Call Me By Your Name

LoveNDino
This topic is 1893 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Still hasn’t hit San Antonio TX, the 7th largest US city with a population of 1.5 million (which is only 150 miles or 1.5 hours away). Go figure!

The roll out is probably awaiting Oscar nominations to come out next week, juicing ticket sales. A lot of release dates nationally and internationally come after the announcement.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The roll out is probably awaiting Oscar nominations to come out next week, juicing ticket sales. A lot of release dates nationally and internationally come after the announcement.

Damn! Just my luck. I leave for Asia on the 29th. By the time I return in March it will be out of circulation. I really WILL

have to wait for Netflix.

There's some guy on YouTube hawking instructions on how to get the movie from a torrent site. Have no idea about the quality. There are some countries that will not allow the film to be shown, and there seem to be plenty of people from those places who appreciate the torrent download. Of course, if you want movies like this produced moving forward, it's best to support the effort with ticket sales. There's nothing like money to convince Hollywood that the subject matter has a formidable following.

There's some guy on YouTube hawking instructions on how to get the movie from a torrent site. Have no idea about the quality. There are some countries that will not allow the film to be shown, and there seem to be plenty of people from those places who appreciate the torrent download. Of course, if you want movies like this produced moving forward, it's best to support the effort with ticket sales. There's nothing like money to convince Hollywood that the subject matter has a formidable following.

That is sometimes how I will watch certain movies. I watch them before Netflix offers it and then get it from there. I do that because I can watch when I hear about it but the downside is that I can only see it on my computer screen, which while large, is not as large as my TV screen. I do not mind watching a film two times if it is worth watching. Torrents often have things that Netflix just won't get.

I'd really love to hear a director's commentary track

I, too, am looking forward to that. I saw Luca's commentary version of I Am Love twice. I have to assume he did one for CMBYN. I sure hope so. He's a really smart guy, and I love listening to him talk about his process, especially how he had to remove Armie's balls from several frames. I suspect one of the frames was when Elio grabs Oliver's junk shortly after their first kiss. "Am I offending you?" LOVE that moment!

You can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94SwfOmHRQ4

I, too, am looking forward to that. I saw Luca's commentary version of I Am Love twice. I have to assume he did one for CMBYN. I sure hope so. He's a really smart guy, and I love listening to him talk about his process, especially how he had to remove Armie's balls from several frames. I suspect one of the frames was when Elio grabs Oliver's junk shortly after their first kiss. "Am I offending you?" LOVE that moment!

You can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94SwfOmHRQ4

I'd love to hear more from Guadagnino too. He has the scoop on that town. Malfalda is just some local he ran across and cast. Love those tidbits. Would SonyClassics pony up the money for DVD extras? Or if not SonyClassics, then whoever creates the DVD? I hope so. Perhaps it is not all that expensive.

But it's T.C. I want to hear from the most, what was going through his head when he was climbing all over A.H. I expect there may have been some hijinks there although perhaps not too much.

I saw it this weekend too; I had read the book during the holidays; I loved it; I have been mulling over the period in which the movie takes place--1983; the Oliver character knows what he must do--marry a woman and have children--and for the Elio character, it's not as easy; 20 years later it would have given them both more choices; I am still thinking about it!

I saw it this weekend too; I had read the book during the holidays; I loved it; I have been mulling over the period in which the movie takes place--1983; the Oliver character knows what he must do--marry a woman and have children--and for the Elio character, it's not as easy; 20 years later it would have given them both more choices; I am still thinking about it!

Although (and the thing that I was uncomfortable with) the character in the book was 24 years old. FOR ME, the actor (despite any skills he may or may not have) looks many years older than that. Even in the 1980's a 24 year old would not have felt the same pressure to have to marry that may have existed for a 24 year old in the 1920s for instance. In the 1980s 24 year old would still have been able to sow his wild olds, and travel, and study, etc. If the Oliver character was as old as he appeared to be in the movie then I could see that he may have been getting pressure to settle down and find some roots.

Edited by TruthBTold

Although (and the thing that I was uncomfortable with) the character in the book was 24 years old. FOR ME, the actor (despite any skills he may or may not have) looks many years older than that. Even in the 1980's a 24 year old would not have felt the pressure to have to marry that might have existed for a 24 year old in the 1920s for instance. In the 1980 24 year olds would still have been able to sow their wild olds, and travel, and study, etc. If the Oliver character was as old as he appeared to be in the movie then I could see that he may have been getting pressure to settle down and find some roots.

