Call Me By Your Name

LoveNDino
This topic is 1898 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to see this film again for the 3rd time over the weekend. I'm a bit obsessed. The theater was packed. Sold out. Tons of younger folk. It almost felt like a Millenial's viewing.

The experience of seeing on film such raw emotion between two male characters who love each other captivates me. I think I'm in love with the love that is presented in this movie. I can't wait to own my own copy.

Went to see this film again for the 3rd time over the weekend. I'm a bit obsessed. The theater was packed. Sold out. Tons of younger folk. It almost felt like a Millenial's viewing.

The experience of seeing on film such raw emotion between two male characters who love each other captivates me. I think I'm in love with the love that is presented in this movie. I can't wait to own my own copy.

I saw it again too. I buddy of mine hadn't so I tagged along. He cried. Such an emotional lamb. ;) I had a tear creep in there this time during the last scene.

For the first time I saw somebody walk out, but it was Pasadena and they were in their 70s.

I saw it again too. I buddy of mine hadn't so I tagged along. He cried. Such an emotional lamb. ;) I had a tear creep in there this time during the last scene.

For the first time I saw somebody walk out, but it was Pasadena and they were in their 70s.

You should get flowers from Sony Classics. I think you’re single-handedly keeping up the weekly gross for this movie ;)

“I wonder when it will hit Netflix?”

To be perfectly honest, the best viewing experience might well be your home TV. For some reason, the clips that are available on the internet are much lighter/brighter than what you see in the movie theater, at least for me. I've seen the film in three different theaters, and each version has been its own unique viewing experience. The third viewing this past weekend was the darkest. So many scenes were too dark to see much detail. Very annoying. Projectors vary from screen to screen. Many scenes in the film take place at night or in low-light situations, so you'll want a good projected version to catch all the details. I have a feeling Netflix or Blu-Ray will produce the best viewing pleasure.

"Went to see this film again for the 3rd time over the weekend. I'm a bit obsessed. The theater was packed. Sold out. Tons of younger folk. It almost felt like a Millenial's viewing."

Got you beat, rogerG :) I`m on my fifth viewing now. I think good word-of-mouth is kicking in. First time I saw this was in the smallest theater in this multiplex and it was half empty. I noticed the theater getting fuller on each subsequent viewings. On this latest viewing, the same multiplex has moved the film into one of their biggest auditoriums and it was packed.

@tchm

In my obsession, I happened to see a video of Timothée Chalamet visiting with Selena Gomez in her home. It was some kind of Social Media live feed, whatever that means. In the video, Selena strongly praised Timothée's work in the film, and she told all her fans the film was a must-see. I assume her very public endorsement is having an effect. My third audience felt like a social media event. I've never seen so many young people (like 15-years young) at an indie-type film before, and I've never seen so many smartphones in an audience before. Luckily, most everyone was respectful with their phones remaining off during the movie.

I'm sure I'll see the film again, but I'm going to wait for Netflix or DVD. It seems the true beauty of this film will stand a better chance of shining through on a really good HD TV. I don't think viewers are getting the best visual experience by seeing this film in a theater. The colors seem very flat to me, and like I said, some movie projectors are making the film project too dark.

Edited by rogerG

• The Guardian:

Timothée Chalamet has become the latest actor – and the most high profile male actor – to publicly disavow Woody Allen, announcing he will be donating his salary from Allen’s upcoming film to the Time’s Up initiative against harassment and assault, alongside other charities.

Chalamet, 22, wore a Time’s Up pin to the Golden Globes this month, where he was nominated for his critically lauded role in Luca Guadagnino’s film Call Me By Your Name. His next film, Allen’s A Rainy Day in New York, is set for 2018 release.

Allen has been the subject of decades-long allegations of sexual abuse by his adopted daughter Dylan Farrow, which were renewed in October 2017 when Farrow wrote a piece in the Los Angeles Times titled “Why has the #MeToo revolution spared Woody Allen?”. Allen continues to deny the allegations.

In an interview with Christiane Amanpour on CNN last week, Chalamet evaded a question about whether he had any “qualms” about working with the director.

“I hesitate to talk about it right now because what I say is only going to anger people,” Chalamet answered. “When that film comes out, if it comes out, that’s going to be really important to talk about, but it’s not the time right now.”

In a post to Instagram on Monday night, Chalamet wrote that the last year of his professional life has “changed the way I see and feel about so many things”.

“I am learning that a good role isn’t the only criteria for accepting a job – that has become much clearer to me in the past few months, having witnessed the birth of a powerful movement intent on ending injustice, inequality and above all, silence.

“I have been asked in a few recent interviews about my decision to work on a film with Woody Allen last summer. I’m not able to answer the question directly because of contractual obligations. But what I can say is this: I don’t want to profit from my work on the film, and to that end, I am going to donate my entire salary to three charities: Time’s Up, the LGBT Centre in New York, and Rainn [the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network].

“I want to be worthy of standing shoulder to shoulder with the brave artists who are fighting for all the people to be treated with the respect and dignity they deserve.”

My comment: Good for him!!

On the other hand.....

From Perez Hilton's blog (sorry):

Alec Baldwin has some unpopular opinions about Woody Allen.

As the 82-year-old filmmaker's longtime sexual misconduct scandal continues to make headlines, the Donald Trump impersonator is speaking up to defend the director, with whom he has worked with several times.7

Taking to Twitter on Tuesday, the 59-year-old pointed out that Allen was "investigated forensically" and that "no charges were filed" stemming from accusations made by Allen's adopted daughter Dylan Farrow.

Baldwin wrote: Woody Allen was investigated forensically by two states (NY and CT) and no charges were filed. The renunciation of him and his work, no doubt, has some purpose. But it’s unfair and sad to me. I worked w WA 3 times and it was one of the privileges of my career.

I praised Timothee for his stand against Woody Allen. Timothee mentioned Woody Allen first. I agree with Timothee Why is my post wrong?

It is not wrong. The suggestion was that this was a thread about something else and would be better served placed elsewhere. You were not being criticized...the placement was.

The suggestion was that this was a thread about something else and would be better served placed elsewhere.

This thread has well over 200 post. Except for several posts by @Kenny with critical comments about Armie Hammer, almost everyone likes the film, if not the distribution of the film. I know Kenny fairly well. Most people here know Kenny and I are internet friend. But, that is not the issue apparently.

This thread has well over 200 post. Except for several posts by @Kenny with critical comments about Armie Hammer, almost everyone likes the film, if not the distribution of the film. I know Kenny fairly well. Most people here know Kenny and I are internet friend. But, that is not the issue apparently.

I didn't really feel the need to contradict everybody, but I pretty much agree with Kenny. I didn't find Armie Hammer particularly convincing, I was surprised to find that he was meant to be portraying a 24 year old when he looks every day of 30, the first hour of the film dragged... Overall I still enjoyed it, but my praise would not be as effusive as most of that in this thread.