HBO - The Leftovers

This topic is 2527 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just watched the episode you referenced. Oh, yes! Not only full frontal nudity running around in a submarine but setting off a nuclear weapon! WOW! That was quite an opening.

This was my 1st time watching. Was this the 1st full frontal or does it happen often? And, is the show worth watching?

Thanks @feldersteve for sharing this info. Nice to see HBO pushing the envelope.

Coop

There were a couple of frontals last season (season 2); I think this was the first this season. So I wouldn't say it was often. Last season had Justin Theroux naked several times, but no frontal. I like the show - it is pretty convoluted though. I think this season is the the final one.

I started watching The Leftovers when I finished Breaking Bad. I gave up at the end of season one because it was so dark. It's getting more and more difficult to find shows where every character isn't grim. If there's nudity, and if they actually plan to bring the plot to resolution maybe I'll pick it up again.

Season one was outstanding. Season two got a little weird at times and you needed a cheat sheet to remember the multi-plot lines. Season three, and final, has much tighter writing, amazing acting, and the myriad threads are beginning to make more sense each week. And just watching Justin Theroux breathe is enough to want to lick the screen. Twice.

• 2 weeks later...

I binge-watched Season 3 over the weekend so I would be ready for the finale last night. What a fantastic show! I was somewhat ambivalent about it during the first season and grew to like it more in the second season. Season 3 really hit it out of the park.

And can we all agree that Justin Theroux is now and forever shall be Hunky Jesus? That title should be formally awarded to him (perhaps a special Emmy?) and then permanently retired.

Emily Nausbaum at the New Yorker compared watching The Leftovers to listening to Portishead while on Percoset just after surgery and goes on to say she's done exactly that and it's not without it's charm. I love her. I love this show. It ended perfectly. I never saw one episode of Lost, so, thankfully, I have nothing outside The Leftovers to weigh it against. I love it for itself. I'll be rewatching episodes for years.

Was she thinking of this Portishead* song, or all of them?

*You need to turn up the volume. A lot.

Archived