And that's exactly why I believe Oliver in the movie much more than Oliver in the book. My wife and I enjoyed the book and the movie, but we both felt the book didn't read as well. The relationship between a 24 year old and a 17 year old probably wouldn't be as conflicted or complicated as suggested unless Oliver was from a very conservative family, which would make his academic choice strange because such families tend to push their kids toward professional degrees unless they're rich enough to indulge their kid's flights of fancy.

I think the casting of Hammer really works because Oliver as a 30-something makes the hesitation and internal conflict believable while also turning the relationship into something legitimately challenging or questionable given the age difference, especially in the early '80s.

Edited by LivingnLA

So, Ruth Bader Ginsburg loves CMBYN. Talk about validation for my taste.

Armie Hammer Joins Felicity Jones in Ruth Bader Ginsburg Biopic

I think Mrs. Ginsburg may be an Armie Hammer fan! He is co-starring as Mrs. Ginsburg's husband, Marty, in 'On the Basis of Sex' [which] will be directed by Mimi Leder from a script by Daniel Stiepleman, who is also Ginsburg’s nephew: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/armie-hammer-joins-felicity-jones-ruth-bader-ginsburg-biopic-1036256

Marty and Ruth following their engagement party on December 27, 1953:

31-edit_custom-a0745d2f1d6a1b23abec2bd081e9a46e32f40f4c-s300-c85.jpg

Armie Hammer and the young Marty Ginsburg

769341148_5568193820001_5568189702001-vs.jpg?pubId=769341148&videoId=5568189702001

TruHart1 :cool:

And that's exactly why I believe Oliver in the movie much more than Oliver in the book. My wife and I enjoyed the book and the movie, but we both felt the book didn't read as well. The relationship between a 24 year old and a 17 year old probably wouldn't be as conflicted or complicated as suggested unless Oliver was from a very conservative family, which would make his academic choice strange because such families tend to push their kids toward professional degrees unless they're rich enough to indulge their kid's flights of fancy.

I think the casting of Hammer really works because Oliver as a 30-something makes the hesitation and internal conflict believable while also turning the relationship into something legitimately challenging or questionable given the age difference, especially in the early '80s.

In the book Oliver was from an admittedly conservative family. Also, he paid his way through college, so was somewhat free to make his own choices.

In the book my take on Oliver was being conflicted about not wanting to break Elio's heart (he's just a kid) but also trying to avoid his own broken heart. He said he didn't want any trouble, and that is what he was talking about, even though during the peach scene we already knew he'd fallen for Elio. I didn't feel Oliver that much in the movie, but Elio (T.C.) more than made up for that.

Although (and the thing that I was uncomfortable with) the character in the book was 24 years old. FOR ME, the actor (despite any skills he may or may not have) looks many years older than that. Even in the 1980's a 24 year old would not have felt the same pressure to have to marry that may have existed for a 24 year old in the 1920s for instance. In the 1980s 24 year old would still have been able to sow his wild olds, and travel, and study, etc. If the Oliver character was as old as he appeared to be in the movie then I could see that he may have been getting pressure to settle down and find some roots.

Speaking of dates, I was especially amazed by the prominence in the movie of the famous Greek bronze sculpture of a dancing satyr.

Wow! The movie takes place in the 1980s, and the dancing satyr wasn't discovered until 1998 at the bottom of the Mediterranean off Sicily. Awesome. Talk about academic cinematic insight!

Edited by Kenny

***MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS ABOUT THE ENDING OF THE FILM!***

I am in agreement with the author, André Aciman, the film gets the spirit of the book perfectly, despite changes in the script from the novel, i.e. their special trip is to Bergamo instead of Rome, the villa is near a clear water pool instead of being near the ocean, etc., etc. I had thought it possible that having obsessed about the film before actually viewing it, reading and listening to the novel four times, watching interviews and film festival panels with director, author and stars on Youtube, I might be disappointed when I finally saw the film. Yet for me, all my anticipation of the film and study of the novel led me to loving Guadagnino's pacing, including the muted sex scenes, the cinematography, and both Armie's and Timothée's performances. For me, the film moved neither too slowly nor quickly to that final excellent and emotionally moving scene with the credits overlaying Elio's grief!

TruHart1 :cool:

Speaking of dates, I was especially amazed by the prominence in the movie of the famous Greek bronze sculpture of a dancing satyr.

Wow! The movie takes place in the 1980s, and the dancing satyr wasn't discovered until 1998 at the bottom of the Mediterranean off Sicily. Awesome. Talk about academic cinematic insight!

Ooooops! Someone didn't check for historical accuracy when making the film.