Runaway Bride = Towel Head

glutes
This topic is 6923 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m saying that the expenses incurred by the NM authorities and the FBI **IN RESPONSE TO HER REPORT OF KIDNAPING** (please note emphasis) were probably relatively minimal. It seems agreed that her story (lie) wasn’t part of a well-thought out hoax, but rather an ill-advised and pretty transparent attempt to cover her ass. The Albuquerque and on-site FBI investigators, unless they are absolute idiots, were never going to be fooled for long by it. The Georgia folks, besides just talking to her on the phone, also would have received reports from the professionals expressing their opinions on the shakiness of her story. The New Mexico authorities kept her in custody only briefly, and apparently gave her a rather sympathetic sendoff. Nevertheless, the general consensus does seem to be that she should suffer for her actions somehow at the hands of society, above and beyond whatever personal suffering and turmoil she might be going through.

I’ll really dig myself a hole and go all sociological here. How much of the ill will being expressed towards this bride stems from gender bias? Here she is, a reasonably attractive young woman, on the verge of a big production number wedding. It seems a pretty pious community, the type where the sentiment that a wife should know her place might not be uncommon. The families are obviously well-to-do, and there’s likely been scads of input from all involved on exactly how this event should have run. And here this dutiful daughter, this beautiful helpmeet-to-be, ups and thinks for herself and thinks maybe this isn’t what *I* want. Horrors!!! She’s upset the expectations of her family, her church, her community. She must be punished!

Before I’m overwhelmed with protestations of your freedom from bias ... don’t take my inferences personally. Think about it in terms of how the reporting of the story has gone, the reporting that’s giving you the facts on which you’re basing your opinions. Then pile on. :7

Not wanting to get married is her prerogative. Doing what she did, however, is not only extremely childish, but incredibly selfish as well. She obviously planned it, having bought her tickets in advance. I can't imagine putting all of those people through that heartache. Did you see all of those people crying on TV, passing out flyers, searching through the woods, and so forth? What kind of a monster would let something like that go on?

I feel she should definitely be made to pay back at least the direct costs of her actions, and perhaps the emotional ones as well. She obviously knew the havoc she was creating. What I find almost as wacky as her behavior, is her fiance's interest in getting back with her. There can't be any clearer message that this marriage would be a be mistake...

>I’m saying that the expenses incurred by the NM authorities

>and the FBI **IN RESPONSE TO HER REPORT OF KIDNAPING** (please

>note emphasis) were probably relatively minimal.

Minimal schinimal. They are public expenditures that would not have been made had this woman not made false claims!

>It seems

>agreed that her story (lie) wasn’t part of a well-thought out

>hoax, but rather an ill-advised and pretty transparent attempt

>to cover her ass.

And she should pay for her peabrained scheme. I wouldn't really push for jail time, but she sure as hell should pay for any expenses directly attributable to her false claims.

>The Albuquerque and on-site FBI

>investigators, unless they are absolute idiots, were never

>going to be fooled for long by it.

It shouldn't have happened, period. She caused public funds to be needlessly (mis)used.

>The Georgia folks, besides

>just talking to her on the phone, also would have received

>reports from the professionals expressing their opinions on

>the shakiness of her story.

The laws against making false reports aren't based on whether an outside professional would deem the story shaky or not.

>The New Mexico authorities kept

>her in custody only briefly, and apparently gave her a rather

>sympathetic sendoff.

Sure they should treat her with dignity & respect. That has nothing to do with making her reimburse for the needless expenditure of public funds she caused.

>Nevertheless, the general consensus does

>seem to be that she should suffer for her actions somehow at

>the hands of society, above and beyond whatever personal

>suffering and turmoil she might be going through.

Oh, he didn't mean to kill that guy... he had a rough day! Golly, isn't it enough that he feels badly about it?

>I’ll really dig myself a hole and go all sociological here.

It is a legal issue, not a sociological issue.

>How much of the ill will being expressed towards this bride

>stems from gender bias?

None from me. Had a man caused needless expenditure of public funds, I'd call for him to make restitution as well.

>the type where the

>sentiment that a wife should know her place might not be

>uncommon.

No person, wives included, have the right to lie to public authorities & cause them to spend THE PEOPLE'S MONEY.

>ups and thinks for herself and

>thinks maybe this isn’t what *I* want. Horrors!!! She’s upset

>the expectations of her family, her church, her community. She

>must be punished!

No. She had every right to bail on the marriage--even to skip town. What she had NO RIGHT to do was make false reports/claims to the authorities.

>Before I’m overwhelmed with protestations of your freedom from

>bias ... don’t take my inferences personally. Think about it

>in terms of how the reporting of the story has gone, the

>reporting that’s giving you the facts on which you’re basing

>your opinions. Then pile on. :7

My opinion concerns her unlawful acts & the waste of public funds. I don't care about the woman or how gosh darned hard it must be for her to be wealthy in suburban Atlanta. What I care about is the squandering of scarce public resources.

