Daily Russell Tovey

LoveNDino

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@TruthBTold - Was it the reference to an interview Matt Wolff made with F. Murray Abraham, or was it the reference to Andrew Garfield and Denise Gough while talking about the rhythm of the play?

I cannot find anything on the latter...

I found this on the former, with the following exchange:

Matt Wolf: Are you visiting while you’re in London with your "Only a Play" castmates Stockard Channing and Nathan Lane, both of whom are either currently acting, or about to act, on the London stage as well?

F. Murray Abraham: We’re actually supposed to get together after the show one night this week, but I don’t know about Nathan. I have a feeling after that show [Angels in America] that he’s going to go home and collapse.

Matt Wolf: Did you have any words of advice for Nathan, given that you also played Roy Cohn in Angels in America?

F. Murray Abraham: I think for him as a gay man the ramifications [of the part] are quite different. For me, the biggest difficulty I had was that I hated Roy Cohn, and you cannot play a character you hate. With Nathan, he told me that the problem was playing a gay man who wasn’t permitted to come out in that period so has turned into that vicious person, and how you enter into that mindset. He’s confronting it from the other point of view.

@TruthBTold - Was it the reference to an interview Matt Wolff made with F. Murray Abraham, or was it the reference to Andrew Garfield and Denise Gough while talking about the rhythm of the play?

It was the latter. I did not know if they were fellow actors in the play or exactly who they were. I think they are actors and also have an interview with the same person.

Just to say, however, I can't imagine being the actress in the characters that were done by Meryl Streep. I have not seen it so I am so hoping that she is great. I'm sure she is. I have downloaded it.

Edited by TruthBTold

...I have not seen it so I am so hoping that she is great.

giphy.gif

Kidding aside, in the HBO mini-series, Meryl Streep, Emma Thomspon, and Mary-Louise Parker were everything. Patrick Wilson was heartbreaking. I loved Justin Kirk and Jeffrey Wright. And Al Pacino? Al Pacino was being Al Pacino. It's worth all those hours lost in front of the TV.

Here's a taste...

And the accolades that came after, like this Emmy she got (notice the competition)...

And the Golden Globe...

giphy.gif

Kidding aside, in the HBO mini-series, Meryl Streep, Emma Thomspon, and Mary-Louise Parker were everything. Patrick Wilson was heartbreaking. I loved Justin Kirk and Jeffrey Wright. And Al Pacino? Al Pacino was being Al Pacino. It's worth all those hours lost in front of the TV.

I'm sorry I misspoke. I have seen the HBO series and was amazed by all the performances but especially by Meryl Streep's. It is a truly great production. I meant that I had not seen the London production BUT I have downloaded it and intend to watch it. Thanks for the clips tho. Especially Streep's various speeches. TBT

F. Murray Abraham: I think for him as a gay man the ramifications [of the part] are quite different. For me, the biggest difficulty I had was that I hated Roy Cohn, and you cannot play a character you hate. With Nathan, he told me that the problem was playing a gay man who wasn’t permitted to come out in that period so has turned into that vicious person, and how you enter into that mindset. He’s confronting it from the other point of view.

He's kinder to Roy Cohn than necessary.

I passed on the recent London "Angel in America" showings even though I had tickets. Sorry I missed Nathan Lane though.

Jonas Kaufmann's "Otello" was playing at the same time.

What a decision for you if it was an either/or situation! For me, I would have attended Otello live, but caught the HD telecast of AiA Parts 1 and 2 in the movie theatre, which you could probably still be able to catch in future encore showings! I did not have to make that choice as I was stuck here in the US of A and felt privileged to see both the Otello AND this production of National Theatre's Angels in America in my local movie theater! Of course, seeing both live would have been more thrilling, but I am truly grateful that I was able to experience them, even if only on video!

TruHart1 :cool:

I'm sorry I misspoke. I have seen the HBO series and was amazed by all the performances but especially by Meryl Streep's. It is a truly great production. I meant that I had not seen the London production BUT I have downloaded it and intend to watch it. Thanks for the clips tho. Especially Streep's various speeches. TBT

Oh it's me :) And anytime!

What a decision for you if it was an either/or situation!

A friend was visiting from California. So I let him make the choice.

I saw the original production of "Angels in American" on Broadway. As much as I liked the opera, it was not the same as seeing in person. I may have felt the same about Angels.