Johnsons in Ft Lauderdale

DR FREUD
This topic is 2337 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

hi Matt , did i read some where that Johnsons is Smoke free inside? If it is, I think if you let people know that, it will help your business. I come to Ftl often, but when i go to Leboy the smoke is so bad inside i have to keep walking out side . When i get back to hotel i leave my clothes out side. Boardwalk is almost as bad. I will come to your club next trip

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped by Johnsons tonight. I arrived close to 8:30 and stayed until a little after 10:00.

I like the set up very much. The place is divided into two rooms with the primary bar in one room and the stage in the second.

When I arrived, there were three or four groups in the bar area, and one other patron in the stage room. During my visit, several guests came and went and the audience continued to build.

Big kudos to @Matt Colunga and his team. I found the following things very much to my liking:

*no smoking indoors

*friendly bar and service team

*great control of the volume for the music, loud enough it was easy to hear, but did not drown out a conversation.

*lap dance area was spacious and comfortable.

*nice variety of dancers.

Did I say dancers? Yes, the guys did something more than just pose.

I hope to male one more visit while I am still in town.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There was just recently a post by Johnsons on Facebook. What they said was, that after Nov. 21 there would be no more female dancers, they would leave that up to other bars. And starting on November 28 there would be male entertainers only.

I'm confused. Were there both male and female dancers there since they opened? I don't remember reading about that.

There was just recently a post by Johnsons on Facebook. What they said was, that after Nov. 21 there would be no more female dancers, they would leave that up to other bars. And starting on November 28 there would be male entertainers only.

I'm confused. Were there both male and female dancers there since they opened? I don't remember reading about that.

By “girls” I think Matt meant drag queens. Tuesday was their non-stripper drag night.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Any recent updates from Ft Laud? I’ll be in South Florida later this week and plan to again visit LeBoy, Boardwalk, and Johnson’s. Would also love to know if James from Denver still works at Johnson’s and if so, which nights.

Happy to report report back after my visit!

I was there a couple of weeks ago and had a great time at Johnson's. They are working hard at making it a good experience for customers and dancers alike. Still seem to be experimenting with the pricing -- as of my visit, they were open every night except Mondays, with a $5 cover charge on Sun, Tu, Th, no cover charge on Wed, and a $10 cover on F, Sat. They also didn't require a $10 lap dance wristband on the Tuesday I was there, perhaps because they had just started having dancers on Tuesdays.

There is a separate, small, quiet bar where it's easy to carry on a conversation. But even in the main room where the dancers are, the sound is kept at a reasonable level. There's a waiter in the main room and the drinks are not unduly expensive -- $3 for a coke, for example (but $7 for a beer).

It reminds me a little of Stock in Montreal. But the room, while nicely furnished and arranged, has a more intimate feel than Stock. And 95% of the dancers smiled, made eye contact, and actually danced (or did pole rountines) on stage -- no "muscle shuffle."

There is a fair amount of on-site parking which fills up at busy times. There is paid on-street parking and a municipal (paid) parking lot with lots of space is only a block away on 26th Street.

By the way, a friend and I stopped in at Boardwalk around 8:30 pm one evening, thinking to scope it out before the 9 pm cover charge took effect. Guess what? Boardwalk is now charging a cover starting at 8 pm, PLUS they have a 2 drink/$20 minimum. (This was a week night.)

• 2 weeks later...

I went to LeBoy, Johnson’s, and Boardwalk on both Thursday and Friday nights. Overall, Thursday was the slower of the two nights.

LeBoy: no cover but I paid $4-5 to self park. I prefer thicker/muscle guys over twinks so I always at least pass by in the hopes of finding new dancers. However, not much has changed - same old twinks but a few newer dancers I hadn’t seen before. I will say some of the new dancers were more athletic build than twink so hopefully things are changing slowly. I’ll add that I felt LeBoy was the liveliest of the three. Good music, atmosphere, etc.

Johnson’s: easy, free parking but $10 cover each night. Drinks (beer) was considerably the best value of the three. Thursday was pretty slow but picked up on Saturday. 10-15 dancers with a good mix of all kinds: white, Black, hispanic, twink to massively muscular. Lots of Spaniards and Argentines. The light skinned African American twink with shaggy hair now dances here (!!!) - I recall a thread on him. Most of the dancers looked familiar, mostly from Boardwalk. There were a few I hadn’t recognized, including a massive bodybuilder from Spain. Had a private with Conrad - a young, muscled Argentine that has the all American look of a Midwesterner. $10 for the wristband and he charged $20/song. The private lap dance area is fairly private but just have to keep on an on the curtain because it opens towards the stage/main area. Honestly, I was hoping to see a lot more NEW guys I hadn’t seen before.

Boardwalk: same old same. $10 cover on Friday. They handed me a card that if I filled it out with my name and email, cover would be free on Saturday when I returned, so I did that. It was surprisingly slow both night, seemed the most “blah” of all three. I usually enjoy BW the most but just wasn’t feeling it. Same dancers as usual, didn’t noticed anyone new.

Overall, I was surprised I didn’t see more new dancers in town for the season. I realize it was right before Christmas so that might explain it. But I’m hopeful the quality of dancers picks up in the new year.

One last pet peeve, I wish the dancers would at least acknowledge customers. Amazing how often they go straight to older customers when I’m more than willing to tip you generously if you just acknowledge me and strike up some small talk.

Sorry for the long post but hope this is helpful!