole, but he was the person who suggested young Frances Gumm change her name. I believe young Frances chose Judy Garland with the help of Mr. Jessel.

Archived