Call Me By Your Name

LoveNDino
This topic is 1888 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I read the Brody piece in the New Yorker and IMO he got some parts wrong, and other complaints are his problem, not the movie's. But really some people will decide not to like something and so it goes. I wonder if the bisexuality rubs people the wrong way. It never did me. :D

Luca Guadagnino and Timothee Chalamet will be here in LA this weekend for 4 Q&A's. Excited to see them in person. :)

In the meantime, TC and AM were on Ellen this week. Good interview.

Edited by OCClient

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Los Angeles Film Critics Association Announces 2017 Award Winners

Call Me by Your Name takes home Best Picture.

Halle Kiefer December 3, 2017

Whether they take place in sun-drenched Italy or some sort of aquatic government facility, 2017 is looking like the year of romances. Awards season has only just begun, and Call Me by Your Name has already emerged as one of this year’s frontrunners.

Sunday night,the Los Angeles Film Critics Association named the coming-of-age film their pick for Best Picture, and star Timothée Chalamet Best Actor. Director Luca Guadagnino, however, tied for Best Director with Guillermo del Toro for the latter’s work in The Shape of Water, which is also shaping up to be a contender. In addition to the shared directorial award, Shape took home Best Cinematography and earned lead Sally Hawkins the award for Best Actress. Meanwhile, Laurie Metcalf won Best Supporting Actress for Lady Bird, and Willem Dafoe earned Best Supporting Actor for The Florida Project. You can read the full list of LAFCA award recipients below.

Los Angeles Film Critics Association Announces 2017 Award Winners

Call Me by Your Name takes home Best Picture.

Halle Kiefer December 3, 2017

Whether they take place in sun-drenched Italy or some sort of aquatic government facility, 2017 is looking like the year of romances. Awards season has only just begun, and Call Me by Your Name has already emerged as one of this year’s frontrunners.

Sunday night,the Los Angeles Film Critics Association named the coming-of-age film their pick for Best Picture, and star Timothée Chalamet Best Actor. Director Luca Guadagnino, however, tied for Best Director with Guillermo del Toro for the latter’s work in The Shape of Water, which is also shaping up to be a contender. In addition to the shared directorial award, Shape took home Best Cinematography and earned lead Sally Hawkins the award for Best Actress. Meanwhile, Laurie Metcalf won Best Supporting Actress for Lady Bird, and Willem Dafoe earned Best Supporting Actor for The Florida Project. You can read the full list of LAFCA award recipients below.

Did Luca G. and Timothee C. attend the LA Film Critics Association awards? Perhaps that is why they showed up at 4 showings this weekend.

The trailer for The Shape of Water looks amazing.

I talked to someone at ArcLight last night who has already seen I, Tonya and it sounds good. Perhaps people shy away because of the circumstances. The cast does look good.

I still haven't seen Lady Bird.

Vultur:

Straight White Man Armie Hammer Will Star in Straight White Men on Broadway

By Jackson McHenry@McHenryJDShare

• to try new, scary things will continue next summer with a stint on Broadway. The actor is starring in Second Stage Theater’s production of the Young Jean Lee dark comedy Straight White Men, directed by Anna D. Shapiro. The play centers on three adult brothers (Hammer among them), who gather with their father (Tom Skerritt) and reckon with the privilege that comes with being straight white men — maybe in this version they also read BuzzFeed articles about themselves. According to Playbill, this will be the first time a play written by an Asian woman has been produced on Broadway. It will not be the first to star a straight white man.

I saw Guadagnino last weekend. Interesting fellow.

Here he is from the Sirius Andy Cohen interview last week, with the cast of CMBYN.

Sounds like Chalamet had a little gay buddy in high school named Joey. So sweet. These millennials are so free compared to how it was. Hurray for them.

Andy Cohen - Bless His Heart...

Finally "Call Me By Your Name" is playing soon here in Philadelphia. I can never remember waiting this long to see such a well respected gay film.

I wonder if it's why two New York Times film critics did not list the film in their respective lists of top 10 films. The New Yorker still lists the film as being in limited release.

Finally "Call Me By Your Name" is playing soon here in Philadelphia. I can never remember waiting this long to see such a well respected gay film.

I wonder if it's why two New York Times film critics did not list the film in their respective lists of top 10 films. The New Yorker still lists the film as being in limited release.

I just read Manohla Dargis’ review....she’s someone whose reviews I’ve followed from her days at the LATimes. She liked the film a lot, I thought...

I just read Manohla Dargis’ review....she’s someone whose reviews I’ve followed from her days at the LATimes. She liked the film a lot, I thought...

The two Times film critics saw the film. They both named it in the category of other valuable films.

I am only mentioning the uneven distribution policy, not the quality of the film which I have not seen yet.

The two Times film critics saw the film. They both named it in the category of other valuable films.

I am only mentioning the uneven distribution policy, not the quality of the film which I have not seen yet.

And my comment is due to the fact that I've hit the paywall right when I wanted to find out their critics' 10 best films for the year...:(

I'm glad you'll be seeing it soon, though!

And my comment is due to the fact that I've hit the paywall right when I wanted to find out their critics' 10 best films for the year...:(

The lists are in the print edition of Sunday's Times. Dunkirk only made one list. Here are the films on both lists (in no particular order): The Florida Project, Get Out, Lady Bird, A Quiet Passion, Phantom Thread.

Those films are surrounded by some strange other choices by both critics. Most definitely some of the most idiosyncratic choices kept other films off the lists.

Saw this the second time. While the father's speech and Elio's amazingly expressive face at the end credits lingered in my mind the first time, this time it's the intense eroticism that stayed with me. Amazingly, there's no frontal nudity or too much skin exposed. And Luca loves those frontal shots. (See A Bigger Splash.) Only goes to show sensuality is mostly in the brain and not in the crotch. And I won't be able to look at a peach again without getting aroused!

Edited by tchm