Guest zipperzone

>My opinion concerns her unlawful acts & the waste of public

>funds. I don't care about the woman or how gosh darned hard

>it must be for her to be wealthy in suburban Atlanta. What I

>care about is the squandering of scarce public resources.

Wow - you're just full of good old Christian charity right?

Opps - I forgot - you're Jewish.

Guest RandyRon

What's the real story?

I may have this story completely confused and if so I'll pull an Emily Latilla (Never mind!). I thought that it was her family that notified authorities that she was missing (abducted?) not her. I thought she only contacted authorities after she got to NM. If this is the case, she had nothing to do with the giant hunt that caused all the expense. It would then seem that it is her family that caused the manhunt and sent LE into overtime and so if anyone should be responsible for paying for this it is them not her. The only responsibility she bears if for what happened after she called the authorities from NM and I don't think it caused that much expense at that point.

As a side note; if her future husband needs comforting, I'll take him on the rebound. I think he's a hunk. :9

>I’m saying that the expenses incurred by the NM authorities

>and the FBI **IN RESPONSE TO HER REPORT OF KIDNAPING** (please

>note emphasis) were probably relatively minimal.

In my state, deliberately making a false report of a crime is a felony. And that is not conditional on how much money law enforcement spends investigating the report. Nor should it be. How many people were trying to get through to a 911 operator to report a REAL emergency while this woman was tying up an operator to perpetrate a hoax?

>It seems a pretty pious community, the type where the

>sentiment that a wife should know her place might not be

>uncommon. The families are obviously well-to-do, and there’s

>likely been scads of input from all involved on exactly how

>this event should have run. And here this dutiful daughter,

>this beautiful helpmeet-to-be, ups and thinks for herself and

>thinks maybe this isn’t what *I* want. Horrors!!! She’s upset

>the expectations of her family, her church, her community. She

>must be punished!

You make the Atlanta suburbs sound like Brigadoon. They are not. A woman living there is not isolated from the knowledge that if she does not want to participate in a huge wedding she has the right to refuse. So why didn't she simply do that?

Guest ChgoBoy

RE: Runaway Bride - the sequel

What about the Bridal shower gifts? What about the gifts? Does she keep them?

I'm Presbyterian, but thank you for your comment. It is always nice to be able to discuss some issue, without having things turn into personal insults and accusations.

If this woman was so stressed by her upcoming nuptuals, that is a sad thing. Sad doesn't excuse the needless spending of public funds, though. Why you'd turn it into a personal attack on me escapes me.

Hmm... I demand that this thread be locked. I don't like the things being said about me.

(Anyone want to hold his breath waiting for it to happen?)

}(

RE: What's the real story?

>I thought she only contacted authorities

>after she got to NM.

She called 911 & claimed--between sobs--that she was kidnapped & that those who did so had a firearm.

>The only

>responsibility she bears if for what happened after she called

>the authorities from NM and I don't think it caused that much

>expense at that point.

As woodlawn pointed out, "that much" isn't the gauge here. She made a false report to the authorities, diverting time & resources from the legitimate needs of the public.

Guest ChgoBoy

>>My opinion concerns her unlawful acts & the waste of public

>>funds. I don't care about the woman or how gosh darned hard

>>it must be for her to be wealthy in suburban Atlanta. What

>I

>>care about is the squandering of scarce public resources.

>

>Wow - you're just full of good old Christian charity right?

>

>Opps - I forgot - you're Jewish.

What does being Jewish have anything to do with this?????????

>What does being Jewish have anything to do with this?????????

It has nothing to do with anything. Firstly, because it isn't true. Secondly, it is just a bizarre personal attack on me. Well, perhaps not so bizarre, since it happens all the time. Nonetheless, it has no bearing on whether this woman should be forced to make restitution for lying to the authorities.

Guest zipperzone

>Secondly, it is just a bizarre personal attack on me.

Personal attack??? Give me a break!

Nothing has changed since the days when you were posting as Ethan in DC and everytime any word that had to do with the Jewish faith appeared, you declared it a "personal attack"

Honey buns - you wouldn't know a personal attack if it hit you between the eyes!

And the point I wanted to make - which you are determined to ignore - is that even if she made a mistake in filing the false report (which could be argued was understandable given the mental stress she must have been under at the time) any compassionate person would be willing to give her a break - something you are obviously not inclined to do.

Remember - what goes around, comes around. There may come a day when you need a little bit of compassion yourself.

>Remember - what goes around, comes around. There may come a

>day when you need a little bit of compassion yourself.

And I'll know better than to expect it from you.

By the way, I've never posted as anyone in DC.

As usual, you're welcome to wrongly think anything you want, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

RE: Runaway Bride - the sequel

Oliver said it all..A while Back...We have all seen the "Movie" already..Julia Roberts did a nice job. BUT we don't need a Sequal.Her Scary Photo is really "Creepin me Out"...I usually don't remember what the "Girls" look like, being into "Guys"... But the Stare is unforgetable! LOL :+

Archived