Daily Russell Tovey

LoveNDino

RUSSELL TOVEY FOUND EFFEMINATE GAY MEN CONTROVERSY ‘VERY UPSETTING’

The Pass star received a backlash last year for comments he made about his masculine persona.

http://attitude.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Tovey.jpg

Russell Tovey has reflected on controversial comments he made last year about effeminate gay men in a new interview with the Metro, published today (December 8).

The Looking star was heavily criticised in March 2015 after revealing that he was grateful for being sent to a school where he wasn’t allowed to “prance around” and was forced to “toughen up”, saying that he could have become “really effeminate” otherwise.

Reflecting on the backlash he received, Tovey told Metro that he “never meant to upset anyone”, and that he took the comments to heart.

“Things come out the way you don’t intend them too”, he explained. “It was a very upsetting time for me. I wasn’t expecting that sort of attention.”

He continued: “I learned a lot from it and I’ve grown from it. It’s made me feel more impassioned about my responsibility, which I took for granted.

“I never set out to be anything other than an actor, but when you’re from a minority of any type and become successful you become an ambassador by proxy, which is something I’m fine with now.”

The 35-year-old, whose latest film The Pass hits cinemas tomorrow (December 9), went on to say he believes that social media exacerbated the controversy.

“It’s the phenomenon of social media”, he said. “You’ll always make some people unhappy no matter what you say. You can say, ‘I really like this blue shirt’, then other people will say, ‘Blue makes me sad, how dare you’.

“I’ve found you’ve just got to be true to yourself, be a good person and the work should speak for itself”.

He added: I have to do interviews and now I’m more understanding of what I say and what it means”.

Despite trying to put on macho airs growing up, Tovey said in an interview last month that he never struggled with his actual sexuality growing up, explaining that he “was never tortured about being gay in the way that Jason [his character in The Pass] is.

Print copies are available to order globally from newsstand.co.uk/attitude.

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@tennisjock

You asked, so...

Apparently, this is Daniel Unda who has been described by our Russell as "the best Venezuelan in the world," whatever that means...

and @TruthBTold, pretty sure the hands have gone there...

Bvv7pA6CMAAiJih.jpg

189a1602ca0c3e1677f07c1eb5418ac0.jpg

B7ZqgQAIcAA_AuY.jpg

B7U8SIyIUAIsksC.jpg

e9a428c4ab8779469af7e1fa4ee4099d--russell.jpg

741b2395e56bd4ee60b21b57be235b51--russell.jpg

Though they were a hot couple, it does appear that both Russell and Mr. Unda have moved on to new boyfriends! It seems the only permanent partner Russell has is his baby boy Rocky!

TruHart1 :cool: